Will the CX500M be ok with a G1 Gaming 970?

Hey folks,

like the title say, do my psu will be ok with a 970?,

here is the full part list of my pc;

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9MNmzy

right know i have a gigabyte gtx 760, and i will upgrade to a 970,

i ask again, will my psu be ok with this upgrade?,

thanks in advance

EDIT: all this part list i already have it, except the 970

what psu brands do you recommend??

Edited by IlDuceSaint

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

No No No No NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do not buy CX power supply for gaming builds.Get at least the same price EVGA 600B for $34

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

its not a very good power supply but it should do the trick

i would replace it though

No No No No NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO

Do not buy CX power supply for gaming builds.Get at least the same price EVGA 600B for $34

no can do, i already have the corsair cx500m

PC Specs: Case Corsair Vengeance C70 - CPU i7-4770K @3.5Ghz - MOBO Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H - RAM HyperX Fury 2x8GB @1600Mhz - GPU MSI VENTUS RTX 2080 SUPER - HDD Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1TB, Toshiba DT01ACA100 1TB, WD Black 4TB - PSU EVGA 750 G2 - Display Samsung S22C150 - CPU Cooler CM 212 Hyper EVO - Mouse Steelseries Sensei 310 - Current Wattage by pcpartpicker: 387W.

CX series is horrid unless say its a office build that has a i3 in it with no separate graphics card

Insert   Dank   Signature   Here.

Yeah. It's a good PSU. Just has a lot of negativity around it due to one person saying bad stuff about it and everyone caught on to it and jumped on the "anti-cx train". I use a CX600M and had no problems with it for almost a year now.

CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3 GHz       GPU: MSI GTX 980                      Cooling: be quiet! Pure Rock                     OS: Windows 7            Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z

Motherboard: AsRock Z97 PRO4   PSU: Corsair 600W CX600M       Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate   SSD: Intel 120GB 520   Headset: HyperX Cloud II

RAM: 12GB Crucial Ballistix            Case: Corsair 750D                       Mouse: Logitech G502                         HDD: Seagate 1TB        Speakers: Audioengine A5+

Yeah. It's a good PSU. Just has a lot of negativity around it due to one person saying bad stuff about it and everyone caught on to it and jumped on the "anti-cx train". I use a CX600M and had no problems with it for almost a year now.

Just be cause you didn't have a problem doesn't mean that it's still a shit PSU for high-end rigs.

The build will use a little less than 500W under max load, and pushing a CX series PSU this much isn't recommended, get a new PSU, the EVGA SuperNova 650 G2 or GS are fine PSUs, and an R9 390. The 390 performs better than the 970 and has more VRAM while being similarly priced.

Hey folks,

like the title say, do my psu will be ok with a 970?,

here is the full part list of my pc;

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9MNmzy

right know i have a gigabyte gtx 760, and i will upgrade to a 970,

i ask again, will my psu be ok with this upgrade?,

thanks in advance

EDIT: all this part list i already have it, except the 970

what psu brands do you recommend??

I would highly recommend not doing so. It's a cheap PSU for builds with no GPU or a very low power one at that with no overclocking set in mind.

If you're recommending PSUs because theyr'e "fine because you've owned them one year without problems" then you're in the wrong subforum.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

Just be cause you didn't have a problem doesn't mean that it's still a shit PSU for high-end rigs.

The build will use a little less than 500W under max load, and pushing a CX series PSU this much isn't recommended, get a new PSU, the EVGA SuperNova 650 G2 or GS are fine PSUs, and an R9 390. The 390 performs better than the 970 and has more VRAM while being similarly priced.

It'll actually hit about 270W under load but nonetheless your first point is right.

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

If you keep your PC relatively cool, you can keep the CX for the short run until you get a good PSU.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

It'll actually hit about 270W under load but nonetheless your first point is right.

