How to Find Your Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 Product Key Within Windows

Are you looking for your Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 product key?

[spoiler=Use the following script below within Windows itself:]

Set WshShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
MsgBox ConvertToKey(WshShell.RegRead("HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\DigitalProductId"))

Function ConvertToKey(Key)
Const KeyOffset = 52
i = 28
Chars = "BCDFGHJKMPQRTVWXY2346789"
Do
Cur = 0
x = 14
Do
Cur = Cur * 256
Cur = Key(x + KeyOffset) + Cur
Key(x + KeyOffset) = (Cur \ 24) And 255
Cur = Cur Mod 24
x = x -1
Loop While x >= 0
i = i -1
KeyOutput = Mid(Chars, Cur + 1, 1) & KeyOutput
If (((29 - i) Mod 6) = 0) And (i <> -1) Then
i = i -1
KeyOutput = "-" & KeyOutput
End If
Loop While i >= 0
ConvertToKey = KeyOutput
End Function

1. Copy and paste the script above into a newly created NotePad file
  2. Click File > Save As > Desktop > File name: productkey.vbs > Save as type: All Files > Save
  3. If you saved the file to your desktop, open the file. Your product key should appear.
  4. Use CTRL + C to copy the product key to the clipboard

Like and share with your friends!

Check out my other helpful guides below:
CPU Overclocking Guide: Intel Haswell & Haswell-Refresh CPU Overclocking Guide
GPU Overclocking Guide: NVIDIA & AMD Graphics Card Overclocking Guide

BigDay

Everyone has the same product key, a generic one Microsoft gives out for people that upgraded.  You don't need a product key to reformat

1. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter your product key. The product key should be in a purchase confirmation email if you bought Windows 10. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Note
    • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer

Everyone has the same product key, a generic one Microsoft gives out for people that upgraded.  You don't need a product key to reformat

1. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter your product key. The product key should be in a purchase confirmation email if you bought Windows 10. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Note
    • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer

They must assign you a unique product key once the install has been completed though, correct? Because I have a product key that showed up.

BigDay

They must assign you a product key once the install has been completed though, correct? Because I have a product key that showed up.

They do, but it is generic and doesn't work if you try typing it in during the Windows 10 install IIRC, needs more testing.  But you also don't need to enter one if you already upgraded as stated on the ISO tool instructions.

Are any of these your keys?  These appear to be the various generic keys that get assigned by Microsoft when you upgrade.  I grabbed them from this post

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/418531-question-for-windows-10-users-upgrade/?p=5626579

• Windows 10 Home build 10240 - TX9XD-98N7V-6WMQ6-BX7FG-H8Q99 and YTMG3-N6DKC-DKB77-7M9GH-8HVX7
  • Windows 10 Home SL - BT79Q-G7N6G-PGBYW-4YWX6-6F4BT
  • Windows 10 Pro build 10240 - VK7JG-NPHTM-C97JM-9MPGT-3V66T
  • Windows 10 Enterprise build 10240 - NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43
  • Also keys ending in: 6MT6Y and T83GX

They do, but it is generic and doesn't work if you try typing it in during the Windows 10 install IIRC, needs more testing.  But you also don't need to enter one if you already upgraded as stated on the ISO tool instructions

When I tried to enter my Windows 7 product key during the Windows 10 install, it said my key was invalid. I skipped this step and was able to install Windows 10 without issue

What happens if I want to reinstall Windows 10 in the future? Which key do I use?

I'll rename this guide as this script works with other versions of Windows

BigDay

When I tried to enter my Windows 7 product key during the Windows 10 install, it said my key was invalid. I skipped this step and was able to install Windows 10 without issue

What happens if I want to reinstall Windows 10 in the future? Which key do I use?

I'll rename this guide as this script works with other versions of Windows

I posted the various Generic Keys that get used base on version of Windows 10.

The funny thing about this is, people with pirated versions are getting activated as well and I think it is permanent, per machine.  I think they can reformat and install Windows 10 and it will activate

hey thanx for this i was trying to figure this out and the other ways i found were pretty difficult this is by far the easiest way i've seen.

cpu:i7-4770k    gpu: msi reference r9 290x  liquid cooled with h55 and hg10 a1     motherboard:z97x gaming 5   ram:gskill sniper 8 gb

Or you can just download KeyFinder:

https://www.magicaljellybean.com/keyfinder/

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro