No Internet when connected to Network

ConnorMacleod95
Go to solution Solved by ConnorMacleod95,

Not sure what I did.. 
I have changed the IP address before.. 
But I majorly changed it and it seems to be working now. 
I can connect to both the upstairs and downstairs easily.. 
I don't trust it though :P 
So I'll let you know. 
Thanks HEAPS guys! :) 

Hey Guys..

So...

I have two routers as you can see in the picture below. I have a Netgear D600 router connected directly to the phone line upstairs,
I then have a 30m cable coming from the Netgear router and going to a cheap D-link router which is downstairs(30m away). 

They are set up as completely different connections. 

Downstairs my phone will automatically connect however it will show the ! mark next to the signal. After the router is switched off and on again the ! goes
away and the router works perfectly. 

Upstairs the Netgear router is the same story, however you have to pray that it works because turning it off and on does nothing the ! will stay, sometimes disconnecting
the D-link router downstairs will fix it, sometimes not. 

My computer's plugged into either router will work perfectly its just the wireless I have a problem with. 

Problem is the same on my Nexus 5, Tablet and Laptop. 

post-69561-0-43997100-1438501904.png

post-69561-0-19422600-1438502309_thumb.p

Make sure you haven't plugged the ethernet cable on the second router into the WAN / Modem port, just connect it to one of the regular ethernet ports and it will act like a switch.

EDIT:

Oh, you have internet when you connect the PC to that router? Hmm, I'm not sure then, what are your wireless settings set to on the second both routers?

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Sounds to me like both routers are trying to use the same IP Address. Try changing it to something like this:

Router1 IP 192.168.2.1

Router2 IP 192.168.2.2

What are your wireless settings set to on the second both routers?

Netgear

Channel: 36

Mode: Up to 54 MBPS

SSID Broadcast is enabled 

Wireless Isolation is not enabled 

If you're keen for the downstairs router I'll go downstairs and get that for you too haha but I'd say its pretty much the same

Sounds to me like both routers are trying to use the same IP Address. Try changing it to something like this:

Router1 IP 192.168.2.1

Router2 IP 192.168.2.2

That may be the case I'll have a look :)

Router1 IP 192.168.2.1

Router2 IP 192.168.2.2

Would you happen to know how to do this exactly? haha

I don't think it's the routers having the same IP, if that were the case you wouldn't be able to access the settings on either of the two unless one of them was unplugged.

My best guess would be there's a conflict in transmission. Change one of the routers to use a slightly different SSID and make sure it broadcasts on a different channel.

Gaming/Folding rig: Coolermaster CM 690 II Advanced White | MSI Z77A-G43 | Intel Core i7 3770k @ 4.4GHz | 10GB G.Skill RAM | Nvidia GeForce GTX 780 | Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | Seagate 2TB | Seagate 2TB | WD Blue 640GB | Cogage Arrow (Passive) | Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675w | Windows 10 Pro

Photography

Would you happen to know how to do this exactly? haha

In your router's setting page , look for something called LAN or internet setup, and look for ip address.

I don't think it's the routers having the same IP, if that were the case you wouldn't be able to access the settings on either of the two unless one of them was unplugged.

My best guess would be there's a conflict in transmission. Change one of the routers to use a slightly different SSID and make sure it broadcasts on a different channel.

^Good point, didn't think about that. But i'm still convinced it has something to do with the IP's, could it be related to the DHCP server? Maybe it has to be turned off on the 2nd one ?

I was thinking DHCP too but he can connect to the internet if plugging in an ethernet'd computer, not over WiFi. DHCP works the same for both Wireless and Wired, or so I thought...

If they weren't working with each other there would be IP conflicts between WiFi and Wired. :P

Photography

Not sure what I did.. 
I have changed the IP address before.. 
But I majorly changed it and it seems to be working now. 
I can connect to both the upstairs and downstairs easily.. 
I don't trust it though :P 
So I'll let you know. 
Thanks HEAPS guys! :)