What Graphics Card: GTX 970 or R9 390?

Go to solution Solved by Zayzo,

I feel like this has been asked before

philosoraptor-meme-generator-where-have-

Hello Forum,

So I currently have the Gigabyte GTX 760 because i bought the card back when i only played league of legends and World of warcraft and now that i started to play some GTA V and Battlefield i decided i want to get a better graphics card and i set my limit at around 350 euro and 400 being the absolute maximum. I did some research and finally got to my 2 final choices being the GTX 970 and the R9 390. And if I were to chose one of these which brand would be the best, for example i heard that EVGA makes the best GTX 970's. So again to recap,  I want a card than can over clock and stay at relatively cool temperatures, id like to have it as silent as possible (i do understand that both is not possible) and i wanted to add that I am playing at 1080p at the moment but might start gaming at 1440p and which of the both is better for the future as in next gen. games. So cool, performance, silent, and over clocking for 1080-1440p.

This my first post, thank you :)

GTX 970 and R9 390 trade blows at 1080p and on higher resolutions R9 390 wins most of the time. I would say go for R9 390 as it also has a lot more VRAM which may help a lot in future. They cost around the same (R9 390 is usualy cheaper).

Definitely avoid ASUS if you will go for AMD cards they have really bad coolers compared to competition. You cant go wrong with Sapphire, MSI. Gigabyte is decent too.

Hello Forum,

So I currently have the Gigabyte GTX 760 because i bought the card back when i only played league of legends and World of warcraft and now that i started to play some GTA V and Battlefield i decided i want to get a better graphics card and i set my limit at around 350 euro and 400 being the absolute maximum. I did some research and finally got to my 2 final choices being the GTX 970 and the R9 390. And if I were to chose one of these which brand would be the best, for example i heard that EVGA makes the best GTX 970's. So again to recap,  I want a card than can over clock and stay at relatively cool temperatures, id like to have it as silent as possible (i do understand that both is not possible) and i wanted to add that I am playing at 1080p at the moment but might start gaming at 1440p and which of the both is better for the future as in next gen. games. So to recap best cool, performance, silent, and over clocking for 1080-1440p.

If your plan is to get a 1440p monitor, get the 390(x). For that i'd suggest the Sapphire model of it.

While EVGA makes remarkable cards, they are not the best, the G1 Gaming from gigabyte is the best 970 model on the market.

If you go with the R9 390, avoid Asus R9 390s, they have some meh cooler. Instead opt for Sapphire, MSI, or Gigabyte. In that order of preference.

Intel Core i7-5820K (4.4 GHz) | Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB  | 2x 360mm Custom Loop (Noctua iPPC) | ASRock X99 Extreme6 | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB | Fractal Design Define S | Corsair HX750 | Windows 10 | Corsair M65 RGB PRO | Corsair K70 RGB LUX (CherryMX Brown) | Beyerdynamic Custom One Pro & Creative Sound Blaster Z | Nexus 6P (32GB Aluminium) | Check out my setup: Project Kalte Here!

R9 390 I have it, its a beast and I got it £20 cheaper than a 970 which trades blows + extra vram

Hello Forum,

So I currently have the Gigabyte GTX 760 because i bought the card back when i only played league of legends and World of warcraft and now that i started to play some GTA V and Battlefield i decided i want to get a better graphics card and i set my limit at around 350 euro and 400 being the absolute maximum. I did some research and finally got to my 2 final choices being the GTX 970 and the R9 390. And if I were to chose one of these which brand would be the best, for example i heard that EVGA makes the best GTX 970's. So again to recap,  I want a card than can over clock and stay at relatively cool temperatures, id like to have it as silent as possible (i do understand that both is not possible) and i wanted to add that I am playing at 1080p at the moment but might start gaming at 1440p and which of the both is better for the future as in next gen. games. So cool, performance, silent, and over clocking for 1080-1440p.

gtx 970: (for nvidia driver support, ocing and 1080p)

r9 390: (for multiple card setup, and 1440p and above)

<p>Wish I could have this already!! : http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qTLRjX

If you go with the R9 390, avoid Asus R9 390s, they have some meh cooler. Instead opt for Sapphire, MSI, or Gigabyte. In that order of preference.

This^

Thanks guys, and is there big difference between the R9 390 and the R9 390X?

Nope not at all think it performs 5-6 fps better not worth the extra hundred

R9 390x performs better, but personally I think it isn't enough performance to justify the extra $100.

But yes, get the R9 390 over the 970, hands down.