low end graphics card demand in decline

zMeul

source: http://digitimes.com/news/a20150729PD219.html

Graphics card players have recently started turning their focuses to mid-range and high-end graphics cards as related demand from enthusiast gamers continues to rise despite the fact that overall PC sales are still weak, according to sources from the upstream supply chain.

Some channel retailers pointed out that overall demand in the PC DIY market has been dropping, but demand for high-end components such as CPUs, motherboards and graphics cards continues to rise, and because of their high gross margins, many players have turned to the market segment, looking to improve their profitability.

Among the graphics card players, Asustek Computer has performed rather well recently and the company's graphics card product line together with the motherboard business has become a stable profit foundation.

In China, Asustek is not able to surpass Colorful and Galaxy in terms of graphics card shipments because of a 17% value-added tax on memory, but still has advantages in the country's high-end graphics market.

---

no wonder ...
the low end graphic cards were replaced by AMD's APUs and Intel's CPUs with Integrated Graphics
as I previously noted here, the low-end graphic cards market may be in serious danger of becoming obsolete

About time, paying so little for a GPU is just not worth it any more. 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

About time, paying so little for a GPU is just not worth it any more. 

Was it ever? :)

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Well, decent mid-ranged cards are getting cheaper and cheaper, so it makes sense.

Was it ever?  :)

Times where low end dedicated gpus were A LOT BETTER than integrated ones.

Rig: I5-3570K@4.3Ghz - Cooler Thermaltake Frio Advanced - Ram Kingston 1333Mhz 8gb (2x4) - GPU GTX 970 4GD5T OC - Motherboard Z77MA-G45 - PSU CoolerMaster GX II 750w - Storage WD 500gb HDD - Sound Edifier M3700 5.1 - Headset Corsair Vengeance 1500 - Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013 - Keyboard Razer Anansi - Mousepad Steelseries QcK+ - Xbox 360 Wireless Controller x2

Good, with AMDs and Intels Integrated/APU Graphics becoming better maybe we will see stronger "low" end cards.

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

you can get mid range cards for amazing prices now, in the uk you can get a gtx 660 for like 60 pounds.

Gpu: MSI 4G GTX 970 | Cpu: i5 4690k @4.6Ghz 1.23v | Cpu Cooler: Cryorig r1 ultimate | Ram: 1600mhz 2x8Gb corsair vengeance | Storage: sandisk ultra ii 128gb (os) 1TB WD Green | Psu: evga supernova g1 650watt | Case: fractal define s windowed |

It was bound to happen with Intel and AMD improving their integrated graphics solutions to the point where low-end GPUs are basically obsolete.

the only rational reaction from Nvidia has to be reprice the 970 at 150 euros and onwards

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

I'd rather see a flourish on an integrated gpu than a stand alone low end. That's what makes sense right now, as nobody would pay extra for it.

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

the only rational reaction from Nvidia has to be reprice the 970 at 150 euros and onwards

I don't think you understand how nVidia works  -_-

or any other company on that matter

Maybe now games will catch up to hardware.

Doubtful though

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Low end cards still have their place. In my case, the most I would need is probably an R7 360 (I usually run emulators at downsampled 1440P/4K). The problem with something like Iris graphics is that they have a £170+ CPU attached to them.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

The really low end of the Nvidia side was completely ommited this generation (710,20,30,40 equivalents). Guess integrated graphics are good enough that people that don't game or creat content can get by without discrete graphics. They weren't a segment of the market that made sense anyway.

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

Low end cards still have their place. In my case, the most I would need is probably an R7 360 (I usually run emulators at downsampled 1440P/4K). The problem with something like Iris graphics is that they have a £170+ CPU attached to them.

An R7 360 is not that low end. you can go down to the 340 and you still got an entire tier of lower end cards, at least you did in the previous gen

System

• CPU
    I7-4790K @ 4,7GHz
  • Motherboard
    Asus MAXIMUS Formula VI
  • RAM
    Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB Kit (2x8GB) 1866MHz
  • GPU
    MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X
  • Case
    Cooler Master Cosmos SE
  • Storage
    Samsung 840 EVO 500GB+WD Green 3TB
  • PSU
    EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 80PLUS Gold Certified
  • Display(s)
    ASUS PB277Q 27" WQHD 2560x1440 75Hz 1ms
  • Cooling
    Corsair H105 with AP121s and Phanteks fans
  • Keyboard
    Logitech G610 Orion
  • Mouse
    E-3lue E-Blue Mazer II 2500 DPI Blue LED 2.4GHz Wireless Optical Gaming Mouse
  • Sound
    Audio-Technica ATH-M20x
  • Operating System
    Windows 10

When my brother got his new computer, it came with a 3.8GHz AMD FX processor (I don't know the model, but it was a somewhat recent quad core processor) and an absolute joke of a graphics card. Want to know what graphics card it came with? The Radeon R5 230. The 8 year old GPU that was installed in his old computer literally outperformed it in every game he played. Ever since he upgraded to a GTX 750Ti (and even more recently a GTX 970), I got a hold of that Radeon R5 230, and put it in my HP Compaq Pentium 4 machine (because I'm weird that way). Turns out that card is a great fit for Pentium 4 systems. I can actually play Skyrim on that computer, as long as I keep my expectations low (I mean almost completely lowest graphics settings). Mass Effect 2 is even more playable on it.

