W10 key? Will it just be my 8.1 key or will I get a new one?

bpw87

So I'm wanting to upgrade my 8.1 to 10 but I'm planning on building a new PC soon and wanted to re-use my current key as this PC will be getting parted out and sold.

When I upgrade will my key stay the same or change and will it be a key that I can re-use?

its the same i believe

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

its the same i believe

Nope, i try my Windows 8.1 key and it doesn't work. What i believe is Windows 10 use different Windows 8.1 key so you probably have to download some kind of application to dig that up.

That would be so nice and a lot less trouble. Thanks

Nope, i try my Windows 8.1 key and it doesn't work. What i believe is Windows 10 use different Windows 8.1 key so you probably have to download some kind of application to dig that up.

Damn I was hoping it would be, but thanks for the info.

Damn I was hoping it would be, but thanks for the info.

This is definitely the game that Microsoft set for Windows 10 upgrade

" License key scavenger hunt "

if you upgrade it will use your existing win key and activation status, but you cant enter a previous version's key into a clean/unactivated install.

pc specs: 4 function calculator / 8 digit lcd display / colored numeric and function buttons

if you upgrade it will use your existing win key and activation status

Yes

but you cant enter a previous version's key into a clean/unactivated install.

Yup, you have to use some kind of hack application to dig that Windows 10 key up boy, because i believe is located somewhere in registry or somewhere that are complicated. 

Yes

Yup, you have to use some kind of hack application to dig that Windows 10 key up boy, because i believe is located somewhere in registry or somewhere that are complicated. 

magicaljellybean keyfinder

magicaljellybean keyfinder

Can you try that and see if it work if you activate it? 

I forced the upgrade and now my key is different? Control panel says i have fully activated windows 10 pro though so i don't think there is a problem.

RIG:FX-6300@4.5GHz 1.4V with Hyper 212 evo with LTT NF-F12:MSI Overclockers R7 260X:4x4B Crucial Ballistix Sport:GA-970A-UD3P:1TB Seagate Brracuda & 120GB Crucial M500(OS and Programs)&Sandisk SSD PLUS(Games) In a Bitfenix Comrade with an NF-F12 as exhaust and OEM case fan as front intake

''time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time''

I forced the upgrade and now my key is different? Control panel says i have fully activated windows 10 pro though so i don't think there is a problem.

Upgrade = automatically use your current key and activation status for Windows 10

Clean install = require key. 

Upgrade = automatically use your current key and activation status for Windows 10

Clean install = require key. 

clean install is not possible windows 10 key is registered to your machine and activated through your microsoft account key is only free thorugh windows update

to clean install windows 10 u must clean install windows 8.1 then upgrade i spoke to microsoft them self to confirm this

Case:- 4U Rack Mount Case | Cooler:- Antec Kuhler H600 | CPU:- Intel i5 4690K @ 4.50GHz GPU:- Zotac GeForce GTX 970 4GB AMP! Omega Core Edition @ 1449MHz | Motherboard:- MSI Z97S SLI Krait | PSU:- XFX XTR 650W Gold | RAM:- HyperX DDR3 1866MHz 4GB White (x2) Black (x2) | Storage:- Kingston V300 120GB | Storage 2:- Seagate FireCuda 1TB | Build Log |

clean install is not possible windows 10 key is registered to your machine and activated through your microsoft account key is only free thorugh windows update

to clean install windows 10 u must clean install windows 8.1 then upgrade i spoke to microsoft them self to confirm this

So if i want to fresh install Windows 10, i must install Windows 8.1 first? Can i just install Windows 10 only using media drives? 

i have read that 30 days after the upgrade your Windows 7/8.1 key will convert to an Windows 10 key.

"Well, not even last night's storm could wake you. I heard them say we've reached Morrowind, I'm sure they'll let us go."

Can you try that and see if it work if you activate it? 

Sorry for late reply, but I just fired up my win10 rtm vm and YES, it works.

ioUJTcc.png

Spits out the same key microsoft issued us.

Cool as man but you might not want the world to see your key

Cool as man but you might not want the world to see your key

It's the same key every insider got.

It's the same key every insider got.

Ahh too easy 

just type this command in command prompt or powershell, it will display your Windows 10 key

wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

ioUJTcc.png

If i download magically jelly bean finder and it got my key, will it be mine forever? 

If i download magically jelly bean finder and it got my key, will it be mine forever? 

MS probably has certain keys assigned to the free upgrade program, so you might be able to extract it but not use it again.

Not sure.

Can someone that updated test activating their extracted key on another machine and report back?

MS probably has certain keys assigned to the free upgrade program, so you might be able to extract it but not use it again.

Not sure.

Can someone that updated test activating their extracted key on another machine and report back?

I try activate using your key and this is what i get " The product key you entered can't use on this version of Windows, please use different key." Windows 10 recognize is the key after i input all of those numbers and letters, but it fail to activate it! 

I try activate using your key and this is what i get " The product key you entered can't use on this version of Windows, please use different key." Windows 10 recognize is the key after i input all of those numbers and letters, but it fail to activate it! 

I believe it is blacklisted now, as it was for insiders.