Is The Last of Us worth getting a PS4 for?

DeadZed

I mainly play on PC and a bit on Wii U. I've been watching Fine Bros' TLoU series and it looks like a really good game with an interesting story (heavy selling point for me). Besides that game, what are other good PS4 exclusives?

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A | CPU: i5 4670K | GPU: R9 290 Tri-X | RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB | SSD: SanDisk 128GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Corsair CX750 | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

I don't really think a PS4 is worth buying just for it's exclusives tbh, sure the last of us is good but other than that I don't really know. Especially since soon enough we'll get some decent PS3/Xbox 360 emulators.

CPU: i5-4690k GPU: 280x Toxic PSU: Coolermaster V750 Motherboard: Z97X-SOC RAM: Ripjaws 1x8 1600mhz Case: Corsair 750D HDD: WD Blue 1TB

How to Build A PC|Windows 10 Review Follow the CoC and don't be a scrub~soaringchicken

It's the best story i have ever played, such a good game, I wish it was on PC. It has solid multiplayer too.

If you're only playing that one game, then not really. that's like, 400$ to play a single game.

If there are a handful other exclusives you might be interested in, or perhaps using it also to watch netflix/stream content on your tv, then perhaps it might be worth it.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

If you only want to play it for the story, it might be worth looking into a preowned PS3?

CPU  Intel i7 5820k Motherboard Asus X99-S  RAM  32GB (8x4) Kingston Hyper X Fury GPU EVGA GTX 1080Ti SC2 iCX Case Fractal Design R4 Windowed Storage 500GB Samsung 850 Evo + 120GB Crucial M500 SSD + 2TB Seagate Barracuda + 1TB Western Digital Blue PSU Corsair RM1000 Display 2x Asus VS239HV Cooling  Noctua NH-D15 Keyboard  Corsair K70 RGB Mouse Logitech G502 Gaming Surface Razer Golitahus Extended Speed

If you're only playing that one game, then not really. that's like, 400$ to play a single game.

If there are a handful other exclusives you might be interested in, or perhaps using it also to watch netflix/stream content on your tv, then perhaps it might be worth it.

I already use the Wii U for Netflix.

Motherboard: ASUS Z97-A | CPU: i5 4670K | GPU: R9 290 Tri-X | RAM: HyperX FURY 8GB | SSD: SanDisk 128GB | HDD: Seagate Barracuda 2TB | PSU: Corsair CX750 | Case: Thermaltake Urban T31

I already use the Wii U for Netflix.

Well, then perhaps it's not worth it. It's really down to, is that 400 or so dollars gonna mean something to you, like, is it going to cut into groceries, rent, or what evs you spend money on. If it wont affect you, then the game is certainly very good. And ps4 can at least stream content from a PC, so there's that too.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I mainly play on PC and a bit on Wii U. I've been watching Fine Bros' TLoU series and it looks like a really good game with an interesting story (heavy selling point for me). Besides that game, what are other good PS4 exclusives?

One of the best games ever made in my opinion

Also PS4 is great for Uncharted 4, Bloodborne,  Until Dawn, Ratchet and Clank,, The Order, Yakuza 5, Everyone's gone to the rapture,  and some more than I cant remember right now :D

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

There aren't a whole lot of current amazing exclusives that have caught my eye at the moment, but next year is going to be really big.  Uncharted 4 and the new Ratchet and Clank are what I'm excited for.  I hadn't played TLOU on PS3 so I grabbed it when I got my PS4, it is an excellent game.  

If you haven't played the first three Uncharted games you should be able to pick up the remastered versions on PS4 later this year which would be a nice hold over until UC4.  There's also God of War III remastered, I have the original on PS3 and it's quite enjoyable if you like that sort of thing.  

In regards to non-remastered games: Driveclub was ok, my brother enjoyed it somewhat.  If you're into the more Nintendo arcadey side of things, you might want to check out Little Big Planet 3, haven't played it myself but the first few on PS3, PSP and PS Vita were apparently very good.  Most of the other good games are cross-platform though so for those it's more about selected what you'd rather play on what, for example I grabbed DB: Xenoverse on PS4 because it's great to just sit back on the couch and play.

CPU Intel Core i7 7700K; Cooler Cryorig R1 Universal; MB Asus ROG Maximus IX Code; RAM G.Skill Trident Z 3200Mhz (4 x 8GB); GPU ASUS GTX 1080 Ti ROG Strix Gaming OC; Case Be Quiet Dark Base 900 Pro Silver; Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500GB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, Seagate Barracuda 4TB; PSU EVGA Supernova 850W G2; OS Windows 10; KB Corsair K70 (MX Brown); Audio O2 & ODAC, Sennheiser HD 600, Sennheiser RS 185, Swan M200MKIII; Monitors 2x Dell U2410

Previous Build

CPU Intel Core i5 4690K; Cooler Cooler Master Hyper 212X; MB Asus Z97-A; RAM G.Skill Sniper (2 x 4GB); GPU 2x Gigabyte GeForce GTX 970 G1 Gaming (SLI); Case Corsair Obsidian 450D; Storage Samsung 840 EVO 120GB, WD Black 1TB, Hitachi 750GB; PSU EVGA Supernova 750W G2; OS Windows 10; 

Just get a used ps3 and buy it for that console.

