Is Windows 10 worth it?

Go to solution Solved by TheForgeEmpire,

OK. So wise to wait.

Okay... Recently I upgraded to Windows 10. Is it just a glorified Windows 8 or actually something worth the disk space?

Windows 10 worth it? Yes, it free why not take it

Is it worth to install right now? NO, many people experience a lot of major issues but some people don't. So is like lottery brother. 

Note: Had Windows 7 before with 300GB roughly left of space. Upgraded, 14 GB taken away!

Windows 10 worth it? Yes, it free why not take it

Is it worth to install right now? NO, many people experience a lot of major issues but some people don't. So is like lottery brother. 

I agree.

Worth it? In a couple weeks for sure.

However right now, a good number of people are experiencing issues, why test luck and not just wait a week or two for the kinks to work themselves out is beyond me.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Worth it cause it's free upgrade for Windows 7 and 8.1 for at least a year. Be cautious about upgrading early though (since it's already out) as it may seem to be still early for some and may still have bugs affecting smoothness of the operation.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

Its worth it. has aspects of the classic windows 7 and removes that ugly modern UI, adds Cortana, your AI personal assistant who scares me because I don't support advancement in anything related to artificial intelligence. I do and don't at the same time, talking to a computer? YES PLEASE, 

in a simple answer yes in a more detailed answer yes it is

My speakers dont even fit on or under my desk...PA's FTW

Note: Had Windows 7 before with 300GB roughly left of space. Upgraded, 14 GB taken away!

Did you ever remove the windows.old folder in your C: Drive?

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

Worth it. It is more lightweight than windows 8.1 and has better features.

Oh my god :) the whole ltt community are touhou fans

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!

Oh my god :) the whole ltt community are touhou fans

touhou fans? You mean this thing?!

hakurei-reimu-touhou-project-26669-1920x

mines opposite of that, only about 20GB left on 7 then became 110 left when upgraded. almost had a heart attack thinking my files were lost.

OK. So wise to wait.

Yeah, i would wait if you dont want to deal with bugs. I have it installed and i can tell you, it's just as good as windows 7 was on launch. But i would wait for the 2nd patch or something.

Nooooooo it is not. The operating system is very nice, but it breaks many other programs. I upgraded to Win 10 and rolled back to Win 8 a few days later. It is best to wait a few months until all the bugs have been fixed.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

In its current state I say it's worth it.

It's free, ligher than 7 and 8.1, and boots up faster as a result, and some of the features work really really well out of the proverbial box.

However, some programs don't work with it yet. It's adviseable that you wait a bit.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

I'm liking it so far but the one thing I really hate is the new privacy policy. Thats okay I have no shame, I'll show them all my hot stuff.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

No issues here and I dont have any regrets in upgrading :)

Here's my take on windows 10 so far:

Pros:

WDDM 2.0/Directx12 (but no games use dx12 yet, so if this is your main reason for upgrading you can wait)

Start menu

Improved Window management (virtual desktops/expose)

Improved notifications (finally, a notifications center/persistent notifications)

Windowed modern apps, no more annoying fullscreen context switches on the desktop

Edge (though I personally still prefer firefox, edge is very fast but very barebones)

Cortana (if you're into that sort of thing)

Cons:

Poor privacy defaults (everything it opt-out instead of opt-in, some rather troubling things are enabled default like sharing wifi passwords with contacts)

Potential driver issues. As mentioned above, it will work perfectly for some, but others may have driver issues like with any major OS upgrade.

Forced driver updates for the Home edition (though ms has now released a tool that you can download to defer specific updates)

A lot of the included apps are missing very basic features (e.g. mail app doesn't support .zip attachments, edge doesn't support pinned tabs, sync and many other features present in just about every other browser).

The following is very much 'IMO':

Very unpolished Interface:

Tons of different context menu styles

Forced white window borders for win32 apps. This looks absolutely horrible for apps that make heavy use of the titlebar like google chrome, firefox etc... (but firefox has thankfully hardcoded a grey background for the tab strip in firefox 40 beta)

The control panel situation is as segregated and inconsistent as ever. I had initially heard during the preview that MS was going to finally consolidate things into one control panel after the win8 mess, but in windows 10 it's worse then ever. Some settings are present in both the new Settings app and the old control panel, some settings are only present in one or the other, and you never know when clicking something in the settings app will launch the old control panel. It's all over the place. This is probably my biggest annoyance with windows 10 (and 8).

touhou fans? You mean this thing?!

hakurei-reimu-touhou-project-26669-1920x

Yes, that thing

500 Posts achieved 29/4/16 9:13PM

i7 980x Power! BeamnDrivionothbesgameComicSans

“I was the rebellious one.” - Maxene Andrews

Damn that's a nice hair flick 1981 Simon LeBon!

"Nothing gets you going like a juicy pussy!" - ashens

"what sorry blender isn't that what you make smoothe?" - pathole

"Yeah, well i'm a member of the waffen ss who lives with hitler in the bunker And i like modern music!" - Hans krebs loves fish

"We won world war 2 for a reason" - ironic shitposting is still shitposting

"Fight shooting game with pretty girls" - megami strike 1943

"You've got wood in an evo" - moog

"oxygofishafacematerialsotosis" - linus

"Vehicle stimulator" - crappy russian mod site

"The power table" - Nerdcubed

"Nuclear spaghetti" - ashens

FRANKIE SAYS RELAX!!!!