High End Gaming Laptop: Alienware or Asus?

I'm not really looking for a barebones laptop anyway lol.  I like flashy shit.  I love that feeling when I take a laptop or desktop component out of the box and just about cream my pants.

I wasn't recommending it barebones. It's rebranded by a ridiculous amount of companies. You're not going to get one looking flashy though. But if you want to pay more for a worse laptop that's up to you

I have finally moved to a desktop. Also my guides are outdated as hell.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

worse is a matter of perspective lol.  Flashier laptops tend to have better cooling because they're larger machines.

worse is a matter of perspective lol.  Flashier laptops tend to have better cooling because they're larger machines.

No, it's not a matter of perspective. It's:

i7-4790K (desktop CPU) + 980M with the best 17" laptop cooling + 2 HDD slots + 2 M.2 SSD slots + potential unlocked BIOS and power limits + 330W power brick capability

vs

i7-4710HQ/4980HQ + 980M with less good laptop cooling + 4 M.2 slots + 1 HDD slot + paid unlocked BIOS from Svet (no power limit control) + 230W power brick capability (and costs more)

It's not even a contest of opinion. Clevo simply has, flat out, the best performance/gaming machines. Want something fairly thin, the P6xxSx series is the best of the thinner laptops (though it's not the thinnest laptop line). Want something thicker, the P7xxZM is the way to go as I showed above. Want a SLI laptop? My model is the king. 660W PSU capability, 120Hz screen capability, 2 x HDD + 2 x mSATA + 1 x ODD (can be used as HDD slot), unlocked BIOS capability, full power control, socketed CPUs/GPUs, easy to access internals... the only thing I could even begin to think about for the GT80 is that the mechanical keyboard has no match, if that's your thing.

Everything else is a sacrifice of either power, speed, cooling, user control and/or sockets for parts. And usually costs more.

THE INFORMATION GUIDES: SLI INFORMATION || vRAM INFORMATION || MOBILE i7 CPU INFORMATION || Maybe more someday

RoG Asus all the way

please.

just'

horrid build quality from Alienware

coming from an Ex Owner 

and the fact that the specs on the RoG are better and its cheaper?

Better CPU (same GPU)  other then that same exact specs. 

Edit:

you'll also get criticized from everyone with an Alienware. Happened to me. I won't be caught dead with anything other then MSI Asus or XPS 13 now.

When did you own an alienware laptop? I had one of the recent ones, and the build quality was fantastic.

Asus is a better made laptop overall. Alienware is loaded with bloatware and a bunch of crap you just don't need. I mean what can you expect, they're owned and manufactured by dell now who is notorious for making systems that don't last more than a year. Or well, any dell that has ever been in my family has never lasted over a year. So definitely Asus. I have an Asus laptop (not gaming) and it's amazing. Performance has decreased over the past two years I've had it and nothing has gone wrong with it at all. Asus is a great brand. But you should check out some other brands, or just check out custom sites such as http://www.cyberpowerpc.com . That's where I bought my gaming laptop from and it's absolutely amazing. I've only had it for about 7 months but still. It's never let me down and I don't expect it to let me down anytime soon. If you aren't interested in any of those though then go with the Asus. You will definitely regret having an Alienware.

I've had alienware laptops, and they really don't come with very much bloatware. My Asus ultrabook had more

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

When did you own an alienware laptop? I had one of the recent ones, and the build quality was fantastic.

I've had alienware laptops, and they really don't come with very much bloatware. My Asus ultrabook had more

2013 model

absolutely horrid 

2013 model

absolutely horrid 

2014 model.

pretty damn good

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

2014 model.

pretty damn good

I do like the chassi design, But I prefer Origins hardware

2013 model

absolutely horrid 

I have a 2013 Alienware 14 at home as well, the build quality is okay, why do you say it's horrible? Other than the fans ramping up when playing CSGO, that is quite a good machine.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Msi doesn't make bad laptops either although I'm not sure how competitive the pricing is.

LINK-> Kurald Galain:  The Night Eternal 

Top 5820k, 980ti SLI Build in the World*

CPU: i7-5820k // GPU: SLI MSI 980ti Gaming 6G // Cooling: Full Custom WC //  Mobo: ASUS X99 Sabertooth // Ram: 32GB Crucial Ballistic Sport // Boot SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB

Mass SSD: Crucial M500 960GB  // PSU: EVGA Supernova 850G2 // Case: Fractal Design Define S Windowed // OS: Windows 10 // Mouse: Razer Naga Chroma // Keyboard: Corsair k70 Cherry MX Reds

Headset: Senn RS185 // Monitor: ASUS PG348Q // Devices: Note 10+ - Surface Book 2 15"

LINK-> Ainulindale: Music of the Ainur 

Prosumer DYI FreeNAS

CPU: Xeon E3-1231v3  // Cooling: Noctua L9x65 //  Mobo: AsRock E3C224D2I // Ram: 16GB Kingston ECC DDR3-1333

HDDs: 4x HGST Deskstar NAS 3TB  // PSU: EVGA 650GQ // Case: Fractal Design Node 304 // OS: FreeNAS

I have a 2013 Alienware 14 at home as well, the build quality is okay, why do you say it's horrible? Other than the fans ramping up when playing CSGO, that is quite a good machine.

constant thermal throttle, slowest boot time ever even after a clean install 

constant thermal throttle, slowest boot time ever even after a clean install 

I think it's just yours.