Love cats and Linus. Check out linuscattips-fan-club. http://pcpartpicker.com/p/Z9QDVn and Asus ROG Swift. I love anime as well. Check out Heaven Society heaven-society. My own personal giveaway thread http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/387856-evga-geforce-gtx-970-giveaway-presented-by-grimneo/.

no, no it isn't. I got a PS4 for my main gaming device, loved the last of us. That's why I bought it. Wish I had a PC now.

I have PS3 and PS4 versions of The Last of Us and it's a great game. That being said, if there aren't any other exclusive games you want to play (or might want to play [and I haven't read all of the thread]) I'd say get a cheap PS3. The game itself is very affordable on either platform, and it still looks amazing on the PS3.

One of the best games ever made in my opinion

Also PS4 is great for Uncharted 4, Bloodborne,  Until Dawn, Ratchet and Clank,, The Order, Yakuza 5, Everyone's gone to the rapture,  and some more than I cant remember right now :D

Remove the order from that list and I would agree with you :P

I would say yes. The story being amazing is self explanatory, but the multiplayer I believe is highly, highly underrated. It is probably the best online multiplayer experience I have played in a long, long time. Especially with friends in a party, it is just fun and addictive. Rivalry verse another team or a certain player creates frustration and absolute bliss when you try to unlock their Safe as they sprint towards you, watching the timer tick closer and closer as the enemy team desperately tries to stop you, and when they do, all you want to do is rematch them and curb stomp them again and again. 

• 4 weeks later...

Its a fun beautiful game but its up to you! I played it on ps3 tho idk how it is on ps4!

Or you safe the Money for that Paperweight and get a Baddass Graphicscard when the next Generations come 2016.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

if you have a friend with ps4 borrow it and play and maybe then decide ;) 

while its a great game, one or two games is not enough for me to justify spending the money on the console

just borrow a friends for a week or two and play the ps4 exclusives youre interested in

I have an Xbox One and a PlayStation 4. They are both underpowered, and I will be waiting until NVIDIA releases their new Pascel architecture to build a beastly gaming PC. F consoles.

I have a PS4 for the sole reason of exclusives. Things I know I willo never see on PC, like God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Destiny, etc. That is the ONLY reason to get one in mt eyes. If I can get it on PC(much much cheaper too) then that's where I get it. Otherwise, console! Forza 6 soon, finally a reason to get the Xbone..

I have a PS4 for the sole reason of exclusives. Things I know I willo never see on PC, like God of War, Last of Us, Uncharted, Destiny, etc. That is the ONLY reason to get one in mt eyes. If I can get it on PC(much much cheaper too) then that's where I get it. Otherwise, console! Forza 6 soon, finally a reason to get the Xbone..

Forza 6 was available on the 10th if you shelled out the $100 which I did by the way and I can't play it.

I don't know if you decided yet but you absolutely should find a way to play The Last of Us. I haven't finished it but I started my first play-through blind on the hardest difficulty because I'm a special kind of stupid and it really is fantastic

Spoiler
Spoiler

Case Corsair Air 540 CPU AMD Ryzen 5 1600 GPU EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 SC2 iCX Motherboard Asus X370-F Memory G.Skill Flare X 16GB (2x8) 2400MHz Display Asus VG248QE Storage Samsung 960 Pro 512GB - Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD - 1TB Seagate Barracuda - 1TB WD Blue OS MS X Pro Peripherals Corsair K70 RGB Rapidfire -  Razer DeathAdder 2013

Spoiler

Case 15.4" Mid 2012 MacBook Pro CPU Intel Core i7-3720QM GPU Nvidia GT650M Memory Crucial 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 1600MHz Display 1680x1050 AntiGlare Display Storage 1TB 5400RPM or Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD OS OS X Yosemite (Maybe El Capitan?) - BootCamp MS X Pro Peripherals Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2014 -  Razer DeathAdder 2013 - Mionix Naos 7000 - Logitech K120 - Razer Tartarus Keypad

I haven't finished it but I started my first play-through blind on the hardest difficulty because I'm a special kind of stupid and it really is fantastic

I'll play anything with Troy Baker in it. He's a great actor.

If you want to play it I'd just get it on ps3 or wait for a good emulator which I hear are hard to find.