Stutter Lag on certain games after a Windows 10 clean install

EliasNM
Go to solution Solved by EliasNM,

So the final result of my testing was a bad HDD, the lag is now gone, now my goal is to find out why while the game was in the SSD the HDD was causing issues. For the time being I'm marking this solved, thanks Captain_WD for your time and help.

After being a little disappointed with the upgrade not going through on my second PC, I bought a digital copy of windows 10 from Microsoft and used the ISO provided by them as well for a clean install, everything went smooth with most things except Nvidia drivers (more on that later on). Before doing an OC on the CPU, I decided to test recent games to older games as well as other benchmarks just to make sure everything ran without a hiccup and an OC present. I installed Geforce drivers direct from Nvidia (352.63) after problems with Win10 driver issues, my issue was with games were stutter lag was present, on certain games such as CoD:BO2, I was dropping from the unlimited (200fps) to about 30 and even under that roughly every 2 minutes, this was after solving mouse drag after the patch and properly setting my monitor to 144Hz. 

I went about changing things in the Nvidia Control Panel to solve it, such as setting max pre-rendered frames to 1, turning Vertical Sync off; yet the stutter still remained. Someone told me to set a custom virtual memory on my SSD of 1GB to 4GB, now correct me if I did wrong with not changing this since I know that virtual memory should be edited if you have 4GB or less of RAM in which case I have 32GB RAM; memory usage for games remains for me under 5% in task manager. Is this an OS issue or did I miss something, I want to overclock on a more stable system and this isn't stable for me or am I asking to much for this build? Windows 7, 8, 8.1 had similar issues that were easily resolved with turning max pre-rendered setting to 1. This one is different and I'm clueless, a little help is appreciated. Thanks.

System Specs:

Intel i7 2700k @ 3.5GHz

ASRock  Z77 Extreme 4

EVGA GeForce GTX 760

BenQ XL2411Z @ 144Hz

Corsair 4x 8GB DDR3 RAM (according to CPU-Z its in dual channel mode running at 800MHz, with timings of 10-10-10-27)

128GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD (OS install and one by one game installed as testing went through for best results)

1TB Western Digital (blue?, I can't recall)

Games that presented such symptom (All tested with default, max and low graphic settings):

Battlefield 4

Left for Dead

CoD: BO2

Tomb Raider

Metro 2033

P.S.: This may or may not be related, my mouse middle click doesn't work after the first stutter lag and needs a restart for middle click to work. Happens on both USB and PS/2 connections.

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

~snip~

Hey there EliasNM,

Since you've checked and none of the loads is nowhere near the 100% mark, I'm thinking this is a driver issue with the OS. I'd try contacting both MS and the manufacturer of the GPU for some suggestions on how to fix this. 
You can try scanning your computer for memory leaks, but I doubt that this is the problem. Here's some info on that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859408.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396
Checking the health of your storage drives can also rule them out as the cause of the problem. For the WD drive I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=RmYckh

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey there EliasNM,

Since you've checked and none of the loads is nowhere near the 100% mark, I'm thinking this is a driver issue with the OS. I'd try contacting both MS and the manufacturer of the GPU for some suggestions on how to fix this. 

You can try scanning your computer for memory leaks, but I doubt that this is the problem. Here's some info on that: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms859408.aspx?f=255&MSPPError=-2147217396

Checking the health of your storage drives can also rule them out as the cause of the problem. For the WD drive I would recommend using WD Data Lifeguard Diagnostic tool: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=RmYckh

Captain_WD.

I already checked for memory leaks shortly after my initial post, came up fine, regarding the HDD testing here are the results done with tool provided above, as well as some chkdsk results that were done in read-only mode.

post-20922-0-30514400-1438629387_thumb.ppost-20922-0-73720800-1438629597_thumb.ppost-20922-0-16074900-1438630398.png

As of recent while testing with prime95, (I forgot to screen cap any of it). The stutter is present I would say in turning off my keyboard and mouse because as in the first post the mouse middle click disappears and my keyboard is unresponsive until I disconnect the keyboard, the middle click issue only fixes through a restart. In CPU-Z, I noticed an underclock happening while doing small task, idle I know why but idle it shows my stock speeds, which is weird.

post-20922-0-09880700-1438630395.png

My current feelings are to replace the hard drive (RMA or buy new), replace the CPU ( I have a spare 3770K in another build that hasn't been used, still to complete it) and do a complete reinstall of Windows 10. If it still continues I'll revert to Windows 7 and retry with the current hardware and then test with new hardware that I have in mind swapping out with for a more stable test environment. 

post-20922-0-30514400-1438629387_thumb.p

post-20922-0-73720800-1438629597_thumb.p

post-20922-0-09880700-1438630395.png

post-20922-0-16074900-1438630398.png

Regards Elias N Martinez. | Graphic and motion design are my jobs. 3D modeling is my hobby. I do what I enjoy.  Skype: eliasnmartinez1 (please state that you are coming from LTT)

~snip~

Yes, I would back up the data from the drive and replace it. Do go for the RMA procedure if it's still under warranty. Here's a link to that: http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=JCra5e
You can also try contacting MS's support and see what the guys over there have to say about this. :)

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^

So the final result of my testing was a bad HDD, the lag is now gone, now my goal is to find out why while the game was in the SSD the HDD was causing issues. For the time being I'm marking this solved, thanks Captain_WD for your time and help.

It may be that something in your computer needed access to the HDD and had trouble with that. I'm glad that you figured it out and fixed it. :) 

Captain_WD.