Need recommendations on hard drives for editing

Xtreme Gamer

I am looking for a hard drive that is optimized for video editing. It will have all my videos being edited, it will be my scratch disk, it will be my everything for video production pretty much. I know I need it to be high speed for rpm. But Idk how much storage it will need to be. I think the min MIGHT be 2-3TB, but I still am not sure. Thanks for any recommendations!!!!

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

WD Blacks?

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

You would be looking at a WD Red for RAID arrays (Such as RAID 1 for mirroring of data), WD Blue / Seagate barracuda for normal usage, or you can use the WD Black, which I think is faster than the WD Blues and Reds, however it causes more sound and also will not be as fast as an SSD (obviously..)

If you are looking for blazing fast speeds then the Intel 750 Series 1.2TB would be a good option, or other 1TB SSDs in Raid 0/1.

Quote me if you want me to see your message. Like my post if it helped. Click "Show More" to see things that I use.

Desktop (2014): CPU: Intel Core i5 4690k @ 3.50GHz | GPU: MSi GTX 970 Gaming 4G | Motherboard: MSi Z97 Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x4GB G.Skill RipJaws X 1600MHz + 2x4GB HyperX Black 1600MHz | SSD: Samsung 750 Evo 120GB | HDD: WD Black 1TB | Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212x | PSU: Corsair VS650 | Case: Cooler Master Elite 431 Plus | OS: Windows 10 Home

Laptop (2017): Model: Asus UX310U

Peripherals: Monitor: Samsung S24D300 OC@75Hz + Viewsonic XG2401 (144Hz) | Mouse: Logitech G305 | Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2 | Headset: HyperX Cloud Core | Speakers: Logitech Z333 | Additional: Logitech G29

Mobiles: Samsung Pixon (2010-2012) | Samsung Galaxy Ace (2012-2013) | Samsung Galaxy S3 (2013-2016) | Samsung Note 4 (2015)(Lost) | Samsung Galaxy S7 (2016-2019) | Samsung Galaxy S10 (2019 - Current) | Additional: ASUS Zenwatch 2 (2016)

You would be looking at a WD Red for RAID arrays (Such as RAID 1 for mirroring of data), WD Blue / Seagate barracuda for normal usage, or you can use the WD Black, which I think is faster than the WD Blues and Reds, however it causes more sound and also will not be as fast as an SSD (obviously..)

If you are looking for blazing fast speeds then the Intel 750 Series 1.2TB would be a good option, or other 1TB SSDs in Raid 0/1.

Tbh, I could care about the noise my pc gives when in use. All I want is the performance for the $$$$

I7-6700k, Asus Maximus VIII Formula, 2 x 8GB Corsair Dominator Plantinum ram, ASUS GTX 960 STRIX, sound blaster zx, 1TB boot drive ssd, 128GB/256GB storage ssd, 1TB storage HDD, 4TB of storage (backup),Windows 10 Pro,1000w psu

Tbh, I could care about the noise my pc gives when in use. All I want is the performance for the $$$$

maybe a seagte barricuda then? http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-ST2000DM001/dp/B005T3GRN2/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1438326718&sr=1-3&keywords=seagate+2tb , thats what i have and i do that as well  641a94034ba506068de54017ba3fc49b.png

WD Black, unless you want to buy a VelociRaptor... oh god why did I even say that 10k rpm... 

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822236243

WD Blacks?

Is that much storage even enough though? Or should I go higher?

If your working at Linus Media group and your transporting Terabytes of video files at once lol yes, if not use a smaller file size codec.

I'd say maybe 2-4TB is enough.

If you want to backup videos and such then get a couple large WD Green drives to use for storage. (They are slow, so storage is their best use)

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

How much storage you need depends on what you're working on. If possible, a ssd would be optimal for a scratchdisk.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

How much storage you need depends on what you're working on. If possible, a ssd would be optimal for a scratchdisk.

How much storage do you recommend?

How much storage do you recommend?

It depends completely on what you're working on. It can vary anywhere from less than 120GB to over 1TB. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

I am looking for a hard drive that is optimized for video editing. It will have all my videos being edited, it will be my scratch disk, it will be my everything for video production pretty much. I know I need it to be high speed for rpm. But Idk how much storage it will need to be. I think the min MIGHT be 2-3TB, but I still am not sure. Thanks for any recommendations!!!!

Hey there Xtreme Gamer,

I would also go ahead and suggest a SSD for scratch disk and then a massive RAID array for storage and redundancy. WD Black is indeed a great drive with high speeds and long warranty. It should suffice for what you need it to. For RAID I would suggest WD Red drives as they are optimized for such usage. Here are links with more info:

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

What resolution are your videos and what codec quality?

Working on a 720p mobile video and a 4k Red Epic video requires too very different setups.

What resolution are your videos and what codec quality?

Working on a 720p mobile video and a 4k Red Epic video requires too very different setups.

The res will be 1080p video with raw (no, I don't mean the raw format/codec. I mean video recently recorded/captured and not yet edited and exported.) captured video sometimes being higher res than that but still editing down to 1080p. Codec is Always gonna be mp4.

The res will be 1080p video with raw (no, I don't mean the raw format/codec. I mean video recently recorded/captured and not yet edited and exported.) captured video sometimes being higher res than that but still editing down to 1080p. Codec is Always gonna be mp4.

Then I recommend to get an ssd that you store the currently being worked on video files and a WD black to use as a scratch disk.

That way, so dont you have to wait on an hard drive when you work.

Depending on what program you're using, the scratchdisk will have a set location. Check how much space you use up for that and choose a size accordingly.