Paint my GPU PCB's

stoka

I decided I was going to do some custom work on my pc when building my second rig, I had a limited budget and could not really find a case I wanted but I went with the NZXT H440. I was going to get a GPU upgrade from my pair of GTX 660's too but could not quite afford a Gigabyte G1 GTX 970 decided to save to money for a 980. Not getting a new GPU has made me have to tackle the main problem the old ones.  The Gigabyte wind force edition of the 660 does not have any back plates that fit it, to cover up the horrid blue PCB's because of the short PCB but a cooler overhang making normal back plates useless. So I decide I was going to paint the PCB's with plastidip as the first mod instead of the more challenging case mods that I want to do involving cutting and painting.

post-37500-0-78467700-1438305095_thumb.j

As you can see the PCB's really stick out compared to the rest of the build.

I did not really know how plastidip would react to the different surfaces of a GPU's PCB. I found a dead GPU out of the draw and decide to test it on that.

post-37500-0-11711900-1438305114_thumb.j

This was after one coat and it worked better than expected do I headed off to Wickes (A chain of hardware stores for all of you outside the UK) to get some masking tape.

[post-37500-0-18664500-1438305129_thumb.j

Taking the cards out confirmed how much I hated that blue

post-37500-0-06642800-1438305150_thumb.j

Removing the cooler made it worse but just need to mask this side as it won’t be visable in the build.

post-37500-0-28220500-1438305167_thumb.j

After a quick masking to stop any overspray getting on the sensitive parts of the card and a bit of carful masking on the back on hot stuff like the ram chips.

post-37500-0-10954300-1438305183_thumb.j

Let’s break out the paint

post-37500-0-33818000-1438305195_thumb.j

First coat on

post-37500-0-02414500-1438305208_thumb.j

After 4 coats, looking really good

post-37500-0-17322800-1438305221_thumb.j

Got a bit impatient with the drying and stuck the cooler on after an hour to clean up the desk so I can carry on gaming on the unpainted GPU until tomorrow when its fully dried and I can get it installed and see if it still works.

post-37500-0-08163700-1438305234_thumb.j

it got darker as it dried and looks really good next to the other one and it still work fine could not see any difference is temps on the core but the back off the card using a thermal probe was about 3 to 4 degrees hotter on average.

post-37500-0-96658300-1438305246_thumb.j

Got the second one masked up

post-37500-0-39788500-1438305259_thumb.j

Getting the cooler cleaned up

post-37500-0-18018800-1438305274_thumb.j

Overall I am very pleased with the results of my first mod, the keen eyed ones of you out there will have noticed the extra SSD and RAM I put in during this mod as well. Next up getting better airflow through this case.

Oh if anyone was wandering the specs are

FX-8350 @ 4.8 Ghz

Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3

16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1866 Mhz

2x Gigabyte GTX 660 Wind force

2x Corsair Force LS 120 Gb SSD's in Raid 0

2 Tb Seagate barracuda

Antec HCF 900W

NZXT H440

Corsair H100i

Fans Corsair SP or AF all round

< Edit >  I did this about a mouth ago and no problems as off yet and no diffrent on the temps.

i am suprised as hell that it worked.

Join da discord 

Spoiler

(Intel Core i5 4590 - XFX R9 280 - ASUS z97-A USB 3.1 - EVGA SuperNOVA 750B - 16GB EVGA DDR3-EDITION - NZXT H440 -

WD BLACK 1TB - OZC ARC 100 240gb)

#locked(ง ͠° ͟ل͜ ͡°)ง

turned out rather nice.

"The of and to a in is I that it for you was with on as have but be they"

Thank god they are just 660's and not like a 980ti.

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

Thank god they are just 660's and not like a 980ti.

I dont see a problem regardless of what the card is so long as it turned out fine, and even if it didnt you can take plastidip off so if the card breaks you just need to take the dip off and send it in.

