New LMG HQ Internet Speed

dzonidev

Hey!

So I've seen a lot of people are interested in the new internet connection that LMG HQ has.

And so here it is:

DMqyy7j.jpg

The ISP is iTel which is a Business Grade internet provider. If the speedtest is to be believed, their connection is 200/200mbps and likely costs around 1.3k a month.

Please note that all info except the image (which can be found on the last WAN Show) is unofficial. And is based on my research.

1.3k sounds waaayyy too high... And with how close they are to the nearest data center, no way it can be that expensive...

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I can get 2Gb/s both ways here with comcast for 300$ a month with a residential connection. Not great, but it makes me feel lucky. 

Even so 1.3k is likely to high. Though given their area, it wouldn't surprise me I guess. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

1.3k sounds waaayyy too high... And with how close they are to the nearest data center, no way it can be that expensive...

The ISP in question bills $796 CAD for a 10Mbps connection. Which comes to about $79 CAD per mbps. When you go higher, the price per mbps drops. For example their 100Mbps package costs $1060 CAD and that comes out to $10 CAD per mbps. A 1gbps link costs $2540 CAD which is about $2.5 CAD per mbps. In business this is a very good deal. Here where I live, getting a 1 gbps connection costs  $5000 USD, without setup fees of course.

http://itel.com/services/business-internet/fiber-internet/

That should be the ISP, again without an IP or some other proof this is unofficial.

It's like 800$ for a 10gbps line, with unlimited bandwidth. Most of the cost comes from unlimited bandwidth. These are on 3 year contracts though. In Canada it is usually expected to have lower (3-20mbps) uploads. for similar uploads to downloads it's even more. 

I can get 2Gb/s both ways ehre with comcast for 300$ a month. Not great, but it makes me feel lucky. 

Even so 1.3k is likely to high. 

High Uploads are hard to find in both the business and consumer lineup of ISP's, let alone unlimited bandwidth ( 125mbps down and 6 up is 180$ in Canada for business) 

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

It's like 800$ for a 10gbps line, with unlimited bandwidth. Most of the cost comes from unlimited bandwidth. These are on 3 year contracts though. In Canada it is usually expected to have lower (3-20mbps) uploads. for similar uploads to downloads it's even more. 

High Uploads are hard to find in both the business and consumer lineup of ISP's, let alone unlimited bandwidth ( 125mbps down and 6 up is 180$ in Canada for business) 

yah, like I edited, I tend to forget BC sucks isp wise. Sad my options are infinitely better in north Indiana, and we're not even that great options wise. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Is it a Metro-E connection? I suspect at the very least it is 200 symmetric guaranteed bandwidth. Whereas consumer connections are best effort.

1.3k is not that high of a price given that they likely have SLA, Besides I'm more annoyed that he planned to run pfSense...

Comb it with a brick

Besides I'm more annoyed that he planned to run pfSense...

why?

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

why?

It's getting used because it is the 'cool' thing to do right now.

pfsense has been around for a long time.

The 'cool' phase passed a long time ago, it has stuck around because it has lots of features and it works well.

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

pfSense is old broken rubbish, I would take OPNsense or m0n0wall over it.

If I were Linus, I would get an EdgeRouter Pro and an Arista 10GbE SFP+ switch.

Comb it with a brick

Just buy Cisco and be done with it.

Rogers in Canada offers 250 down 20 up for like a 100 CAD with unlimited data so I highly suspect that 1.3k is way to much.

edit: its residential.

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

Rogers in Canada offers 250 down 20 up for like a 100 CAD with unlimited data so I highly suspect that 1.3k is way to much.

edit: its residential.

Residential connections are what are called "best effort" connections. Your data is transmitted if it can be, but meh, who cares if it get's dropped. You have no guaranteed bandwidth as the lines are usually grossly over subscribed by service providers to keep profits up. With business class connections there is very little to no over subscription of the lines and you are guaranteed a certain data rate or CIR. This is often called an SLA or service level agreement.

In other words that Rogers residential is 250/20 if the line isn't saturated and if things are just generally going well. The connection Linus has is 200/200 at all time of the day and is a guaranteed rate. Also if they have connectivity issues they will be talking directly with Network Analysts and Network Engineers, not Customer Service and Customer Care reps like you would get if you called for residential services.

In Australia, fibre still be rolled out and is capped heavily, the highest speed here is (Residential) is 250 down and 100 up. Its around 150 p/month.

Xeon 1231 v3/ H81m - P33 / 8GB Corsair Vengeance/ GTX 950/ Fractal Design Core 1000.

yea... Check their pricing, I don't see a 200mbps package though, so his estimate might not be far off

1K for 100mbps u/d

1.8k for 500mbs u/d

I can get 2Gb/s both ways here with comcast for 300$ a month with a residential connection. Not great, but it makes me feel lucky. 

Even so 1.3k is likely to high. Though given their area, it wouldn't surprise me I guess. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

1. Business internet connections with a SLA (Service-Level Agreement) don't come cheap, so i believe 1.3k/mo.

2. My work pays 600/mo for a 80/80 connection with a SLA, and they're located just a few miles from Google Fiber.

3. 2Gb/s both ways on comcast? lol, i doubt any of us will live to see the day. And at 300/mo? Right....

EDIT: Also, pfSense is awesome. Been around forever, super stable, tons of features. 

CPU: i7 3770k @ 4.8Ghz Motherboard: Sabertooth Z77 RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance GPU: GTX 780 Case: Corsair 540 Air Storage: 2x Intel 520 SSD Raid 0 PSU: Corsair AX850 Display(s): 1x 27" Samsung Monitor 3x 24" Asus Monitors Cooling: Swifttech H220 Keyboard: Logitech 710+ Mouse: Logitech G500 Headphones: Sennheiser HD 558 --- Internet: http://linustechtips.com/main/uploads/gallery/album_1107/gallery_12431_1107_23677.png My Setup:  http://linustechtips.com/main/gallery/image/7922-1-rkcf7io/ -- NAS: 3x WD Red 3TB Drives (RAIDZ-1), 5x 750gb Seagate ES HDD(RAIDZ-1), 120gb SSD for caching, OS: FreeNAS --  Server 1: Xeon E3 1275v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5 -- Server 2: Xeon E3 1220v2, 32GB of RAM, OS: ESXi 5.5

In Australia, fibre still be rolled out and is capped heavily, the highest speed here is (Residential) is 250 down and 100 up. Its around 150 p/month.

Yep, but I have to wait until April 2017 to get Fibre according to their original plans. :angry:

It's getting used because it is the 'cool' thing to do right now.

Actually I was planning to use it purely out of familiarity. Any issues with that?

Actually I was planning to use it purely out of familiarity. Any issues with that?

Is the internet connection at your office on Metro-E or is it just a regular fibre line? Also do you have an SLA for the connection?

Is the internet connection at your office on Metro-E or is it just a regular fibre line? Also do you have an SLA for the connection?

Could be Metro-E because from one of the Office Move videos I noticed there was a demarcation device. I think it's something like MRV OptiSwitch 906G.

Could be Metro-E because from one of the Office Move videos I noticed there was a demarcation device. I think it's something like MRV OptiSwitch 906G.

I was leaning towards metro-e just due to that ping, 17ms.