How Do I Buy Things on eBay?

Kyocobra

I'm sorry if I'm just another contributor to a massive number of eBay noobs posting topics on various forums, but hopefully these aren't too difficult to answer.

Anyway, I went on eBay for the first time yesterday and found some pretty cool deals; one of them is a bidding set to end in about 3 hours. Since eBay is a sketchy website in my opinion, I would just like some extra clarification and expectations before I bid. Here are a few of my questions as a buyer:

1. So let's say I bid x amount--do I have to prove I have the money beforehand or will eBay let me place it without question?

2. Then, assuming I win the bid, what happens? Must I contact the seller through email, tell them my address, and then make the payment through Paypal or something?

3. What if the seller does not send the item/does not respond to my emails? Will eBay easily handle that and give me a refund (to a certain price range)?

4. What if I were to win the bid, but not pay up? Would eBay get on my ass and call the cops?

5. On listings stating the price of shipping, and assuming I live in the region where it qualifies, will I actually be paying that amount (plus my bid)? Or can sellers somehow cheat their way into making me pay more money by somehow saying the shipping now costs say $20 instead of $3, $3 being the price posted in the listing?

6. Also, is there a preferred payment method? Which is the most secure for myself and the seller?

-Sorry if I don't know what I'm talking about

Thanks for your input!

Semi-cool guy

1. Nope you don't need to prove it

2. You provide your shipping details to ebay and you can use Paypal or a credit/debit card

3. Yes ebay takes care of it

4. Nothing. Ebay would spam you though and the seller would try and contact you

5. Depends on the option he choose for shipping (Calculated by area, or one price)

6. Ebay prefers PayPal

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I'm sorry if I'm just another contributor to a massive number of eBay noobs posting topics on various forums, but hopefully these aren't too difficult to answer.

Anyway, I went on eBay for the first time yesterday and found some pretty cool deals; one of them is a bidding set to end in about 3 hours. Since eBay is a sketchy website in my opinion, I would just like some extra clarification and expectations before I bid. Here are a few of my questions as a buyer:

1. So let's say I bid x amount--do I have to prove I have the money beforehand or will eBay let me place it without question?

2. Then, assuming I win the bid, what happens? Must I contact the seller through email, tell them my address, and then make the payment through Paypal or something?

3. What if the seller does not send the item/does not respond to my emails? Will eBay easily handle that and give me a refund (to a certain price range)?

4. What if I were to win the bid, but not pay up? Would eBay get on my ass and call the cops?

5. On listings stating the price of shipping, and assuming I live in the region where it qualifies, will I actually be paying that amount (plus my bid)? Or can sellers somehow cheat their way into making me pay more money by somehow saying the shipping now costs say $20 instead of $3, $3 being the price posted in the listing?

6. Also, is there a preferred payment method? Which is the most secure for myself and the seller?

Thanks for your input!

1. as long as you have a payment method they don't. 

2. your address is given to them when you win the auction, if you win. they send the item to you, no need to email them

3.as long as you use paypal you are good, paypal will refund you 100% if you do not get the item or if it is not as described.

4. They would try to charge the payment method on file, and then blacklist the account

5. yes, shipping + bid.

6.paypal

1) You don't have to prove, but you have to pay if you are the winning bid and enter a legally binding contract through bidding. 

2) Once winning, you just click pay now, where you will pay through Paypal and then just wait to receive it. 

3) eBay will refund you if they decide in your favour, which would be the case if that happened. 

4) Not sure, but you'd certainly have issues with your eBay and PayPal account with holds and things

5) Nope, you only ever pay the winning bid or fixed amount, plus the shipping costs. In some cases, you may need to pay import charged but you're usually told prior. 

6) PayPal is the most preferred on eBay. 

1.) You put down a bid whether you have the money or not. If you don't pay for the product, the seller has the ability to go down to the next highest bidder.

2.)The address should already be in your account. Your address will be revealed if you win the bid and most people use PayPal for transactions.

3.)If the seller has no proof that they sent out the product, you can get a refund pretty easily.

4.) You don't get the product and the seller can open a case or move down to the next bidder.

5.)That's the amount you pay.

6.) PayPal.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Thanks for your input!

1) no u dont need to prove u have the $ cause u have a credit card on ur paypal

2) When u win u pay by tapping "pay now" and it useses paypal u dont need to talk to the seller unless there is a problem of DOA or delivery

3)if seller ignores u ebay can step in, depends on the problem though

4) no its not just ethically right to do that, if the item is like over 1000$ the seller may sue u and ebay can block u

5) Yeah they can theoretically cheat u into paying more for shipping but it doesent usually happen

6) paypal only

heppy buying/selling

i use ebay daily almost

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Really great answers guys, I appreciate it!

This particular listing is meant for buying the same item but with the ability to choose which color I want.

"Please leave a message for which color you want!"

So what would I do here? Do I message the eBay user through email or through eBay itself? And should this be done prior to or after the bid has closed?

Semi-cool guy

This particular listing is meant for buying the same item but with the ability to choose which color I want.

So what would I do here? Do I message the eBay user through email or through eBay itself? And should this be done prior to or after the bid has closed?

it should have an option to select the color, or just leave a message when you send him the paypal funds

as an example this item has color options, so there is a dropdown menu to select them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-SOFT-SILICONE-RUBBER-CASE-SKIN-COVER-FOR-IPHONE-5-5S-BACK-COVER-/141405215678?var=&hash=item20ec685bbe

In the PayPal transaction, you can leave a message to the seller. Or, just send them a message after or prior to the purchase.

Y'all are amazing! :P Although I'm not replying directly, every answer helped, thanks so much!

Semi-cool guy

Y'all are amazing! :P Although I'm not replying directly, every answer helped, thanks so much!

Yes, i am  we are

dustoff.gif

Oh, one more thing!

If I were to win a bid, but not be present at the computer when it ends, will I still be able to pay the seller without them giving up on me? Maybe an hour-or-so later?

Semi-cool guy

Oh, one more thing!

If I were to win a bid, but not be present at the computer when it ends, will I still be able to pay the seller without them giving up on me? Maybe an hour-or-so later?

yes, most sellers have a 2 day period for payment, some have one, it should all be in the description.

Thanks for all your help guys! I just one my first auction! <3

Semi-cool guy

1. depends on the seller, if he sends right away, you can basicly get a free item

2.you get an option to pay for it right now, if you dont the seller can cancel your bid?

3.yes, they should, but i dont know how it works

4.no, the seller just wont send the item, if he does its his fault, ebay might lock your accaunt, congrats for free item!

5.yes they can, once saw a 80€ case , with shipping for 400€

6.ebay only uses paypal

correct me if wrong

i bid on some headphones, and didnt pay for the, the seller is still selling them lol

Sample Text ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)