Bitdefender Hacked -- Customer Passwords Not Encrypted!

Yet another well-known company, Bitdefender, has been compromised.  The breach uncovered that customer passwords were not encrypted.  Oops!  The Hacker News reports the company "admitted its system was breached and said that the attack on its system didn’t penetrate the server, but a security hole "potentially enabled exposure of a few user accounts and passwords", which could be the SQL injection vulnerability."  The perpetrator wanted just $15,000 for the data taken.

http://thehackernews.com/2015/07/bitdefender-hacked.html?m=1

http://www.forbes.com/sites/thomasbrewster/2015/07/31/bitdefender-hacked/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/07/31/bitdefender_breach/

My PC specifications are in my profile.

i don't feel as if you need to use bitdefender anyway

Windows Defender for lyfe +MBAM

...but thats a dif story.

sucks that a defender company got hacked tho lol

Meh..........I use them. I use different passwords for both of my emails and just a really same password for everything else. But then again I don't give out my email a whole lot so yea and I use tons of fake info.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

affecting less than 1% of their costumers

Still, facepalm*

I use Bitdefender.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Untitled.png

This is going to be a huge pain in the ass for them. They've just spent millions on a push into the APAC market for their enterprise protection from training to demo resources to have this come up. They've got a userbase as well of approximately 500 million users too.

A security company that... didn't have encrypted customer passwords...

You'd think that Bitdefender, being a security company, would have something basic like that.

They aren't exactly a cybersecurity company.

They make anti-virus and anti-spyware solutions, and that didn't help them in stopping the breach. Is it stupid that they didn't encrypt the users' passwords? Totally.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

They aren't exactly a cybersecurity company.

They make anti-virus and anti-spyware solutions, and that didn't help them in stopping the breach. Is it stupid that they didn't encrypt the users' passwords? Totally.

Just because they are seemingly incompetent doesn't mean they aren't a Cybersecurity company... That's like saying a Dodge Neon isn't a car just because it's a shitty one.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

lolololololololololololololololololool

that is all

"if nothing is impossible, try slamming a revolving door....." - unknown

my new rig bob https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/b/sGRG3C#cx710255

Kumaresh - "Judging whether something is alive by it's capability to live is one of the most idiotic arguments I've ever seen." - jan 2017

never recommended BitDefender's products; and guess where I'm from  :lol:

I don't know about the long term affect on the company though

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

can someone explain why dont these big companies ever hash their passwords ?

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Money.

Cpu: Intel i7 6700k Mobo: ASUS Maximus VIII Formula Ram: G.Skill RipjawsV 3200Mhz C14 16Gb Gpu: Gigabyte 980ti Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Psu: EVGA SuperNOVA 850w G2

Because nobody believes they will get hacked. Think about every victim interviewed regardless of the crime & they all say "I never thought this would happen to me, this town/community, etc....