How do I Move Windows 7 to my HDD from SSD

gassy24

Yeah so my ssd isn't huge and I don't like the OS on it because of my ignorance on how to deal with software downloads going straight to the C: drive and other stuff like the OS causing the life span of the ssd to shorten I'd rather just move it to my hard drive where I'm more comfortable with it. I don't have the disk the OS came on because I got the computer second hand so I want to know if there is a way for me to move it to the hdd. please help and thanks/

You can clone your HHD is your HHD just contain your OS because when you clone you only can clone the whole HHD not just one partition. Best to do clean install using USB or Disc.

Magical Pineapples

Nope, also you should just install

Other software on the hdd.

Oh and the os won't shorten the lifespan anymore than the rest of your software.

how do I install other software onto to hdd if it defaults to the Program Files folder on the C: drive. for example logitech gaming software it doesn't let me choose where to download it it just defaults to the ssd. And how come when I want to move files no move option is given it's like would you like to copy the files to this folder and my answer is no I want to move them there and send all of the updates there as well.

how do I install other software onto to hdd if it defaults to the Program Files folder on the C: drive. for example logitech gaming software it doesn't let me choose where to download it it just defaults to the ssd. And how come when I want to move files no move option is given it's like would you like to copy the files to this folder and my answer is no I want to move them there and send all of the updates there as well.

If your using Chrome you can change the destination for your downloads in the settings.

If you want to to move a file just right click on it and select "cut" then just paste it to wherever you want it.

Note: programs in use and installed this game in most cases can't be cut and pasted.

Another option is just copy it over then delete the old one.

If your using Chrome you can change the destination for your downloads in the settings.

If you want to to move a file just right click on it and select "cut" then just paste it to wherever you want it.

Note: programs in use and installed this game in most cases can't be cut and pasted.

Another option is just copy it over then delete the old one.

Damn that will be bugging me forever. Also Mozilla lets me tell it where to down load stuff but in the case of the logitech software it let me decide where to put the installer file but once you run the installer it goes straight tto the Program Files on the C: just like everything else which is the annoying part where I have to go searching for the files to move.

Damn that will be bugging me forever. Also Mozilla lets me tell it where to down load stuff but in the case of the logitech software it let me decide where to put the installer file but once you run the installer it goes straight tto the Program Files on the C: just like everything else which is the annoying part where I have to go searching for the files to move.

When you install something there will 99% of the time be an option to change Installation direction.

EXAMPLE:

y90BA.png

By default its always the C drive however!

Notice the "browse.." button? you press it and navigate to wherever you wish to install it.

Your can also in most cases just type in where you want to install it.

Trust me homes if all of the downloads gave me that option I would not complain

Trust me homes if all of the downloads gave me that option I would not complain

They do. Every browser has an option to choose a download location (or to ask every time), and every install asks you where you want to install to.

Yeah so my ssd isn't huge and I don't like the OS on it because of my ignorance on how to deal with software downloads going straight to the C: drive and other stuff like the OS causing the life span of the ssd to shorten I'd rather just move it to my hard drive where I'm more comfortable with it. I don't have the disk the OS came on because I got the computer second hand so I want to know if there is a way for me to move it to the hdd. please help and thanks/

Hey gassy24,

Having the OS on the HDD instead of the SSD would slow down your computer's performance, increase all loading and boot times and decrease significantly the transfer speeds. Leaving it on the SSD wouldn't shorten the drive's lifespan noticeably at a regular consumer usage. I would leave it there and simply redirect all downloads, installs and other files to the HDD as well as move/delete the pagefile and the hiberfil.

However, if you still want to move it, the manufacturers of drives usually have a free version of a cloning software that can do that for you. I'd check the website of the manufacturers for more details. What is your HDD's brand and model? For WD drives Acronis True Image has a free version that works pretty good.

Captain_WD.

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/ 

Hey gassy24,

Having the OS on the HDD instead of the SSD would slow down your computer's performance, increase all loading and boot times and decrease significantly the transfer speeds. Leaving it on the SSD wouldn't shorten the drive's lifespan noticeably at a regular consumer usage. I would leave it there and simply redirect all downloads, installs and other files to the HDD as well as move/delete the pagefile and the hiberfil.

However, if you still want to move it, the manufacturers of drives usually have a free version of a cloning software that can do that for you. I'd check the website of the manufacturers for more details. What is your HDD's brand and model? For WD drives Acronis True Image has a free version that works pretty good.

Captain_WD.

The hdd is a WD and I want the OS on it simply because of the size of the drive and making my life easier speed and boot up time isn't something I care deeply about and I believe windows 8.1 and 10 have fast enough boot times to where I won't care what drive they're on.

They do. Every browser has an option to choose a download location (or to ask every time), and every install asks you where you want to install to.

I swear to god I just reinstalled all  of the Nvidia software lastnight and I told it where to download it and HALF(1/2) of the files went where I told them to go and the other went to Program Files on the C: