Windows 10 will be free for pirates.... legally

so reading up on windows 10 this morning and came across this, http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/8241023/windows-10-free-for-software-pirates this means even if you are a pirate you will have a free legal version of windows, this is because they want one ueser base, everyone on windows 10. and they think that it will give pirates reason to stop pirating and understand th eimportance of licencing!

£20 says that people will pirate windows 8.1, upgrade to windows 10 and doge the £99 it costs to buy it! 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

so reading up on windows 10 this morning and came across this, http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/18/8241023/windows-10-free-for-software-pirates this means even if you are a pirate you will have a free legal version of windows, this is because they want one ueser base, everyone on windows 10. and they think that it will give pirates reason to stop pirating and understand th eimportance of licencing!

£20 says that people will pirate windows 8.1, upgrade to windows 10 and doge the £99 it costs to buy it! 

Pft who would do that  :ph34r:

Never mind, article is from March.

Microsoft went back on that statement, although it does look like some people have gotten pirated version to work. They really should allow them. If someone has it illegally now, not like they will suddenly pay money to have it legally........ It is better for everyone to just get everyone on the legal version, less chance of issues and more control over their ecosystem.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

There's one thing that i don't understand if these peoples called themselves a pirate or be a moron. If you can afford a PC that cost more than a OS, then how come you can't afford a OS that cost $120 or less?! 

Is this not kind of Microsoft admitting that pirating their software is fine? Or at least them saying 'don't worry about it'.... I mean, i understand why they think it's a good idea, but i don't think it is. 

As you said, i can't see anyone paying for Windows now... There's no reason to if they're going to allow them to upgrade to a full version anyway. 

They backtracked on this ages ago. They said that pirated version will not get the upgrade, or it will at least not be upgraded to a genuine version. 

Although some people seem to have been able to upgrade to Windows 10 from pirated 7 and 8.1 already, even though they're not supposed to be able to. 

Also, the article OP posted is from March, it's very outdated. 

Microsoft went back on that statement, although it does look like some people have gotten pirated version to work. They really should allow them. If someone has it illegally now, not like they will suddenly pay money to have it legally........ It is better for everyone to just get everyone on the legal version, less chance of issues and more control over their ecosystem.

They shouldn't have it at all though, that's the main point. 

They backtracked on this ages ago. They said that pirated version will not get the upgrade, or it will at least not be upgraded to a genuine version. 

Although some people seem to have been able to upgrade to Windows 10 from pirated 7 and 8.1 already, even though they're not supposed to be able to. 

Also, the article OP posted is from March, it's very outdated. 

Check my edit. 

bit late?

plus they changed there mind and are cracking down on it now u need a genuine key for it to work i belive but ye there cracking down on it so they cant get it but sure some will slip through and if they do they get limited updates i belive

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

Well, the pirate must upgrade themselves within the year, until July 29th 2016 i assume. After that, it's not free for them, or anyone. 

Also MS might know your copy isn't legitimate if you upgrade too soon. If your copy is cracked, you won't have a genuine key, and the activation might note so. In which case, maybe MS will know it's not a legit copy.

There's one thing that i don't understand if these peoples called themselves a pirate or be a moron. If you can afford a PC that cost more than a OS, then how come you can't afford a OS that cost $120 or less?! 

Why pay when it's free? That's their logic. Have to agree in a sense. I'd run a pirated copy if I could add that extra $120 into my GPU.

blackshades on

Why pay when it's free? That's their logic. Have to agree in a sense. I'd run a pirated copy if I could add that extra $120 into my GPU.

^.

Although i personally wouldn't, that is how their minds work, and i've seen many people on this forum say it - 'why pay for something when i can have it for free'.

Why pay when it's free? That's their logic.

It's because the software is seen as "free" when you buy a PC somewhere. 

Your new laptop/desktop from any store comes with it. If they charged you an additional price, on top of the cost to buy the laptop/desktop, then now everyone would be in the understanding that it actually costs something.

Psychologically, people actually believe the software is/should be free. 

Well, the pirate must upgrade themselves within the year, until July 29th 2016 i assume. After that, it's not free for them, or anyone. 

Also MS might know your copy isn't legitimate if you upgrade too soon. If your copy is cracked, you won't have a genuine key, and the activation might note so. In which case, maybe MS will know it's not a legit copy.

So if i force manual PC upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th does that mean i'm running illegal version? Although is said Windows is activated.

Why pay when it's free? 

So you would like your company or you business to get bankrupt fast ehh? I wouldn't recommend a pirate OS at any cost because i don't trust these kind of blackhat hackers behind the Windows modifying files scene and then laugh their butt off when you install a malware instead of an actual OS. 

Some people don't think of software as a real thing, so they think pirating is ok. Since it isn't a tangible object, they don't really see it as having an inherent value. It is also different from physical objects in that the maker of the software doesn't lose a copy, they just don't get a sale.

You're late to the party.

Useful threads: Code of Conduct || Unofficial LTT Beginners Guide || Forum FAQ

CPU: Intel Core i5 4440 GPU: GTX 760 MOBO: Asrock Z97 Anniversary RAM: 8GB Adata @ 1600 Mhz Case: Define R4 SSD: Kingston V300 128 GB

HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda NAS: 3TB Seagate Barracudas in RAID 1 PSU: EVGA 600B (600W 80+ Bronze) Display: LG 23MP75 (1080p IPS @ 60hz) 

So if i force manual PC upgrade to Windows 10 on July 29th does that mean i'm running illegal version? Although is said Windows is activated.

If your PC is actually genuine (not genuine from some KMS crack) then no matter how you upgrade, so long as it's a method provided by microsoft, you are activated and genuine.

If your PC is actually genuine (not genuine from some KMS crack) then no matter how you upgrade, so long as it's a method provided by microsoft, you are activated and genuine.

I'm upgrading mine from this site is it legit? 

Yep. That is perfectly fine. 

is your current os pirated? if so please tell me hgow you get on 

Check out my current projects: Selling site (Click Here)

If($reply == "for me to see"){

$action = "Quote me!";

}else{

$action = "Leave me alone!";

}

is your current os pirated? if so please tell me hgow you get on 

My OS is not a pirated. First you have to download the tool( whatever os version you have) and then run it and then click " Upgrade this PC"

So you would like your company or you business to get bankrupt fast ehh? I wouldn't recommend a pirate OS at any cost because i don't trust these kind of blackhat hackers behind the Windows mod

blackshades on

So you would like your company or you business to get bankrupt fast ehh? I wouldn't recommend a pirate OS at any cost because i don't trust these kind of blackhat hackers behind the Windows mod

I take that as a compliment sir. Silly goose definitely match my taste. 

I take that as a compliment sir. Silly goose definitely match my taste. 

Oh no I meant to call you a silly goose since I stated that's the pirates logic; not mine. Touch screens are hard.

blackshades on