Facebook to use giant UAV to cover the world /w 10 Gbit/s internet

This is very cool, but it is also a way for Facebook to get their service and by extension their money making machine to all the corners of the world.

post-1902-0-91745400-1438355599.jpg

http://www.wired.com/2015/07/facebook-poses-test-737-sized-solar-powered-drone/

AT AN AIRFIELD somewhere in the UK, there’s a drone with the wingspan of a Boeing 737. And it belongs to Facebook.

This enormous unmanned aerial vehicle is called Aquila—a nod to the eagle who carried Zeus’s thunder bolts in Greek mythology—and it’s part of Facebook’s rather ambitious effort to deliver Internet access to the more than 4 billion people on earth who don’t already have it. The idea is that Aquila will circle in the stratosphere, above the weather, wirelessly beaming Internet signals to base stations in underdeveloped areas of countries like Nigeria and India.

post-1902-0-57137000-1438355609.jpg

Though as wide as a 737, the drone weighs hundreds of times less than the commercial airliner, thanks to a carbon-fiber frame. The goal, Maguire says, is to reach a point where the drone can stay aloft for 90 days at an altitude of between 60,000 and 90,000 feet.

post-1902-0-55630400-1438355624.jpg

According to Maguire, the group has designed and tested a laser that can deliver data at “10s of Gbits per second,” hitting a target the size of a dime at a distance of 10 miles.

post-1902-0-91745400-1438355599.jpg

post-1902-0-57137000-1438355609.jpg

post-1902-0-55630400-1438355624.jpg

Double repost

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Darn it. Thought I searched for it all.

Double repost

Has the whole world gone crazy? Am I the only one around here who gives a shit about the rules? Mark it zero!

post the link ^^

Double repost

Wasn't that about google?

If you call the rules, be sure to follow them to yourself by posting the link

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Wasn't that about google?

If you call the rules, be sure to follow them to yourself by posting the link

this is not nam'

So will this cover rural areas of the U.S? I'm gettin' real tired of my ISP's shit...

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

So will this cover rural areas of the U.S? I'm gettin' real tired of my ISP's shit...

Read the dam post and you'd know

CPU: i7 5820k @4.4GHz | MoboMSI MPower X99A | RAM: 16GB DDR4 Quad Channel Corsair LP | GPU: EVGA 1080 FTW Case: Define R5 Black Window | OS: Win 10 Pro

Storage: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB 2x WD Red 4TB | PSU: EVGA 750W G2 | Display:Acer XF270HU + Dell U2515H | Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC14PE

Keyboard: Ducky One  TKL Browns | Mouse: Steel Series Rival 300 | Sound: DT990s

Hey, don't be an asshole. I did read it and it sounds like it's only going to be available in countries in Africa and in India. 

Now, you know what you can expect from these barbarians. They are a race of rabid BASTARDS that will fight us tooth and nail! But they don't know what they're up against. Cyrodiil, is CIVILIZATION! Cyrodiil, is ORDER! Cyrodiil is POWER! And out here, WE. ARE. CYRODIIL. 

Most polite post 2016

That's like 100x the speed I have in the first world...

Don't know if it means 10 gb total, or 10gb per laser.

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

Most polite post 2016

That's like 100x the speed I have in the first world...

Don't know if it means 10 gb total, or 10gb per laser.

For real though I want to know if this is gonna be available everywhere in the U.S...

"UAV is Online"

When I make a post, unless I am the original poster or ask for a reply, don't bother replying or quoting me because I don't read them.

Hey, don't be an asshole. I did read it and it sounds like it's only going to be available in countries in Africa and in India. 

Africa isn't a country. :)

Green With Envy

A build based on a children's cartoon

Haha, next they'll start saying Australia's really a continent. What bozos.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Haha, next they'll start saying Australia's a continent. What bozos.

*COUNTRIES* *IN* *AFRICA* sigh

*COUNTRIES* *IN* *AFRICA* sigh

Come on. That was bald-faced sarcasm.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I know that feeling all too well. Century Link basically randomly decides when I can use the internet for more than checking email.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I know that feeling all too well. Century Link basically randomly decides when I can use the internet for more than checking email.

I can barely do anything. We pay $55 a month for 10Mb out here in this rural area and for about 2 years it kept that steady 10Mb. Ever since this new company took over at the beginning of summer, my speeds in the morning are 5Mb, speeds in the afternoon to evening are 2Mb, and speeds during the night are less than 1Mb. I've called numerous times trying to get them to fix it but nobody has done a thing about it. 

I can barely do anything. We pay $55 a month for 10Mb out here in this rural area and for about 2 years it kept that steady 10Mb. Ever since this new company took over at the beginning of summer, my speeds in the morning are 5Mb, speeds in the afternoon to evening are 2Mb, and speeds during the night are less than 1Mb. I've called numerous times trying to get them to fix it but nobody has done a thing about it.

I'll trade you.I also live in a rural area. I pay $120 a month from a company called cyberonics, I'm suppose to be getting 3Mb down and 1Mb up. I have had this service for a year now, this is the only plan in my area that does not have a data cap. I am lucky if I get 56kbs and above. I also pay $130 a month for excede satalite internet, which is fast 12Mb down but the only time I can use it because it has a data cap of 25Gb is from 12am to 5am because it's there so called "freezone" time, so I have to stay up tell the butt crack of dawn and pay $250 in total just so I can do everything I need to do during the day and download updates to all my divices and watch YouTube, Netflix and keep up with tech at night. :( I hate how companies think they can take advantage and rip people off that live in rural areas just because it's a couple of minutes out of town.

My Sig Rig: "X79 (3970X) -Midas"http://pcpartpicker.com/p/wsjGt6"  "Midas" Build Log - https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/59768-build-log-in-progress-code-name-midas/

"The Riddler" Custom Watercooled H440 Build Log ( in collaboration with my wife @ _TechPuppet_ ) - http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/149652-green-h440-special-edition-the-riddler-almost-there/

*Riptide Customs* " We sleeve PSU cables "

I'll trade you.I also live in a rural area. I pay $120 a month from a company called cyberonics, I'm suppose to be getting 3Mb down and 1Mb up. I have had this service for a year now, this is the only plan in my area that does not have a data cap. I am lucky if I get 56kbs and above. I also pay $130 a month for excede satalite internet, which is fast 12Mb down but the only time I can use it because it has a data cap of 25Gb is from 12am to 5am because it's there so called "freezone" time, so I have to stay up tell the butt crack of dawn and pay $250 in total just so I can do everything I need to do during the day and download updates to all my divices and watch YouTube, Netflix and keep up with tech at night. :( I hate how companies think they can take advantage and rip people off that live in rural areas just because it's a couple of minutes out of town.

I know man. It's horrible. That's why I hope that this thing will cover the entire U.S. If it does, and if it's for a reasonable price, sign me up.