Windows 10 Dual OS!?!

ItsShibby

So i installed Windows 10 early and i used to have Windows 8.1. After the upgrade i found out that it wasn't a fresh install and it kept all my old files on my SSD under file name "Windows.old". So i still have Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. i don't need both because my old windows is taking up 130gb on my ssd. is there anyways to just do a clean install and wipe everything?

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32 GB GPU: MSI GTX 980 TI Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Cooling: Custom EKWB Loop Display: Asus PB287Q 4K, Asus ROG PG348Q Ultrawide Sound: Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 Uber Headphones: Sennheiser HD 6XX

So i installed Windows 10 early and i used to have Windows 8.1. After the upgrade i found out that it wasn't a fresh install and it kept all my old files on my SSD under file name "Windows.old". So i still have Windows 8.1 and Windows 10. i don't need both because my old windows is taking up 130gb on my ssd. is there anyways to just do a clean install and wipe everything?

You can clean install via iso

or just delete windows.old

Deleting windows.old will do the trick, it's mostly just there so you can revert or at least recover your data if something goes horribly wrong.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

You can clean install via iso

or just delete windows.old

will i need to enter a product key if i do a clean install?

CPU: Intel i7 5820k @ 4.5Ghz Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe Ram: Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4 32 GB GPU: MSI GTX 980 TI Case: Corsair Graphite 780T

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 512 GB PSU: Corsair HX 850i Cooling: Custom EKWB Loop Display: Asus PB287Q 4K, Asus ROG PG348Q Ultrawide Sound: Schiit Magni 3 and Modi 2 Uber Headphones: Sennheiser HD 6XX

WAIT DON'T LISTEN TO EVERYONE! IF YOU DO DISC CLEANUP IT DISABLES YOUR CHANCE OF GOING BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS 8.1 OS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG. 

MAKE SURE THAT IS WHAT YOU WANT

will i need to enter a product key if i do a clean install?

just hit skip, and it should auto activate 

WAIT DON'T LISTEN TO EVERYONE! IF YOU DO DISC CLEANUP IT DISABLES YOUR CHANCE OF GOING BACK TO YOUR WINDOWS 8.1 OS IF SOMETHING GOES WRONG. 

no shit

you can always reinstall 8.1

THERE IS NO TURNING BACK NOW!!!!

If you want to do a full clean install, then run this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

You'll need a USB Stick (Preferably 8GB or larger).

Otherwise you can run CCleaner, and make sure to check "old windows folders" or whatever it's called.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

you mean to say if i delete something my chances of getting it back are gone?

witchcraft I say

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

Otherwise you can run CCleaner, and make sure to check "old windows folders" or whatever it's called.

i just tried using this just now and it gave me an error when i tried to set up my USB. do i need to format my USB in anyway?

i just tried using this just now and it gave me an error when i tried to set up my USB. do i need to format my USB in anyway?

It should format the USB stick for you. But you could try formatting it as FAT32 yourself to see if that helps.

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

SNIP

Not that easy for people who don't understand, no need to be a prick.

no shit

you can always reinstall 8.1

Oh yeah, I forgot you could go straight back to your operating system exactly the way it was before Windows 10.

/s

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/configure-a-usb-flash-drive-to-be-a-windows-7-installation-platform/

Personal Rig v3: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X | Noctua NH-U14S | Gigabyte B450 Aorus Pro ITX | Zotac GTX 2070 8GB | 16GB G-Skill Trident DDR4 3200MHz | EVGA Supernova 750B | Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 

Peripherals: Sennheiser HD518 & Classic ModMic | Corsair K65 Luxe | Zowie EC2 | ASUS VG259QM  |  ASUS VG278E | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1

worked fine on a 3.5gb stick. 

Not that easy for people who don't understand, no need to be a prick.

Oh yeah, I forgot you could go straight back to your operating system exactly the way it was before Windows 10.

/s

Well, to be clear, whenever doing ANY SORT OF UPGRADE, you should ALWAYS have a complete backup of all important files, documents, settings, etc.

Preferably in the form of a disk Image that you can then just drop back onto the HDD.

Upgrades can go wrong. Even the rollback can fail, and you could lose all your data. Always have backups.

Well, to be clear, whenever doing ANY SORT OF UPGRADE, you should ALWAYS have a complete backup of all important files, documents, settings, etc.

Preferably in the form of a disk Image that you can then just drop back onto the HDD.

Upgrades can go wrong. Even the rollback can fail, and you could lose all your data. Always have backups.

Why when during the Windows 10 upgrade, it backs it all up for you..

i can't afford the space or buying extra space.

i had nothing useful to back up anyways it was all benchmarking tools and games that i used for benchmarks... thats why i wanted to just get a clean install

Why when during the Windows 10 upgrade, it backs it all up for you..

i can't afford the space or buying extra space.

Windows is backing it up on the same HDD, which means, it isn't backing it up. Also, the backup process can fail. The rollback process can fail, corrupting the backup.

If you cannot afford to buy an external HDD or large USB stick to do backups (Or hell, even cloud backups to Google Drive or OneDrive), then you really can't afford to use a computer - unless of course you never ever store any important information on your PC that you can't afford to lose.

I'm not trying to be an ass, arrogant, or a dick. But seriously, backing up your PC is the single most important thing a user can do, if they store any important data on their PC. If you can't afford to buy an external HDD, then I highly recommend saving up, and buying one ASAP. What are you gonna do if your HDD/SSD dies on you, or you get a virus that fucks your system, or a bad Update corrupts the OS?

i had nothing useful to back up anyways it was all benchmarking tools and games that i used for benchmarks... thats why i wanted to just get a clean install

Yeah I wasn't referring to you :P If you don't care about losing anything, then there's no risk.

It should format the USB stick for you. But you could try formatting it as FAT32 yourself to see if that helps.

all i get is an error that says "Something Happened" "Something Happened" "Close" its so helpful....

all i get is an error that says "Something Happened" "Something Happened" "Close" its so helpful....

Don't know what to tell you. The OS itself could have issues. Or the utility could be buggy - it was just released recently after all.