Audio Upgrade

MartyK

Hey Dudes,

I'm trying to figure out what to do and I've been reading loads of this forum and various other audiophile related forums and admittedly watch some of the youtube "experts"  just to get an idea of different people's opinions of kit etc,

My current set up is;

Xonar D2X (Had to buy a soundcard as my overclock causes interference through headphones and mic)

G4ME Zero

I pretty much bought the G4ME Zero last week for just over £100, I wasn't really sure if I wanted them but it was a good price so pulled the trigger. Now i've had them and used them for about 10 hours I'm not to sure. 

They drive pretty well from the Xonar no issues, but I had to piss around with the EQ to get some bass into them, and even now they still seem a little... distant?

Also the cable noise (microphonics?) is bugging me a bit when I am just listening to background noise which I realise is a symptom of closed back headphones.

So to sum up.

I might return the Zero's but I used to have a pair of PC330's which I enjoyed the bass and sound from.

I basically game in stereo (hence headset) and listen to Spotify at the same time, I like the idea of spending money on a nice DAC and AMP, ModMic and some decent studio headphones and reclaim the PCI-E slot

But realistically am I even going to notice, perhaps I should just return them and get the G4ME One thats on Massdrop, or a Hyper Cloud2 and maybe a different mic? (prefer side not in front of mouth)

My budgets pretty good if its worth spending the money, but if you guys think I wont benefit realistically not point blowing the budget.

I don't mind spending a bit of cash to get something I might like, similar sound to the PC330, and the DAC/AMP, but at the same flip side I don't want to spend £350 odd on a pair of headphones only, plus I need a MIC input as the onboard won't work.

Mic input requirement limits your options mostly to a sound card.

For headphones, the 32 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is under $200 right now.

Mic input requirement limits your options mostly to a sound card.

For headphones, the 32 ohm Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro is under $200 right now.

Yeah the mic bit suck balls, I do have a MBox2 so I guess in theory I could use the XLR input on that and a do a XLR to 3.5 Jack and a female to female adaptor, although sounds messy and not sure if it'd work

Yeah the mic bit suck balls, I do have a MBox2 so I guess in theory I could use the XLR input on that and a do a XLR to 3.5 Jack and a female to female adaptor, although sounds messy and not sure if it'd work

The mic probably wouldn't work unfortunately, unless it is meant to operate with phantom power.

Newegg has these on sale for real cheap. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=8012741&SID=4c4392db13e9442483dd527bf58d4cc6&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16826138190&cm_sp= with coupon code  EMCAVPA85

I personally don't know how well they are, but use the Fidelio X2's and couldn't be more than happy. Real good headphones. 

Ahh good point SSL

Maybe I should just love with the soundcard until I upgrade my CPU and Mobo.

Picky, that link does resolve for me for some reason.

Newegg has these on sale for real cheap. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?sdtid=8012741&SID=4c4392db13e9442483dd527bf58d4cc6&AID=10440897&PID=1225267&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-cables-_-na-_-na&Item=N82E16826138190&cm_sp= with coupon code  EMCAVPA85

I personally don't know how well they are, but use the Fidelio X2's and couldn't be more than happy. Real good headphones. 

A good headphone, but not much bass.