I have no signature. There is nothing to see here. Move along.

makes sense. people either get iGPU's or mid-high end GPU's. It's been a long time since ive seen someone with something in-between.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

With even igpus capable of decent gaming from both AMD and shortly from intel as well with the iris pro 6200 I expect this trend to continue: there's no reason why anyone should use anything lower than say a 750ti for gaming

-------

Current Rig

-------

Exactly. The interesting thing is to note that these APU's will eat up the graphics cards market from the ground up, slowly removing more and more lines of discrete cards from below. This is also why NVidia is fixated on creating vendor lock in, so their customers cannot financially switch to something cheaper/better, as they risk high switching costs (like replacing gsync monitor).

People constantly talk about AMD being in financial problems, but really NVidia will be the company that will suffer long term, as they have no CPU business and no console business or APU business. They need to make their own proper console or more gaming paraphernalia. They are on their way, but will also shift them towards complete proprietary platforms, which takes them away from PC business. 

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Exactly. The interesting thing is to note that these APU's will eat up the graphics cards market from the ground up, slowly removing more and more lines of discrete cards from below. This is also why NVidia is fixated on creating vendor lock in, so their customers cannot financially switch to something cheaper/better, as they risk high switching costs (like replacing gsync monitor).

People constantly talk about AMD being in financial problems, but really NVidia will be the company that will suffer long term, as they have no CPU business and no console business or APU business. They need to make their own proper console or more gaming paraphernalia. They are on their way, but will also shift them towards complete proprietary platforms, which takes them away from PC business. 

I imagine that by the point that we get away from silicon and down below 7nm even most medium range cards will be rendered obsolete specially if a CPU switches to HMB for it's cache and vram, making everything simpler and such. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

I imagine that by the point that we get away from silicon and down below 7nm even most medium range cards will be rendered obsolete specially if a CPU switches to HMB for it's cache and vram, making everything simpler and such. 

Indeed. What we could also see are bigger APU's. Imagine a 14nm FF APU right now with 4/6 CPU cores and the rest being GPU with HBM, the size of a 2011 18 core XEON, or maybe even bigger than that. It might take an AIO to deal with it, but you could have a stupidly powerful single package chip, that could deal with even mid end GPU's.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

That will depend on who collapses under who first. If AMD falls before Intel knocks Nvidia out of HPC, Nvidia will be fine. If Nvidia falls first, AMD is a sitting duck.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

That will depend on who collapses under who first. If AMD falls before Intel knocks Nvidia out of HPC, Nvidia will be fine. If Nvidia falls first, AMD is a sitting duck.

What makes you think the investors would let AMD fall? They may file for chapter 11, if it goes wrong, but thinking that AMD would just disappear is wishful thinking. Remember that some of the biggest investors/share holders of AMD, also co owns Global Foundries (which is one of the reasons it got extracted from AMD to begin with). The underestimation of AMD is not surprising, but indeed an underestimation.

Good. Need to get latest integrated graphics to be on the level of the latest x60 nvidia and x70 amd cards. THEN we are golden.

you can get mid range cards for amazing prices now, in the uk you can get a gtx 660 for like 60 pounds.

Oh come on, that's used...

What makes you think the investors would let AMD fall? They may file for chapter 11, if it goes wrong, but thinking that AMD would just disappear is wishful thinking. Remember that some of the biggest investors/share holders of AMD, also co owns Global Foundries (which is one of the reasons it got extracted from AMD to begin with). The underestimation of AMD is not surprising, but indeed an underestimation.

Because Chapter 11 is out of reach under the structure of their main debts. If AMd doesn't have 600 million USD in liquid cash in Escrow on Jan 1st 2019, it will cause immediate controlled bankruptcy and likely a dissolution of the company. AMD would likely be split into two pieces, ATI being sold off to the highest bidder (Intel or Apple being the most likely of the North American companies). At that point the AMD investors will be looking for a merger/buyout to recover their money and get off of the AMD crazy train (Nvidia).

I'm not underestimating anything. I already took all of that into consideration.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd