OS load while running F@H or SETI@H question.

I looked around and did a search for this topic but I didn't find anything. If there is already a thread that answers my question(s) and I just missed it, feel free to post a link and tag me so that I can read it.

I have several older WinXP computers that I have be working on resurrecting and setting up to run either F@H or SETI@H just for kicks. I have also been wanting to really dive into Linux and learn the ins and outs of the distros, so I was considering just running different distros instead of the WinXP. If I were to run some really light Linux distros instead of Windows, that should (in theory) free up a little CPU/RAM to put towards the folding programs, right?

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.

I looked around and did a search for this topic but I didn't find anything. If there is already a thread that answers my question(s) and I just missed it, feel free to post a link and tag me so that I can read it.

I have several older WinXP computers that I have be working on resurrecting and setting up to run either F@H or SETI@H just for kicks. I have also been wanting to really dive into Linux and learn the ins and outs of the distros, so I was considering just running different distros instead of the WinXP. If I were to run some really light Linux distros instead of Windows, that should (in theory) free up a little CPU/RAM to put towards the folding programs, right?

Technically, yes. It won't make any significant difference though. 

Technically, yes. It won't make any significant difference though. 

Ok, that's what I figured seeing as they are pretty old.

END OF LINE

-- Project Deep Freeze Build Log --

Quote me so that I always know when you reply, feel free to snip if the quote is long. May your FPS be high and your temperatures low.