Is it possible to stream content to a lower spec'd PC connected to a TV.

Dimi3os

Hey Guys, I was wondering if it was possible to stream content from my rig to a pc with lower specs over ethernet. I would like to use this for a home cinema. nvidia gamestream would work for games I guess, but I would need something like remote desktop orso to access it remotely. Any ideas on how to do this and how to set it up. 

Also, how could I set up an internal LAN network next to my existing LAN network which is connected to the internet. My main rig's mobo is an X99 deluxe with 2 NICs, would it work if I would run a cable from 1 of the NICs to the PC at my tv? I wouldn't like to do it over wifi or regular LAN since my speeds are 200 mbps up, 12 down and with ethernet I could reach 1 Gbit/s.

To be honest, I'd go with a Mircast dongle or something not too dissimilar.

Have both of the computers wired to your home internet and use Microsoft RDC?

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

If you have the ethernet running through the modem you will still get 1gbps as its a local network (assuming your modem has 1gbps ethernet ports) and its much more simple than configuring a direct link... I would simply copy whatever movie you wish to want to the media pc OR use networking tab in my computer in win 7/8/10 to access your documents/desktop of your main rig

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

To be honest, I'd go with a Mircast dongle or something not too dissimilar.

Have you tried it? It comes at a good price but what speeds does it handle?

Have both of the computers wired to your home internet and use Microsoft RDC?

I wouldn't use RDC for that.

Just use a shared volume on your main rig and connect to it across the network on the stream pc? Bandwidth shouldn't be that much of a problem unless you're using really high bitrate stuff?

Sig under construction.

If you have the ethernet running through the modem you will still get 1gbps as its a local network (assuming your modem has 1gbps ethernet ports) and its much more simple than configuring a direct link... I would simply copy whatever movie you wish to want to the media pc OR use networking tab in my computer in win 7/8/10 to access your documents/desktop of your main rig

My modem has 1Gbit/s ports, a router comes out of it and then a switch is used to run all the cables from. So If I were to connect both pcs to a port that connects to the switch I would get 1Gbit/s since it's in the same network?

Have you tried it? It comes at a good price but what speeds does it handle?

Yeah, I have the Microsoft Mircast dongle, works really well with both my desktop and Surface Pro 3.

It's over WiFi so I'd either recommend getting an AC router or having it in the same room (I have it in the same room, using wireless N)

I wouldn't use RDC for that.

Just use a shared volume on your main rig and connect to it across the network on the stream pc? Bandwidth shouldn't be that much of a problem unless you're using really high bitrate stuff?

Planning on using the highest bitrates available, I have unlimited bandwith though, hoeray Belgium :D

Yeah, I have the Microsoft Mircast dongle, works really well with both my desktop and Surface Pro 3.

It's over WiFi so I'd either recommend getting an AC router or having it in the same room (I have it in the same room, using wireless N)

Does the dongle support ac? the newegg specs are overwhelming.

Planning on using the highest bitrates available, I have unlimited bandwith though, hoeray Belgium :D

Okay, so what's  causing the 200mbps speed limit on your LAN?

Sig under construction.

Okay, so what's  causing the 200mbps speed limit on your LAN?

My ISP (no fiber deployed in Belgium yet, another hoeray :P)

at least not for consumers.

My modem has 1Gbit/s ports, a router comes out of it and then a switch is used to run all the cables from. So If I were to connect both pcs to a port that connects to the switch I would get 1Gbit/s since it's in the same network?

Yes, or you can go into ipv4 settings for both pc's change the IP's to like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 and then directly link the two together, however this would mean the pc connected in the living room would not have internet.

Gaming PC: CPU: i7 4770k@4.2GHz w/ CM Nepton 140xl, GPU: Gigabyte 1070 @2050, RAM: ADATA XPG V1 16GB@2133MHz, Mobo: MSI Z97 Gaming 7, Case: Corsair NZXT S340.

Does the dongle support ac? the newegg specs are overwhelming.

Dont even bother, I have a miracast within 3 steps of my modem and it still doesn't stream properly... you'd have to get the gigabit adapter...

My ISP (no fiber deployed in Belgium yet, another hoeray :P)

at least not for consumers.

No, you were saying that your LAN (local area network) was capped at 200mbps?

Sig under construction.

Yes, or you can go into ipv4 settings for both pc's change the IP's to like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 and then directly link the two together, however this would mean the pc connected to the living room would not have internet.

Would the host pc (the main rig) or the one IN the living room have no internet?

No, you were saying that your LAN (local area network) was capped at 200mbps?

Well, the ethernet cables that connect to the modem I meant, my mistake.

Would the host pc (the main rig) or the one IN the living room have no internet?

As I said, the one in the living room, re-read what I said

Yes, or you can go into ipv4 settings for both pc's change the IP's to like 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2 and then directly link the two together, however this would mean the pc connected to the living room would not have internet.

I'll go for the first option :P Any advice on how to access the content other than remote desktop?

As I said, the one in the living room, re-read what I said

"Connected to" :P they're both connected to the living room but one is in it :P No hard feelings bruh, thx for helping me out.

I'll go for the first option :P Any advice on how to access the content other than remote desktop?

if its on your desktop or in your documents, there should be a networking tab with any win 7/8/10 pc's connected to your internet that are turned on, simply double click on one of those pc's and you can access their documents and desktop, just go to the pc in the living room and try that.

"Connected to" :P they're both connected to the living room but one is in it :P No hard feelings bruh, thx for helping me out.

Oh I edited it to connected in probably just as you quoted it :/ 

if its on your desktop or in your documents, there should be a networking tab with any win 7/8/10 pc's connected to your internet that are turned on, simply double click on one of those pc's and you can access their documents and desktop, just go to the pc in the living room and try that.

All right, I will set it up after I sleep (2 am here in europe :P)

Oh I edited it to connected in probably just as you quoted it :/ 

No problem :P For clarity!