Yes, Again: R9 270 vs 750 ti - Best Value

WLockIV
Go to solution Solved by WLockIV,

I actually took a leap of faith and bought a used R9 270 for $100 off craigslist. There is very little dust on the card, and it's been placed in all of the original packaging. Even the little stoppers for the display outputs are there, too. I trusted it because he was willing to meet at his workplace, lol. So I know where he works!!! But srsly I won't know if it works or not 'til I get my mobo, ssd, and ramn which should be this month. I'm debating exchanging the psu that I bought for a more powerful one for overclocking, but we shall see. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the tips!

Obviously the R9 270 is more powerful than the 750 ti -- common knowledge. BUT, some are saying that the 270 is CHEAPER than the 750 ti in comments/articles posted as recent as one month ago. In my shopping, the only times I see the 750 ti being more expensive is in higher-end non-reference cards. Am I just looking in the wrong place???  I would love to hop on this cheaper-270-for-better-performance-than-the-750ti wagon but I can't seem to determine if it exists.

270's have generally risen in price recently. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

R9 270(x) is about €20-€25 (starts at €150) more expensive in here over the GTX 750ti (starts at €125 for the 2GB version and €110 for the 1GB version) but I would say the performance increase is high enough to be worth to pay this little extra for it if you have the money.

Might as well spend some extra money and get a 960 or a r9 280x..

And you might as well spend some extra money and get a 390 or a 970, then you might as well spend more money for a 390X or a 980, after second thought, you might spend some more and get a Fury X or a 980 Ti.

And you might as well spend some extra money and get a 390 or a 970, then you might as well spend more money for a 390X or a 980, after second thought, you might spend some more and get a Fury X or a 980 Ti.

Considering the fact that the guy wants to spend money on a r9 270x. It's better if just invest a few more bucks into a r9 280x for 1080p gaming. It's twice as more stream processors and more vram. What the cheapest r9 280x is like 200-220? That's only a few bucks to consider. Also take into account the power supply and amount of watts he needs. Using a r9 280x would probably be around 230 watts. Using a 390 or even a r390 would be around 270-300 watts on full load. 

Considering the fact that the guy wants to spend money on a r9 270x. It's better if just invest a few more bucks into a r9 280x for 1080p gaming. It's twice as more stream processors and more vram. What the cheapest r9 280x is like 200-220? That's only a few bucks to consider. Also take into account the power supply and amount of watts he needs. Using a r9 280x would probably be around 230 watts. Using a 390 or even a r390 would be around 270-300 watts on full load.

There's a 280X for 180$. But I was just saying that telling someone to spend considerably more to get a better card isn't a good idea.

Thanks for all the tech advice love. I'm really just looking for bang-for-buck atm. I'm building a mini-itx htpc using a 450w psu and an i3 cpu, and an MSI H81I mobo. I think in this case an nvidia card would allow for more overclockability because of their lower power consumption and cooler operating temps (not to mention drivers and nvidia experience), but I'm not 100% sure that I want to overclock my card yet, or even if the mobo will handle it. The H81I has OC Genie on it, and I've read an article where it was used to overclock a cpu, but it's still only a $65 mobo so I'm not getting my hopes up too high... Either way this is my first build, so I'm keeping an open mind.

Thanks for all the tech advice love. I'm really just looking for bang-for-buck atm. I'm building a mini-itx htpc using a 450w psu and an i3 cpu, and an MSI H81I mobo. I think in this case an nvidia card would allow for more overclockability because of their lower power consumption and cooler operating temps (not to mention drivers and nvidia experience), but I'm not 100% sure that I want to overclock my card yet, or even if the mobo will handle it.

You will not match even the stock 270 or 270x regardless of how hard you overclock the 750ti. Let alone an overclocked AMD card. Also AMD windows drivers are as good, don't believe the outdated myths. There's a difference between 'bang for buck' and 'cheapest'.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/1130?vs=1043

Thanks for all the tech advice love. I'm really just looking for bang-for-buck atm. I'm building a mini-itx htpc using a 450w psu and an i3 cpu, and an MSI H81I mobo. I think in this case an nvidia card would allow for more overclockability because of their lower power consumption and cooler operating temps (not to mention drivers and nvidia experience), but I'm not 100% sure that I want to overclock my card yet, or even if the mobo will handle it. The H81I has OC Genie on it, and I've read an article where it was used to overclock a cpu, but it's still only a $65 mobo so I'm not getting my hopes up too high... Either way this is my first build, so I'm keeping an open mind.

it was probably used to OC the Pentium G3258. it will NOT overclock an i5/i7.

