Is this a bad way to remove thermal paste?

I'll probably use paper towels to remove most of the older thermal paste, then use q-tips dipped in 70% icyprophyl alcohol to remove the rest. Is this bad?

I'll probably use paper towels to remove most of the older thermal paste, then use q-tips dipped in 70% icyprophyl alcohol to remove the rest. Is this bad?

Isopropyl alcohol is the proper way of removing it I don't see a problem with that and using a Q-tip.

That will be fine, but you might get fibers everywhere. Coffee filters or a microfiber cloth is optimal. And from personal experience 70% alcohol can be a pain in the ass to use.

Spoiler

Prometheus (Main Rig)

CPU-Z Verification

Laptop: 

Spoiler

Intel Core i3-5005U, 8GB RAM, Crucial MX 100 128GB, Touch-Screen, Intel 7260 WiFi/Bluetooth card.

Phone:

Game Consoles:

Spoiler

Softmodded Fat PS2 w/ 80GB HDD, and a Dreamcast.

If you want my attention quote my post, or tag me. If you don't use PCPartPicker I will ignore your build.

Isopropyl alcohol is the proper way of removing it I don't see a problem with that and using a Q-tip.

I've heard that you should use a coffee filter, I'm wondering if paper towels will still be fine.

That will be fine, but you might get fibers everywhere. Coffee filters or a microfiber cloth is optimal. And from personal experience 70% alcohol can be a pain in the ass to use.

Will the fibers mess anything up? Or just be a pain?

I use cotton balls which leave behind fibers but do an excellent job removing thermal paste with minimal fuss.  The fibers are no big deal, I just shoot a blast of compressed air once the alcohol dries to get rid of them.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I've heard that you should use a coffee filter, I'm wondering if paper towels will still be fine.

It's mainly just the fibers or dust from the paper towel but as long as it's not coming off and getting everywhere it's not a huge problem.

They are better, but paper towels are decent if you don't have coffee filters.

Will the fibers mess anything up? Or just be a pain?

If they get between the CPU and heatsink, they can reduce performance.

I've always been told to use 99% icyprophyl alcohol as it evaporates faster, and the q-tips will be fine, although coffee filters do the job "better" if you have some nearby.

Hardware: 4790k @ 4.6 GHz w/ H100i - MSI GTX 970 - Define R5 - MSI Z97 PC Mate - 840 EVO - G.Skill 2x4 GB

Peripherals: G402 - ATH-AD700x - Asus VG248QE 144 hz

I mean based off of #advantagerag and the side of the box there isn't a super terrible way to clean it off. You are probably fine with your method.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

Paper towels to get most of the gunk off. Q-tips to get the outer edges. Coffee filters to clean the die with 91% or greater isopropyl alcohol.

CPU: Intel Core i7 7820X Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series H110i GTX Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 (3000MHz/16GB 2x8) SSD: 2x Samsung 850 Evo (250/250GB) + Samsung 850 Pro (512GB) GPU: NVidia GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FE (W/ EVGA Hybrid Kit) Case: Corsair Graphite Series 760T (Black) PSU: SeaSonic Platinum Series (860W) Monitor: Acer Predator XB241YU (165Hz / G-Sync) Fan Controller: NZXT Sentry Mix 2 Case Fans: Intake - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Radiator - 2x Noctua NF-A14 iPPC-3000 PWM / Rear Exhaust - 1x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC-3000 PWM

They are better, but paper towels are decent if you don't have coffee filters.

If they get between the CPU and heatsink, they can reduce performance.

My parents don't drink coffee, but I just found really old coffee filters.