The GTX 970 uses over 300W at max load, but let us round it to 300W and add to that 154W for the CPU and mobo, that's if the CPU isn't overclocked, he'll easily be reaching 454W.... on a damn CX500. He needs to get a bigger PSU if he's aiming at this pricepoint, and if he gets a 650W PSU, he won't have any reason to get the less performing card that is the GTX 970.

If you keep your PC relatively cool, you can keep the CX for the short run until you get a good PSU.

It's hard to keep temps inside the case at 30 degrees, especially with a high-end card such as the GTX 970.

It's hard to keep temps inside the case at 30 degrees, especially with a high-end card such as the GTX 970.

It should be fine if there are no AMD GPUs, and if there's no overclock. I've had two mid (ish) -range gaming builds that used CX PSUs and they are fine. So I'm either lucky, or CX PSUs aren't that bad.

CPU: Intel i5 3550           | Cooler: Corsair A50          | Motherboard: Asus P8Z77      | Storage: Crucial MX200 250GB |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8GB   | GPU: GTX 1650                | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)  | PSU: EVGA 650W G2            |

well, i live in mexico, and im going to buy a 970 for phantom pain v promo, i can only afford less than 400dollars gpus, i will upgrade my psu, which other psu do you recommend?

EDIT: if you are interested how i can only afford 400dollars, and why, i have a scholarship in my college, and thats how i can buy that gpu, and thats why i cant go higher, and for the metal gear promo, im more in nvidia side

well, i live in mexico, and im going to buy a 970 for phantom pain v promo, i can only afford less than 400dollars gpus, i will upgrade my psu, which other psu do you recommend?

I'd use the PSU briefly without putting any major stress on your system for prolonged periods of time (dat 30C ambient temp tolerance tho) and then get a nice PSU when you can :)

The GTX 970 uses over 300W at max load, but let us round it to 300W and add to that 154W for the CPU and mobo, that's if the CPU isn't overclocked, he'll easily be reaching 454W.... on a damn CX500. He needs to get a bigger PSU if he's aiming at this pricepoint, and if he gets a 650W PSU, he won't have any reason to get the less performing card that is the GTX 970.

That is not at all true...

A GTX 970 uses maybe 125 watts under load... This is a whole system.

power_maximum.gif

power_maximum.gif

On the Anandtech GPU bench, they said the GTX 970 uses 300W under load while running FurMark (or was it Crysis 3).

It should be fine if there are no AMD GPUs, and if there's no overclock. I've had two mid (ish) -range gaming builds that used CX PSUs and they are fine. So I'm either lucky, or CX PSUs aren't that bad.

You're lucky, and it's not just AMD cards that run hot, Nvidia cards run just slightly less hot, unless there's something like the GTX 960 or R9 380 in the rig, the temps will be at least 30 degrees.

On the Anandtech GPU bench, they said the GTX 970 uses 300W under load while running FurMark (or was it Crysis 3).

And he will be more than fine on 500W.

Ugh, unearth him from his cave, bring out @Aniallation...

And he will be more than fine on 500W.

Ugh, unearth him from his cave, bring out @Aniallation...

For a short time he will, yeah, he just shouldn't stress the system until he gets a new PSU.

EDIT: if you are interested how i can only afford 400dollars, and why, i have a scholarship in my college, and thats how i can buy that gpu, and thats why i cant go higher, and for the metal gear promo, im more in nvidia side

The MGSV promo does make the GTX 970 more appealing if you're interested in the game, that should save you 60 bucks. As for the PSU, you can't go wrong with a EVGA SuperNova 650 G2.

It clearly says "card power consumption" lol

"Rawr XD"

For a short time he will, yeah, he just shouldn't stress the system until he gets a new PSU.

Eh, if my 7 year old Antec 550 can handle a G1 970 overclocked and perfectly fine during stress testing, a new CX500M can handle it for the time being

"Rawr XD"

It clearly says "card power consumption" lol

My point still stands that a 970 does not use 300w of power on it's own in any circumstance....