Burning plastic smell from pc

JamieF

Earlier today I noticed one of my hds were not showing after upgrading to Windows 10 so I opened my computer and checked the power connector and it was unplugged, easy enough. Later I noticed a burning smell coming from the computer. I've never smelt it before but it was very strong. So I shut it off and opened my computer again, I figured it would just be a cable touching something and burning since my cable management is terrible, so I fixed it and closed it up again. That was about an hour ago. I switched it back on and after a while it started smelling of burning again. The smell is coming from inside the case because the smell is coming from the fan pushing air out of the case. But when I touched the back of the psu (outside the case) it felt extremely hot and smelt of burning too. Someone also had a look and said it smells like its coming from the back panel as well as the psu and fan. Time for new power supply?

Specs:

gx 660

550w Fatal1ty psu

26gb ram

2 hds (had 3 but removed one today)

Thanks.

Edit: When I switched it back on after fixing cables temps were normal.

Earlier today I noticed one of my hds were not showing after upgrading to Windows 10 so I opened my computer and checked the power connector and it was unplugged, easy enough. Later I noticed a burning smell coming from the computer. I've never smelt it before but it was very strong. So I shut it off and opened my computer again, I figured it would just be a cable touching something and burning since my cable management is terrible, so I fixed it and closed it up again. That was about an hour ago. I switched it back on and after a while it started smelling of burning again. The smell is coming from inside the case because the smell is coming from the fan pushing air out of the case. But when I touched the back of the psu (outside the case) it felt extremely hot and smelt of burning too. Someone also had a look and said it smells like its coming from the back panel as well as the psu and fan. Time for new power supply?

Specs:

gx 660

550w Fatal1ty psu

26gb ram

Thanks.

probably your psu

Specs:

gx 660

550w Fatal1ty psu

26gb ram

Thanks.

Get a new PSU ASAP, that thing is about to blow

Take out the PSU and plug it in, disconnected from your computer entirely. Turn it on, and if it smells, theres your problem :P

EDIT: Do this insanely quickly and in a safe place. If it is the PSU disconnected it ASAP and get it out of the house.

Yo change that psu As Soon As You Can before your house burns down.DON't TURN YOUR COMPUTER ON WITHOUT PSU CHANGE IM WARNING YOU.

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Or VRMS but less likely cause its intel

Laptop: Thinkpad W520 i7 2720QM 24GB RAM 1920x1080 2x SSDs Main Rig: 4790k 12GB Hyperx Beast Zotac 980ti AMP! Fractal Define S (window) RM850 Noctua NH-D15 EVGA Z97 FTW with 3 1080P 144hz monitors from Asus Secondary: i5 6600K, R9 390 STRIX, 16GB DDR4, Acer Predator 144Hz 1440P

As Centos 7 SU once said: With great power comes great responsibility.

Take out the PSU and plug it in, disconnected from your computer entirely. Turn it on, and if it smells, theres your problem :P

It might explode

Or VRMS but less likely cause its intel

If it's VRMS RIP Computer

But OP said his PSU was burning out

PSU. Had this happen before with a cheap OEM korean PSU....

System: Thinkpad T460

And yeah, be very careful with it and do your best not to inhale ANY fumes. And after you do what I said and it is the PSU, get a new one ASAP and put the old one out in a safe place where if it did start a fire it wouldn't do any damage, or not much at all.

But yeah, probably is the PSU

Thanks for the help :P Any suggestions on new ones? going to be upgrading graphics cards soon.

Thanks for the help :P Any suggestions on new ones? going to be upgrading graphics cards soon.

GS 550/650W would be fine, most of the time it's around the CX price range but has better build quality and higher power efficiently.   

Seasonic or XFX

GS 550/650W would be fine, most of the time it's around the CX price range but has better build quality and higher power efficiently.   

Alright thanks, i'll have a look :)

Quick update, turns out the psu fan had jammed some how and thats where the overheating and burning came from. Gonna buy a new one and send this one back under warranty :)

I have a rule when I build PC's that I feel everyone should follow, Never cheap out on the psu.

The PSU you got isn't too bad though :P Probably just a defective unit

PC Specs: CPU: Intel Core i7 3930K OC @ 4.4 GHz | CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 | Motherboard: ASUS Sabertooth X79 | GPU: 2x SLI Gigabyte GTX 760 | RAM: Mushkin Redline 2x4GB 1866 | Case: Cooler Master HAF X | PSU: SeaSonic X Series 750W | Storage: A-Data XPG 120GB  & WD Blue 1TB | OS: Arch GNU/Linux || PC Part Picker & 3D Mark Score

ASRock Makes PSU'S? Well that would've matched my motherboard.. but it isn't as reliable as my CX600M(I bought refurbished, nothing wrong :D). BUT JUST, IF I HAD THAT ISSUE, I WOULDN'T DARE TURNING MY COMPUTER BACK ON.

BUY

A

NEW

POWER

SUPPLY

PERIOD

I say maybe a 800W psu for upgradability, and depending on how big your GPU upgrade is. I say something like a CS750M psu :D 80+ Gold, modular, and 750 WATTS, and from a good brand :D Mines a CX600M, modular, 80+ Bronze, 600w :D

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

ASRock Makes PSU'S? Well that would've matched my motherboard.. but it isn't as reliable as my CX600M(I bought refurbished, nothing wrong :D). BUT JUST, IF I HAD THAT ISSUE, I WOULDN'T DARE TURNING MY COMPUTER BACK ON.

BUY

A

NEW

POWER

SUPPLY

PERIOD

I say maybe a 800W psu for upgradability, and depending on how big your GPU upgrade is. I say something like a CS750M psu :D 80+ Gold, modular, and 750 WATTS, and from a good brand :D Mines a CX600M, modular, 80+ Bronze, 600w :D

Wouldn't turn your computer on and start playing Battlefield? :D

*I spilt milk all over myp c, after it dried, there was stilla  few sticky spots, yet I still turned it on and played.. you guessed it, BATTLEFIELD.*

Wouldn't turn your computer on and start playing Battlefield? :D

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

*I spilt milk all over myp c, after it dried, there was stilla  few sticky spots, yet I still turned it on and played.. you guessed it, BATTLEFIELD.*

On the case or inside the pc? :P