Headphone Recommendation Below £200

qwertyqwerttt

I currently am using sennheiser hd 215 headphones, they have served me well over the years but they are starting to show their age and i am looking for an upgrade. The headset needs to comfortable with a remove headphone jack with good accurate sound, mainly to be used for playing games and occasional music.

I'm going to be boring - M40X (or M50X)

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

Buy an XBOX one, use the headset that comes with it. You can throw out the XBOX One after that. 

Open-back headphones: AKG K702 are some of the most neutral headphones in existence. 

closed-back headphones: Beyerdynamic DT770 are pleasant, comfortable, and reasonably neutral, although the high end is not as clear as the Sony MDR-7506, for example. Bass is better, though. 

Sennheiser HD600 aren't as neutral as the AKG K702, but they're some of the more comfortable headphones around. 

edit: realized HD600s are out of your budget. 

I was ideally looking for closed headphones, but if the open have more benefits then i am open to suggestions. 

I was ideally looking for closed headphones, but if the open have more benefits then i am open to suggestions. 

Closed back is good for isolation, so if there is unwanted noise nearby such as building work or a busy street, or if you want to wear them in public, plus they generally have better bass than open headphones.

Open back allows for a greater soundstage, meaning positional audio is greater, a benefit for gaming, however you will be able to hear things happening around you far more and other people will be able to hear what you are listening to far easier as well. Which can be annoying.

Basically, if you're going to wear them outside of your house then get closed back, if you're just wearing them indoors and you won't disturb parents, siblings, room mates, partners, children, pets etc. then get open back.

For open back with detachable cables, the AKG K702 and Sennheiser HD 558/598 are a good choice.

For closed back with a detachable cable the Audio Technica ATH-M50X (M40X for near identical sound but a lot cheaper) and beyerdynamic custom one pros are also a good choice.

I'm sure others can give other recommendations, but these are the ones I know of.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

well they will be only used indoors, so open back seem to be a good choice thank you.

I'm going to be boring - M40X (or M50X)

It's not that you're being boring, it's that you're overlooking the many, many better options in that price range.

Hey! New SIgnature! 

I'm supposedly a person on the Internet, but you'll never know if I'm human or not ;)

well they will be only used indoors, so open back seem to be a good choice thank you.

I'm actually in a rather similar position at the minute, I'm just about to order some open back headphones in the next few days, but for just over £100. The Beyerdynamic DT990s are another pair of headphone I'll suggest if you don't mind a non removable cable.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim