Server and networking and stuff

TheIcedCanadian

HI guys,

So I was messing around on the internet (as you do) and came across some setups of people servers and stuff. This kind of stuff always intrigued me, but I never got around to learning how it all workds. Now, I have become much more interessted into this kind of thing. I know how to build computers and all about that kind of thing, I just want to know the basics of servers and stuff. Like what kind of setup is Linus running and what is it used for? If someone could give me a quick rundown of how servers in general work and the different types that would be amazing. If no-one can be arsed.... well i also understand that :D

Thanks for any help! :D:D

Courses such as CCNA and Juniper provide an in-depth knowledge on the theory behind server hardware, security and auditing. I'm assuming he runs some gigabit multilayer switches for the workstations, high-end servers for storage (RAID most likely), enterprise router/s probably. As for protocols I'm assuming DHCP, TCP/IP, IP Tables, NAT, probably any of the following IGPs - EIGRP, OSPF or STATIC. Probably some hardware or cloud based firewall? I'm pretty sure he did a video a while back about their servers - where the video files are being stored and modified in real time.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna/index.html

HI guys,

So I was messing around on the internet (as you do) and came across some setups of people servers and stuff. This kind of stuff always intrigued me, but I never got around to learning how it all workds. Now, I have become much more interessted into this kind of thing. I know how to build computers and all about that kind of thing, I just want to know the basics of servers and stuff. Like what kind of setup is Linus running and what is it used for? If someone could give me a quick rundown of how servers in general work and the different types that would be amazing. If no-one can be arsed.... well i also understand that :D

Thanks for any help! :D :D

Alright, servers are enterprise grade (sometimes even consumer grade) computers that usually run 24/7. Their purpose is to support various services like websites, databases, application, network surveillance, storage of large files, Windows ADDS and so on.

Linus' setup, from the videos I noticed him running several servers for various things. A few storage servers (to store video material) a surveillance server and I suppose a web server. All of that is connected to a few switches some of them 10Gbps. And that's the local network. The routing get's a little more complicated so I would suggest you look up a few videos on how the internet works. It's basically a series of routers running BGP and other protocols. And then your ISP connects you to aggregation switches that are connected to those routers, even those switches can route traffic and then those aggregation switches connect to multiplexers that connect to junction boxes and somewhere down the line you get your Fiber or DSL socket.

Courses such as CCNA and Juniper provide an in-depth knowledge on the theory behind server hardware, security and auditing. I'm assuming he runs some gigabit multilayer switches for the workstations, high-end servers for storage (RAID most likely), enterprise router/s probably. As for protocols I'm assuming DHCP, TCP/IP, IP Tables, NAT, probably any of the following IGPs - EIGRP, OSPF or STATIC. Probably some hardware or cloud based firewall? I'm pretty sure he did a video a while back about their servers - where the video files are being stored and modified in real time.

http://www.cisco.com/web/learning/certifications/associate/ccna/index.html

I think you missed the point.