Downclocking?

Tilaron

Hi all, I have been trouble-shooting my performance issues in HotS with a blizzard employee and he's suggested I downclock my card (inno3d iChill 960GTX 2GB) to the reference speeds. Unfortunately using both MSI Afterburner and EVGA Precision X I haven't been able to figure out how to downclock further than around 90MHz or even touch the boost.

For reference my card is at 1329MHz with a boost to 1393MHz, a reference 960 is 1127MHz, boost of 1178MHz

So with either of those programs can I actually do this? If not, how screwed am I?

I seriously doubt it will even make a difference to my problem, but if I can say "Done that" maybe I'll get further along the support line...

Edit: I suppose I should add that I've pretty much never overclocked/downclocked anything before, never needed to, so if I need to do something in the bios to make this happen I'll need detailed instructions to overcome my dumbness.

If it doesn't happen in other games then there is no reason to downclock imo. But both those programs should let you lock your clocks to what you want. 

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Downclocking shouldn't be required to "fix" a game... I wonder what that blizzard employee is thinking.

I agree, no reason you should have to cut performance to play a game. This isn't the emotion engine.

spoliers are broken go to my page ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I agree, no reason you should have to cut performance to play a game. This isn't the emotion engine.

Not only that, with a vBIOS-set higher clockspeed, your "basic" speed is what that clockspeed is. For example, my 780M's base speed is 773MHz. I have a modded vBIOS that sets that to 850MHz. What, do I need to change my vBIOS to play a game? >_>

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

Yeah, well, if I can just genuinely tell him I've done it maybe we can move on to him actually solving the problem... however unlikely that is at this point.

I have tried and tried in both programs to downclock, manually putting in -whateverthehell but it resets to -90

I'm on the verge of throwing feces at the wall giving up :(