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

Maybe get an Asus UX303LB or UX303LN (Broadwell + 900 series gpu, Haswell + 800 series gpu).

They're not that powerful but they're the best ultrabook out there for their price range (only dual-cores and an 840m or 940m depending on year), much better than the intergrated gpus.

They seem to be getting good reviews and my friend personally has one (actually I just received one in the mail today, tho the screen brightness seems to not be working in Windows 10 for the 1080p model :/ ).

Check up some benchmarks and see if it's got enough frames for your liking, with the extra money you can just throw at a desktop or buy a new phone or something. If you don't do many LANs you don't really need a really expensive gaming laptop.

EDIT: nvm screen seems to be working fine now, drivers acting weird.

"The best solution to a problem is usually the easiest one" - GLaDOS 2011

Specs here if needed: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/HVf6f7

Thanks, bai!

Go for Asus since gaming Laptop really need an amazing cooling system.

No, it's not a matter of perspective. It's:

i7-4790K (desktop CPU) + 980M with the best 17" laptop cooling + 2 HDD slots + 2 M.2 SSD slots + potential unlocked BIOS and power limits + 330W power brick capability

vs

i7-4710HQ/4980HQ + 980M with less good laptop cooling + 4 M.2 slots + 1 HDD slot + paid unlocked BIOS from Svet (no power limit control) + 230W power brick capability (and costs more)

It's not even a contest of opinion. Clevo simply has, flat out, the best performance/gaming machines. Want something fairly thin, the P6xxSx series is the best of the thinner laptops (though it's not the thinnest laptop line). Want something thicker, the P7xxZM is the way to go as I showed above. Want a SLI laptop? My model is the king. 660W PSU capability, 120Hz screen capability, 2 x HDD + 2 x mSATA + 1 x ODD (can be used as HDD slot), unlocked BIOS capability, full power control, socketed CPUs/GPUs, easy to access internals... the only thing I could even begin to think about for the GT80 is that the mechanical keyboard has no match, if that's your thing.

Everything else is a sacrifice of either power, speed, cooling, user control and/or sockets for parts. And usually costs more.

I have a 2012 P151EM1 (Sager NP9130), and I have to agree with the value for money. This thing might be heavy for me personally, but it was a beast for $1300AUD. At the time, nothing came close to being good value. If I had to buy a new laptop, I'd certainly go with them again. Sacrificing 'looks' for power is worth it.

Sacrificing 'looks' for power is worth it.

It's called buying for function over form

Some people really do require a function of a thin laptop; not going to deny that. But then they shouldn't be looking for powerhouses.

It's called buying for function over form

Some people really do require a function of a thin laptop; not going to deny that. But then they shouldn't be looking for powerhouses.

Yeah form is a massively significant decision, since a laptop is a mobile platform, even its aesthetics can be important if it has to fit into somebodies lifestyle

As long as somebody understands the sacrifices they are making, and are happy to make them, then fair enough, ie sacrifice portability for performance, or performance for portability

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Yeah form is a massively significant decision, since a laptop is a mobile platform, even its aesthetics can be important if it has to fit into somebodies lifestyle

As long as somebody understands the sacrifices they are making, and are happy to make them, then fair enough, ie sacrifice portability for performance, or performance for portability

Form should still follow function... even if as I said, that function is to be a small and portable machine. But it goes both ways; forcing more power into a body incapable of using it is a problem, and the song I keep singing that you're quite sick of by now. But it's the same reason I have respect for say... the Alienware 13, rather than the Aorus X7.

But yes, if someone truly knows what they are getting into and is willing to accept that, then let them. I just don't want to hear them complaining about it after the fact, which is something MANY people tend to do.

This whole time, I've been saying larger and heavier is preferred.  The main reason I'm going with asus and only asus is the fact that the charging port is on the side; the only other large laptop with good cooling would be alienware.

This whole time, I've been saying larger and heavier is preferred.  The main reason I'm going with asus and only asus is the fact that the charging port is on the side; the only other large laptop with good cooling would be alienware.

Alienwares are not very good this generation. If you refuse to go with a Clevo rebrander and are going single GPU, get a GT72 from MSI.

If you cannot afford that, then get the ASUS.

Avoid the Alienwares if performance is your thing. The last good gen for them is the AW17 R1/AW18 (and those were downgrades from the M17x R4/R5 and M18x R2 in terms of full functionality). And you can't use the old ones moving forward anyway, because windows 10 and 353.62 are burning out the screens https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/862417/geforce-drivers/windows-10-official-353-62-drivers-are-killing-samsung-and-lg-notebook-lcd-display-panels/

So yeah, please ignore the entire existence of Alienware laptops as far as performance goes, unless you're picking up the AW13 for midrange purposes.