What if I want to roll back to Windows 7 after a clean install of 10?

Rayhaan Jiwani

Hello Forum,

As you read in the title, I wanted to know whether I could roll back to Windows 7 Home Premium after a clean install of Windows 10. And I also wanted to know whether my key will work for a 64-bit copy. I'm currently using 32-bit w7 Home Premium on the HP Pavilion dv4. (Where can I download a w7 ISO?)

Thanks! :)

EDIT: I also wanted to know where I can download Office '07. I have the product key for it and don't want to spend on a new license.

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

EDIT: I also wanted to know where I can download Office '07. I have the product key for it and don't want to spend on a new license.

https://www.microsoft.com/office/downloads/

Location: Kaunas, Lithuania, Europe, Earth, Solar System, Local Interstellar Cloud, Local Bubble, Gould Belt, Orion Arm, Milky Way, Milky Way subgroup, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster, Laniakea, Pisces–Cetus Supercluster Complex, Observable universe, Universe.

Spoiler

12700, B660M Mortar DDR4, 32GB 3200C16 Viper Steel, 2TB SN570, EVGA Supernova G6 850W, be quiet! 500FX, EVGA 3070Ti FTW3 Ultra.

Hello Forum,

As you read in the title, I wanted to know whether I could roll back to Windows 7 Home Premium after a clean install of Windows 10. And I also wanted to know whether my key will work for a 64-bit copy. I'm currently using 32-bit w7 Home Premium on the HP Pavilion dv4. (Where can I download a w7 ISO?)

Thanks! :)

after a clean install ...no

don't bother with office

just download LIBREOFFICE

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

you shouldn't need to go back to 7 once you get 10

10 has a few annoyances..but it is better then 7

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

SNIP

For nostalgia. I don't want to lose Windows 7.

Can I download the 64-bit version of Windows 10 if I'm currently using the 32-bit version of w7?

Edited by Rayhaan Jiwani

CPU: i5 4690K @ Stock                GPU: Asus GTX 970 STRIX @ Stock      SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB (OS and Drivers)     Headset: Audio-Technica M20X

Case: Corsair Obsidian 250D        RAM: Kingston HyperX 16GB LP             HDD: WD Caviar Black 2TB                                         Mouse: Logitech m185

OS: Windows 8.1 OEM                 PSU: Corsair RM650                                Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97N Mini ITX                         Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K65 RGB

You should be able to do a clean install of Windows 7 using your licence key (the original Windows 7 key as opposed to the converted Windows 10 key), but I'm fairly sure you can't "downgrade" the OS in place. If you have 64 bit Windows 7 media appropriate to your licence (like Home Premium or Professional) then you should be able to do a clean install no problem.

You can't upgrade a 32 bit Windows 7/8.1 to to a 64 bit Windows 10, you will need to do a clean install of either 7 or 10.

Best of luck :)

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."

Can I download the 64-bit version of Windows 10 if I'm currently using the 32-bit version of w7?

You cant upgrade 32bit to 64bit but you can do a clean install of it.

Things are simple:

1- You must upgrade from 7 to 10. 

2- You CAN'T upgrade 32-bit version with 64-bit- you go to 32-bit version of Win 10.

3- After upgrading to 32-bit version of Win 10 and activating it you can do a clean install. 

4- At that moment you CAN install 64-bit version of Win 10- serial numbers has nothing in common with which language and 32 or 64-bit version you are using. They are related only with Core or Pro versions of Windows. 

And finally- you can't have licensed Win 7 and Win 10 at same time. You got to choose one or another. When you upgrade the serial number for 7 is converted in new one for 10. It's simple- you are bought 1 license for Microsoft's OS, you can use 1 license. Will it be for Win 7 or Win 10 is up to you to decide, but you CAN'T have 2 licensed OS for a price of 1... 

PS: After upgrade every user has 30 days to return to old system (7 or 8/8.1)- some kind of test period in which serial number for your old OS is only frozen (not deactivated) and can be used again if you roll back. But if after upgrade you delete folder "Windows.old" or perform "clean instal" you can't use that license for you old OS and you are stuck to Win 10- like it or not... 

English is not my maternal language, so don't mind my mistakes... 

PS: After upgrade every user has 30 days to return to old system (7 or 8/8.1)- some kind of test period in which serial number for your old OS is only frozen (not deactivated) and can be used again if you roll back. But if after upgrade you delete folder "Windows.old" or perform "clean instal" you can't use that license for you old OS and you are stuck to Win 10- like it or not... 

I stand corrected, as I found out today. You can roll back to your previous installation in-place, the option for which can be found in "Recovery" in "Updates and Security". More details here:

http://www.geek.com/microsoft/the-windows-10-upgrade-only-gives-you-a-month-to-roll-back-1630005/

"PSU brands are meaningless, look up the OEM."