Where to touch to ground myself?

Beastattack

My case is a Define R5 and my PSU is a EVGA b2 750. They are both painted, where should I touch? I don't have an anti static wrist strap, should I buy one?

My case is a Define R5 and my PSU is a EVGA b2 750. They are both painted, where should I touch? I don't have an anti static wrist strap, should I buy one?

Touch the PSU, and if you feel it isn't doing the job then touch the screws that hold the PSU in. Also do this with the PSU plugged into the wall, and set to "off".

Edit: Is my text bold?

can you not open the case and touch the bottom where the psu is?

Does it matter if the PSU is painted?

Ive never grounded myself and ive built like 50+ custom PCs, most on carpet with socks..

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Ive never grounded myself and ive built like 50+ custom PCs, most on carpet with socks..

I'm so paranoid I'll probably build it with no shirt or socks.

Just do that

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

Touch the PSU, and if you feel it isn't doing the job then touch the screws that hold the PSU in. Also do this with the PSU plugged into the wall, and set to "off".

How do i feel that im grounded?

what a newb i build pc's naked

I build my ones at home naked. Hard to do that at a store though

I build my ones at home naked. Hard to do that at a store though

I was gonna say that but no shirt and socks sounds more "normal"

Bro i can assure you this.

Dont be paranoid its not as sensitive as you might think it is.

But that doesnt mean you should go all hammer time on your hardware.

How do i feel that im grounded?

If you live in a static-y place then you will feel the little "zap" when you touch the PSU, but if not then it just boils down to what you are comfortable with. If touching the painted PSU is fine with you then great, since that pretty much gets the job done, but if not then touching the unpainted screws to be "extra sure" is also fine.

Bro i can assure you this.

Dont be paranoid its not as sensitive as you might think it is.

But that doesnt mean you should go all hammer time on your hardware.

Another unrelated question, but are processors THAT easy to mess up? Like if I whip up thermal paste with a paper towel, will that pressure do anything bad?

Another unrelated question, but are processors THAT easy to mess up? Like if I whip up thermal paste with a paper towel, will that pressure do anything bad?

just put a small dot the size of a pea or rice on the middle

Bro i have dropped the cpu into the socket twice and used toilet paper and a lot of force to get it clean that its leaving scratch marks on the surface.

It still works just fine

Huh. When I was younger touching myself anywhere around the groin area got me grounded.

Intel i7-9700k | Noctua NH-U12A | MSI MEG Z390 ACE | 4x8 GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz | EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming | Corsair RM750x | Samsung 970 EVO 500 GB M.2 / 860 Evo 1TB / 2x Intel 730 480 GB | Phanteks P600S | ASUS ROG Swift 278Q

Huh. When I was younger touching myself anywhere around the groin area got me grounded.

if you do it right people will pay good money when your older.

Keep your PSU plugged to the wall with the the switch on off and simply touch it before handling your MB, GPU, CPU, RAM, and any expansion card. This is like all precaution, touching your case or PSU should be enough, but a plugged PSU should be nearly as good as a anti-static wrist band, just touch before handling any sensitive component and you're golden (I think HDDs can be sensitive since they come in anti static bags but i'm not sure)

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10