Anyone on Virgin Media facing this issue?

Sir Asvald

I'm really angry at the moment! Paying £45 for this junk of ISP. 

I've called them. They just wait it out. "it'll come back to the normal speeds". Well This has been going on for past month and a half! <-- I told them that, "you need to wait"

4552041040.png This should be at least  50mb/s download and 5mb/s upload

Is there any ISP that provide Gigabit connection? UK Based. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Threaten to leave them. They generally perk up and offer better deals if you do that.

Make sure you know what better offers there are to threaten them.

"I can get this for this much and look at what you guys are doing"

My speed have been going down and ping going up recently also. But, they are improving their infrastructure to my knowledge, and I really hope they will also implement IPv6 at some point also.

Disclaimer : I might be wrong.

Threaten to leave them. They generally perk up and offer better deals if you do that.

Make sure you know what better offers there are to threaten them.

"I can get this for this much and look at what you guys are doing"

We have! trust me. We haven't yet found an ISP that provides Gigabit. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Wow you're paying £45 for those speeds, and it has been like this for over a month with no fix? 

If you're looking to switch ISP then I would advice not just looking for the ones with the best quoted speed, but ask the people in your local area what they are on, and what kind of speeds they are getting on certain ISPs, because it really does just depend on the area you're in. 

Like BT for me at home are great, I get amazing speeds, but if I were to go with BT at uni for the same contract deal and everything it would be a shit show and I'd be getting way less than 50% the speeds I get at home. 

I'm surprised Virgin Media are the ones giving you a bad deal though, I normally hear great things from everyone on their new fibre lines :/

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Then you're fucked.

If they don't do anything after threatening then they don't care soz. 

Found this:

https://hyperoptic.com/

Seems to be good. 

Wow you're paying £45 for those speeds, and it has been like this for over a month with no fix? 

If you're looking to switch ISP then I would advice not just looking for the ones with the best quoted speed, but ask the people in your local area what they are on, and what kind of speeds they are getting on certain ISPs, because it really does just depend on the area you're in. 

Like BT for me at home are great, I get amazing speeds, but if I were to go with BT at uni for the same contract deal and everything it would be a shit show and I'd be getting way less than 50% the speeds I get at home. 

I'm surprised Virgin Media are the ones giving you a bad deal though, I normally hear great things from everyone on their new fibre lines :/

I know. Most of the people in our streets use Virgin Media as well. They have the same issue as me. Really low speeds. :(

That is dreadful.

My parents are with VM and I have to say, I have always noticed since moving to Lincolnshire to an ADSL only area, the service is shit.

We have BT Infinity now and it is actually sometimes a better experience to use HSDPA for Teamviewer to my home PC. Shocking, really.

That is dreadful.

My parents are with VM and I have to say, I have always noticed since moving to Lincolnshire to an ADSL only area, the service is shit.

We have BT Infinity now and it is actually sometimes a better experience to use HSDPA for Teamviewer to my home PC. Shocking, really.

Oh, by the way. We're using "Fibre"

Then you're fucked.

If they don't do anything after threatening then they don't care soz. 

He can't be if he is on Virgin Media. HUEHUEHUE SO FUNNY NSFW JOKES

no but seriously, get a new ISP. This one seems to be ripping people off

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

He can't be if he is on Virgin Media. HUEHUEHUE SO FUNNY NSFW JOKES

no but seriously, get a new ISP. This one seems to be ripping people off

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=virgin%20slow%20internet%20speeds%20at%20night

Oh, by the way. We're using "Fibre"

Yes, I know. I was trying to make the comparison between my parents fibre and my ADSL connection when I first moved being shit.

Tired so I'm terrible at telling stories/facts/etc.

TLDR: My BT connection even when it was standard ADSL has always been better than VM fibre. My BT fibre connection totally monsters the VM one.

