Studio monitors for general listening?

LiveTrooper

Okay, so I have been using these cheap Dell computer speakers for years but now they are breaking on me and I was looking to upgrade. My friend has these studio monitors (KRK Rokit 5) and he loves them and recommended them to me. I understand monitors are meant to reproduce flat sounds, but will they work for casual listening/movies/gaming? I also produce videos which can have sounds effects and voice recordings, so that's why I was leaning toward studio monitors, particularly the KRK Rokit 5's. Just asking for opinions if these sound good for normal use. Thanks!

They work great for pretty much anything.  I use JBL LSR305's for PC speakers and Mackie HR824's in my home theater.  It's hard not to like very low distortion and flat frequency response.  Having heard those KRK's too, I picked the JBLs over them, the wave guides are simply amazing.  The highs sound the same no matter the angle you are listening at whereas on the more traditional tweeters of the KRKs they fall off rapidly outside of the sweet spot.  The built in DSP also seems to get a bit more bass extension on the JBLs as well, though that's only a big deal if you don't plan on using a sub.

Are music, movies, and gaming somehow different than regular audio? It's all sound.

Well I find it harder to discern the differences in sound signature between good speakers compared to headphones and I don't have a lot of experience with speakers compared to headphones. 

JBL LSR305 is a very popular studio monitor for this price point. Some people don't like KRK, while some praise them. Yamaha also has a studio monitor at this point, I'd check it out

Thanks guys, I will check out the JBLs and I am not getting a sub anytime soon. I really like the design and make of the KRK, although I understand I am paying for audio, not aesthetics.