I dont see a problem regardless of what the card is so long as it turned out fine, and even if it didnt you can take plastidip off so if the card breaks you just need to take the dip off and send it in.

I mean if I were to do this on my graphics card and fucked up, I'd be pretty damn upset because I ruined a card that was $600 and usually goes for $1000

Born too early to explore the galaxy, born too late to explore the seas, born just in time to make memes.

I mean if I were to do this on my graphics card and fucked up, I'd be pretty damn upset because I ruined a card worth about $1000.

RMA is a thing

Ye i managed to peel all the plastidip off the dead card i tried first so if I did fuck up, I could just RMA and Gigabyte would not know that i had them painted at one point.

RMA is a thing

It's a pain in the ass as well.

It's a pain in the ass as well.

Well when you cannot afford anything else you may as well make what you have a little be more pleasing to the eye

Well when you cannot afford anything else you may as well make what you have a little be more pleasing to the eye

Thats true. Not saying this was a bad thing to do, just saying you could've ran the risk of destroying the cards.

Thats true. Not saying this was a bad thing to do, just saying you could've ran the risk of destroying the cards.

It's no more potentially destructive than running a custom bios on your GPU and obviously anyone who would do this to hardware that they couldn't afford to replace would weigh the risks of doing it and decide whether or not it was worth the chance of bricking a card. That being said the chance that plastidip would hurt the card is minimal at best.

It's no more potentially destructive than running a custom bios on your GPU and obviously anyone who would do this to hardware that they couldn't afford to replace would weigh the risks of doing it and decide whether or not it was worth the chance of bricking a card. That being said the chance that plastidip would hurt the card is minimal at best.

I don't even know how people do that to their GPUs.

I don't even know how people do that to their GPUs.

Do what, run a custom bios? There are many reasons to do it, mainly for overclocking reasons or for fixing minimum fan speeds. It's the same as people who delid their CPU's, they think the gain is worth the risk or they have enough money where it doesn't matter if they fuck it up. That being said doing something as mundane as plastidipping the back of a GPU is nowhere near as dangerous as flashing a bios or delidding a CPU. If he decided to actually use real paint and not plastidip then it would be a SERIOUS risk but not with plastidip.

Do what, run a custom bios? There are many reasons to do it, mainly for overclocking reasons or for fixing minimum fan speeds. It's the same as people who delid their CPU's, they think the gain is worth the risk or they have enough money where it doesn't matter if they fuck it up. That being said doing something as mundane as plastidipping the back of a GPU is nowhere near as dangerous as flashing a bios or delidding a CPU. If he decided to actually use real paint and not plastidip then it would be a SERIOUS risk but not with plastidip.

People can put a custom bios on their graphics cards and shit, meanwhile im here without access to my own BIOS. thanks MSI.

There is a safer, and more sexy route, it is called a damn backplate.

"In the middle of every difficulty lies opportunity."
- Albert Einstein

It'd still have a bit of the blue PCB showing, and this is more fun and cheaper.

As I said there is not a back plate that fits the wind force 660 as the cooler overhangs the back of the PCB and a back plate who cover that up.

HOW THE ACTUAL HECK DID THAT NOT FRY IT.

MOTHERBOARD: some Asus motherboard CPU: I3-4130 GPU: Gigabyte(?) GT-1030 RAM: 8GB G.SKILL SNIPER 1600MHZ RAM + 4GB AMD ram PSU: Corsair CX450 CASE: Corsair Spec-03 OS: Win 10 64 bit Keyboard: Logitech G510s Mouse: Corsair G300s Camera: Canon EOS Rebel T5
I like outdoor warning sirens. Ask me anything about them.

People seem to not be reading that he used plastic dip.. Paint which is basically a plastic coating.. There is no risk to the PCB using that stuff.. It's not the same as paint. Anyways it's looks good.

Anyone worried he would danger pcb google plastic dip spray paint read about it.

• 9 months later...