There's a BT FTTC unit a 2 minute walk from my house - definitely don't think of getting Gigabit around here though, everyone is on BT. The upload speeds and download speeds are OK most of the time - but I think the fluctuation is actually down to the cluttered WiFi around here.

The ping is consistently 7ms (trust me, that's more important than the speed if you're not into downloading alot) which makes even 20ms seem like a long time when I'm on others' internet. I've used other ISPs while at other friends' and relatives houses, namely Sky and EE Bright Box, they are absolutely horrible. Avoid them like a disease - unless 100KB/s up & down with dreadful 25-30ms ping satisfies you.

FljJs9Q.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

What speed do you usually get? or those your normal speeds?

What speed do you usually get? or those your normal speeds?

Usually get around 20Mb/s+ down, and the upload speed never changes, usually always around 9/10Mb/s.

VnxObJC.png

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Sky and TalkTalk are joining forces to make this

https://www.ultrafibreoptic.co.uk/

I've signed up to register my interest with it.

System Specs:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X

GPU: Radeon RX 7900 XT 

RAM: 32GB 3600MHz

HDD: 1TB Sabrent NVMe -  WD 1TB Black - WD 2TB Green -  WD 4TB Blue

MB: Gigabyte  B550 Gaming X- RGB Disabled

PSU: Corsair RM850x 80 Plus Gold

Case: BeQuiet! Silent Base 801 Black

Cooler: Noctua NH-DH15

Virgin Media will throttle you the second they see you're downloading large amounts of data, that's just how it is. 

EDIT: Whenever they do it, call them up and tell them you're not happy (make it known), and ask them to lift the cap there and then. And yes, i've had nothing but trouble with Virgin, broadband was down last night too. 

Usually get around 20Mb/s+ down, and the upload speed never changes, usually always around 9/10Mb/s.

VnxObJC.png

This is what I just got with my connection at home with BT

ln9ge8R.png

It's pretty average, normally stays around that point, pretty nice, espc since it's over wifi and not ethernet

But no where near as nice as my uni wifi 

ppmLSnr.png

I miss those speeds  :unsure:

I wish all these gigabit companies would hurry up and provide availability in places I actually live <_<  

i5 4690k | GTX 980Ti G1 Gaming | 16GB RAM | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | NZXT Kraken X61 | 850 EVO 250GB x2  | 1TB 850 Evo NZXT Noctis 450 | EVGA 750W 80+ Gold

Ducky Shine 3 TKL (Browns) | LG 34UC87C | Logitech MX Master ATH-M50x's + DT990 Pro's 

Virgin Media will throttle you the second they see you're downloading large amounts of data, that's just how it is. 

EDIT: Whenever they do it, call them up and tell them you're not happy (make it known), and ask them to lift the cap there and then. And yes, i've had nothing but trouble with Virgin, broadband was down last night too. 

Mostly like because 3 of us downloaded Windows 10.. 5.5gb each. So about 16.5gb altogether. 

Mostly like because 3 of us downloaded Windows 10.. 5.5gb each. So about 16.5gb altogether. 

Yeah, it will usually go back to normal in a few hours. They usually cap my downstream to like 20Mb when i download a lot. 

The alternative would be to go to someone like BT who don't throttle your speeds.

http://www.alphr.com/news/broadband/381160/virgin-media-introduces-baffling-new-traffic-management-policy

Sounds like virgin just making things overly complocated. We pay for 100mb/s and get about 65-75 which isn't too far below the advertised Max. The problem is the extreme throttling at peak times and sudden spikes in ping.I've gone from happily playing bf4 at 22 ping, then suddenly bam, 999 ping. We have complained, a lot. Think that's why we have 100mb/s cos we complained and they gave it to us for the price of the 50mb/s we used to have.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

I have Virgin media

It's terrible. I can't access the Internet but yet I still have access to Ethernet.

They're breaching their contract and not providing us the correct service we pay for.

And tech support is terrible, not attempting to be racist or offensive.

But I can't understand them through their strong Indian accents.