when should i clean my pc for dust?

simeon kalcut

when you can see dust on it. 

I don't get what kind of a question this is.

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

I would assume that it also has to do with how dusty in general the location of where the pc is and where you live. Climate here isnt too dusty, but in the summer time i do it once every month or so to make sure there isnt alot of buildup of dust on the filters and inside the pc for the heatsinks and such.

CPU     4790K  4.7GHz @ 1.17 volts

MOBO  Asus Z97-K

GPU     980ti Strix

RAM    16GB G.Skill

I do it every 6 months. Just sayin

#RIPTopGear  This is the best thread ever: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/53190-i-can-not-get-hard/ " French meetings are just people sitting in a semi-circle shouting at each other" -Dom Jolly  :lol:

My rig: 

CPU: Pentium G3258 @ 4.5GHz GPU: GTX 760 reference | PSU: Corsair RM750 Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120V | Motherboard: Gigabyte B85M D3H | Case: NZXT S340 White | RAM: 8GB EVO Potenza @ 1600MHz Storage: 3TB Seagate HDD, 60GB OCZ SSD, 620GB Toshiba HDD | Mouse: Steelseries Rival @1000 CPi |  OS: Windows 10 Pro Phone: iPhone 6S 16GB  
http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/439354-why-nvidia/

I do a GPU, case fan and filter clean every two months and a full system clean every year when i change my coolant.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

Dust actually takes a while before it starts affecting temperatures. I'd say around every 3 years.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

I do mine every 6 - 12 months, and I run my computer 24/7.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

I am very 'protective' of my PC so I clean it every week or two. However you should at least do it every month. Every 6 months you should redo the cables and do a deep clean (I basically rebuild mine every 2 months).

Clean the dust filters once a week. Clean the insides 2-3 times a year.

CPU i5 3570k MOBO Asus Maximus Gene V GPU Asus DCUII 670 CASE Corsair 350D (windowless) SSD Crucial M550 256GB msata CPU COOLER Noctua NH-D14 RAM Corsair XMS3 8GB 1600mhz PSU Corsair AX750 Display Asus PB287Q 4K (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/380533-journey-into-4k-goodness-asus-pb287q-review/) & Asus VH236H 1080P

Keyboard Logitech G710+ MX Brown Mouse Logitech G502 (my review on it http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/299464-logitech-g502/ )

Proud owner of a BlackBerry Q10.

It varies person to person . computer to computer , environment to environment. It just depends on many other factors. Ideally tho its best to at least check it monthly and when or if it does look like dust build up then thats the time to clean it because the more dust you have the more dust that it'll collect. It also depends on other factors such as do you live with any pets and where is your desktop located either on floor or a table etc.

I've build my rig 5 months ago never have I checked it for dust so I guess I shall do that today in reminder of the thread thanks ! :)

I clean mine once a week but I am a serious clean freak. I clean the same time that I'm dusting around the house. 

when you can see dust on it. 

I don't get what kind of a question this is.

A ghetto question  :P .

It's really just an internal thing.  If you look at your computer and you're like "damn that's dusty" well then it's probably a good time to clean it.

"You should look up common sense and add it to your vocabulary." - dougdangger 2015

I do mine every week. Wipe down the outside of the case and compressed air in the inside. Keeps everything nice and brand new looking