Headset Recommendations Under $300

Adorza

My PSN Sony Wireless headset broke so now I need a new one.. My absolute limit is $300 if it's worth it but I'd obviously prefer to not spend so much.

What Console?

I'm mostly a pc gamer but would like something I could use on my ps3/ps4 and being able to use it on my phone or tablet would be a HUGE plus but not necessary.

Uses?

I need something that would be good to use for gaming like being able to hear footsteps and such.. also I NEED a decent microphone. I'm always on Skype or using in-game voice.

Wired or Wireless?

Wireless is extremely important to me but I guess it's something I could compromise for a good deal. I had my eyes on the Steelseries H Wireless for awhile.. it's perfect except the cost and just awful microphone quality.

Open or Closed Back?

I also will be using this in the same room as my partner so I'd like something "closed-back"? I think that's what it's called.. so anyone else in the room cannot hear what I'm doing.

I strongly appreciate any suggestions/recommendations!!!

My PSN Sony Wireless headset broke

hallelujah-gif.gif

Also, with a $300 budget, I would go with a good pair of headphones and a separate mic.

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

hallelujah-gif.gif

Also, with a $300 budget, I would go with a good pair of headphones and a separate mic.

Can you recommend something?

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-598-Over-Ear-Headphones/dp/B0042A8CW2/ref=sr_1_1?s=aht&ie=UTF8&qid=1438482499&sr=1-1&keywords=sennheiser+hd+598

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AT2020-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B0006H92QK/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1438482521&sr=1-1&keywords=at2020

Done. You can also get a $20 boom and shockmount combo for perfect audio.

If your partner is using headphones, then open should be find. If he's not, then you might need to swap out the 598s for closed back.

Gaming Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3800x   |  GPU: Asus ROG STRIX 2080 SUPER Advanced (2115Mhz Core | 9251Mhz Memory) |  Motherboard: Asus X570 TUF GAMING-PLUS  |  RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4 3600MHz 16GB  |  PSU: Corsair RM850x  |  Storage: 1TB ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro, 250GB Samsung 840 Evo, 500GB Samsung 840 Evo  |  Cooler: Corsair H115i Pro XT  |  Case: Lian Li PC-O11

Peripherals:

Monitor: LG 34GK950F  |  Sound: Sennheiser HD 598  |  Mic: Blue Yeti  |  Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Platinum  |  Mouse: Logitech G502

Laptop:

Asus ROG Zephryus G15

Ryzen 7 4800HS, GTX1660Ti, 16GB DDR4 3200Mhz, 512GB nVME, 144hz

NAS:

QNAP TS-451

6TB Ironwolf Pro

Can you recommend something?

Since you requested closed-back headphones, two pairs I can recommend are the ATH-M50Xs ( http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones/dp/B00HVLUR86/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438482196&sr=8-1&keywords=audioTechnica+ATH+m50X )

and the HD 280s ( http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-HD-280-PRO-Headphones/dp/B000065BPB/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8 )

For the microphone you can go with something like the ATR2500 ( http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-ATR2500-USB-Cardioid-Condenser-Microphone/dp/B004QJREXM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1438482567&sr=8-3&keywords=audio+technica+condenser ) Or if you prefer to have the microphone attached to your headset, you can go with something like a  ModMic ( http://www.modmic.com/collections/frontpage/products/modmic-4-0 )

"I believe that if life gives you lemons, you should make lemonade... And try to find somebody whose life has given them vodka, and have a party."

-Ron White

he has a 300 dollar budget, why would he get those? They sorta suck at this price. I would get DT 770's and a standalone mic.

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

he has a 300 dollar budget, why would he get those? They sorta suck at this price. I would get DT 770's and a standalone mic.

My absolute limit is $300 if it's worth it but I'd obviously prefer to not spend so much.

