Canon T2i Time Lapse

Gonna be doing a time lapse of a 3d print with my T2i. The print will take about 10 hours and I don't know how much space that will take up on the SD Card. Please help. I have never done this long of a time lapse before and need to know if I need a larger SD card.

What resolution? At 1080p, every time lapse picture should equal around a quarter to an eighth of a 1080p picture.

If you're going to make a time lapse using pictures, then it's easy enough to shoot with a lower resolution so that pictures will take up less space.

One picture every 10 second for 10 hours would be 3,600 pictures. Once every 30 seconds would be 1,200 pictures. You could even go so far as to only take a picture once a minute. 600 pictures = 25 seconds of time lapse at 24 frames per second.

You know that you'll need a remote release with timer or magic lantern?

When doing Timelapse photography:

1. Hardware

Obviously the camera and lens

An intervelometer remote (or software like Magic Lantern), I prefer using remotes, they are easier to setup.

Tripod, enough batteries or an AC adapter for your camera.

2. Calculations

How long is the 3D printing process going to take?

How many minutes or seconds do you want the final timelapse video to be?

What is your video framerate?

For example: Do you want to compress a 10 hour long 3D printing process into a 5 minutes video?

For example:

10 hour long compressed into a 5 minutes video at 25fps: 25 x 60 x 5 = 7500 frames you need to record.

The interval setting would have to be: 10 hrs = 36,000 seconds / 7500 frames = 1 photo every 4.8 seconds

Say you set your camera to record only high quality "lossless" jpeg at 18MP, not RAW, not TIFF, not basic compressed JPEG, each image would probably take up on average 5MB.  (I'm a Nikonian, dunno Canon's other than a 5DII for videos, I'll base my file size estimate on this: http://kb.sandisk.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69/~/number-of-pictures-that-can-be-stored-on-a-memory-device)

You're going to need a 64GB SD card for my example.

Note: If you're final video frame rates are going to be 23.97fps, 29.97fps or 59.97 fps (24p, 30p, 60p), round the frame rates to the nearest whole number (24, 30, 60).

Best forum for timelapse enthusiasts: http://forum.timescapes.org/phpBB3/index.php

Guide: DSLR or Video camera?, Guide: Film/Photo makers' useful resources, Guide: Lenses, a quick primer

Nikon D4, Nikon D800E, Fuji X-E2, Canon G16, Gopro Hero 3+, iPhone 5s. Hasselblad 500C/M, Sony PXW-FS7

ICT Consultant, Photographer, Video producer, Scuba diver and underwater explorer, Nature & humanitarian documentary producer