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

straight up, you could overclock your 750ti balls to the wall and not come close to the 270/270x.  One tip, look on pcpartpicker.com and you can easily find like 600W power supplies for the same price as a 450 and it gives you overclock room (as you stated you would like to try).  And I personally owned the msi 270x and that thing played battlefield on ultra like butter when overclocked.  The 750ti is not worth it as a budget card anymore as the price of much stronger amd cards have started to fall into its range, or you could easily pick up an r9 280 for like $150-160 with all the sales on them.  I see why you would consider the 750ti but I urge you to look beyond that, maybe just $20, even check refurbished and you could have a ton more 'bang for your buck'

• CPU: Fx-8350 || Mobo: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 Rev 4.0 || Ram: GSkill Ripjaws 16GB (2x8GB) || GPU: Sapphire Tri-X OC r9 290 || Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro || Storage: Seagate 1TB (Main Storage), Samsung 840 Pro 120GB SSD (OS), Seagate 1TB external (backups/Media) || PSU: Raidmax 730 Watt || Displays: 2x 2x Acer 21.5" S220HQL || Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow Ultimate || Mouse: Mad Catz R.A.T. 7

•  

it was probably used to OC the Pentium G3258. it will NOT overclock an i5/i7.

You're 100% correct. I don't plan on OCing the CPU at all since I'm going for an i3. If the mobo will OC the GPU then I'll go that route. Otherwise, I'll just have to be happy until I'm ready to drop some more money on a decent mobo. 

straight up, you could overclock your 750ti balls to the wall and not come close to the 270/270x.  One tip, look on pcpartpicker.com and you can easily find like 600W power supplies for the same price as a 450 and it gives you overclock room (as you stated you would like to try).  And I personally owned the msi 270x and that thing played battlefield on ultra like butter when overclocked.  The 750ti is not worth it as a budget card anymore as the price of much stronger amd cards have started to fall into its range, or you could easily pick up an r9 280 for like $150-160 with all the sales on them.  I see why you would consider the 750ti but I urge you to look beyond that, maybe just $20, even check refurbished and you could have a ton more 'bang for your buck'

I gotcha. I'll def start shopping for those. Right now I have a good amount of room already even with the 450w psu. My build is only siting at about 180w as it is right now, so I haven't even tickled the peak of the psu's efficiency curve. Build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qXhX7P.

If the mobo will OC the GPU then I'll go that route. 

Oc'ing the gpu isn't reliant on the motherboard. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Oc'ing the gpu isn't reliant on the motherboard. 

Well kickass then lol

You're 100% correct. I don't plan on OCing the CPU at all since I'm going for an i3. If the mobo will OC the GPU then I'll go that route. Otherwise, I'll just have to be happy until I'm ready to drop some more money on a decent mobo. 

I gotcha. I'll def start shopping for those. Right now I have a good amount of room already even with the 450w psu. My build is only siting at about 180w as it is right now, so I haven't even tickled the peak of the psu's efficiency curve. Build here: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/qXhX7P.

Nevermind the R9 270 sucks wayyyyy more power than the 750 ti.... I'm gonna need a bigger PSU!

Nevermind the R9 270 sucks wayyyyy more power than the 750 ti.... I'm gonna need a bigger PSU!

My 970 uses more power than a 270, and total system draw is at around 350-400w. So long as the psu isn't crap our old then 450 is fine for a 270. With just one 6 pin power connector, the card can't draw that much more power than it already does

My rig:
CPU: i5 4690k 24/7 @4.4ghz (1.165v) Max 4.7ghz (1.325v) COOLER: NZXT Kraken X61 MOBO: Asus Z97-A   RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical   GPU: EVGA GTX 970 SSC   PSU: EVGA GS 650W   CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB + WD Black 2TB

I actually took a leap of faith and bought a used R9 270 for $100 off craigslist. There is very little dust on the card, and it's been placed in all of the original packaging. Even the little stoppers for the display outputs are there, too. I trusted it because he was willing to meet at his workplace, lol. So I know where he works!!! But srsly I won't know if it works or not 'til I get my mobo, ssd, and ramn which should be this month. I'm debating exchanging the psu that I bought for a more powerful one for overclocking, but we shall see. Wish me luck! Thanks for all the tips!