I swear, people on this forum don't understand budgets at all. I was trying to give good value so maybe he can spend the money he saves on something extremely useful. Like a pok3r. :P

-Ron White

I swear, people on this forum don't understand budgets at all. I was trying to give good value so maybe he can spend the money he saves on something extremely useful. Like a pok3r. :P

Of all the things to recommend, its the fucking M50X. Just take that M50X, shine it up real nice, then TURN THAT SUMBITCH SIDEWAYS, AND STICK IT STRAIGHT UP YOUR CANDY ASS!

Now, for my recommendation, go with the DT770 (I'd much prefer the 880's, but thats just my opinion) with a bluetooth receiver like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot-Bluetooth-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438496482&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+for+headphones

And for the mic? A mod mic would be alright with it.

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

The M50x isn't good value though, it's actually quite overpriced?

Intel Core i7 7770K | 32 GB's Ram 3000MHz | GTX 1080 Ti | 250GB SSD | 3TB 7400 RPM | Sound Blaster Z | ASUS ROG MG278Q | Razer Blackwidow Chroma | Final Mouse 2015 | Blue Yeti | Seinheiser HD 600's | Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro | Aune T1 MK2

The M50x isn't good value though, it's actually quite overpriced?

I swear, if Beats headphones were more competitive in pricing (their current gen beats sound really good, but still more expensive than it should), the M50X's would be far from top tier, not even worth being bottom tier, it'd be 6ft under the ground and got shat on type tier.

Its a good headphone, but its rated ridiculously high that some people (actually alot) even say it "sounds like sex" or "better than sex" and shit

The fuck?

My Grading System on headphones: SS= 98-100, S= 95-97, A+= 91-94, A= 86-90, A-= 81-85, B+= 76-80, B= 71-75, B-= 66-70, C+= 61-65, C= 56-60, C-= 51-55, D+= 46-50, D= 41-45, D-= 36-40, F+= 31-35, F= 26-30, F-= 21-25, Tier 1 crap= 16-20, Tier 2 crap= 11-15, Tier 3 crap= 6-10, Dahell tier= 1-5, No hope= 0                 Nevertheless, "Enjoy what you enjoy without starting some silly culture war" - Lachlanlikesathing. If you Recommend the M50/X in a thead, I would probably send you a dick pic.

Headset: Audio-Technica ATH-M40x - $100

Microphone: V-Moda BoomPro - $30 or ModMic - $50

Wireless: Creative SoundBlaster E3 - $100

Really you can swap the ATH-M40x with any headset you want that has a standard removable cable really. I actually prefer the M40x to its M50x bigger brother, I feel the M50x has an over pronounced bass, but that might be something you want.

I like the SoundBlaster E3 because its such a multi-function device. It can act as a wired, USB Soundcard DAC+AMP with gamer-centeric features like SBX, "SoutMode", CrystalVoice or it could be a wireless Bluetooth AMP and help cut the cord between you and your computer.

I like to throw my E3 into my XL Headphone Case along with its cables and adapters and take it with my cans using it as appropriate with my phone, my tablet, my computer, my everywhere, ensuring flexible, and consistently great sound quality wherever I go. As a "do everything" device its not as great as some soundcards, some DACs, some amps, or some Bluetooth dongles but I like how it really does do everything.

+1 for dt770 or mad dog.

Now, for my recommendation, go with the DT770 (I'd much prefer the 880's, but thats just my opinion) with a bluetooth receiver like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Mpow-Streambot-Bluetooth-Streaming-Smartphones/dp/B00MJMV0GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1438496482&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+receiver+for+headphones

And for the mic? A mod mic would be alright with it.

Now for the DT770, they sound wonderful but my only concern is.. will my partner be able to hear what I am doing? I bought a Sennheiser headset before and he could hear everything I was doing so I had to send them back. Will the sound be isolated just to me?

Now for the DT770, they sound wonderful but my only concern is.. will my partner be able to hear what I am doing? I bought a Sennheiser headset before and he could hear everything I was doing so I had to send them back. Will the sound be isolated just to me?

well considereing their closed, yeah.

They shouldn't, unless you like your volume cranked to 11.