How Do I Convert a Passive Sub Into an Active Sub?

Kyocobra
Go to solution Solved by Stagea,

All right, so how would I go about doing this, converting my passive subwoofer into one that is powered and has the ability to connect into such a receiver? Something with amplifiers (Amazon) and stuff? Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, and my sub is actually powered, or I am just ignorant to the teachings of some sacred instructional guide which is followed by everyone and their brother. I have practically no understanding of audio, so if you start talking about cross over or something, I may as well be brain dead.

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you'd need an amplifier (preferably mono or bridgeable to mono) to use that subwoofer with your system. Something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Dayton-Audio-SA230-Subwoofer-Amplifier/dp/B004FKGUFK

I think it's not worth it to do that though, as there are affordable active subwoofers available. Here's an example:

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-F12-475-Watt-Subwoofer/dp/B0015A8Y5M

The larger sub will produce louder and deeper lows with less distortion.

This old, old, old 5.1 Samsung surround sound system I found is something that I thought would be fun to mess around with, mainly to better understand audio when I build a true HTPC. All 5 speakers and the subwoofer use speaker wire.

For now, I have encountered a problem, which is that the subwoofer included in the set is not powered; it has just two spring clip terminals, and absolutely nothing else!

nWYV3UG.jpgFvz1lJK.jpgZMyB8Ax.jpg

I was browsing eBay for a receiver--one not too fancy (okay, maybe a little)--and it seems like the ones I encountered required a powered subwoofer. Here's an example (which I realize will not work with my speakers due to impedance):

IIJR97j.png
sTTgPug.png

8JjFa0N.png

First of all, what kind of connector even is that? It looks like RCA, but purple is something I've never seen before.

Anyway, so as you can see, I could easily connect my 5 speakers up to those colorful screw terminals to the right, while the subwoofer needs to be powered in order to make use that special connector, just to be a pain in the ass.

All right, so how would I go about doing this, converting my passive subwoofer into one that is powered and has the ability to connect into such a receiver? Something with amplifiers (Amazon) and stuff? Maybe I don't know what I am talking about, and my sub is actually powered, or I am just ignorant to the teachings of some sacred instructional guide which is followed by everyone and their brother. I have practically no understanding of audio, so if you start talking about cross over or something, I may as well be brain dead.

Thanks in advance!

Semi-cool guy

Most receivers have a single subwoofer line. The color may change, but it's just a stereo audio line that goes out to the sub.

Edit: That's an amazing receiver, though; so many inputs.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Most receivers have a single subwoofer line. The color may change, but it's just a stereo audio line that goes out to the sub.

Edit: That's an amazing receiver, though; so many inputs.

I found it on Ebay for like 35 bucks, but I've never used the website, and the bid ended like an hour ago.

Oh my, it's still on, 45 minutes left. It's at $45, want me to send you the link?

Semi-cool guy

I found it on Ebay for like 35 bucks, but I've never used the website, and the bid ended like an hour ago.

Oh my, it's still on, 45 minutes left. It's at $45, want me to send you the link?

YES PLEASE

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

YES PLEASE

Shit, sorry, I have a fairly early bed time :P

But try browsing eBay for another, there are often really great deals (which are unfortunately sometimes ruined by bidders bidding during the last few hours).

Ooh, here's what seems like another great deal, although the starting price is higher and likely to increase.

Semi-cool guy

Thanks in advance!

Yes, you'd need an amplifier (preferably mono or bridgeable to mono) to use that subwoofer with your system. Something like this:

I think it's not worth it to do that though, as there are affordable active subwoofers available. Here's an example:

The way I sorted this problem was to use an "all in one" dvd player/surround sound just to run my sub so I ran the single output from my receiver to one channel of the aux stereo input on the dvd/surround. 

The way I sorted this problem was to use an "all in one" dvd player/surround sound just to run my sub so I ran the single output from my receiver to one channel of the aux stereo input on the dvd/surround. 

Thanks for the input guys! I probably should just buy a new subwoofer, although I'll figure something out if not.

Semi-cool guy

Don't buy an amp for that pos sub, just get a better active one. You won't regret it, trust me.