R9 290 for 1440p... Is it time for an upgrade? or not just yet

LaboonTheWhale

Hey all

So I have a 290 right now OC'd to 1200/1400 and I currently play at 1440p. 

its definitely starting to show its struggle with the newer games coming out and I was wondering, is it time for an upgrade? or just try to wait it out for Pascal or whatever HBM 2 GPU's come out. 

Edit: I run an m-itx build so no 2nd 290 for me :/ 

Hey all

So I have a 290 right now OC'd to 1200/1400 and I currently play at 1440p. 

its definitely starting to show its struggle with the newer games coming out and I was wondering, is it time for an upgrade? or just try to wait it out for Pascal or whatever HBM 2 GPU's come out. 

why not pick up a second one? they are dirt cheap right now

You know, one of the glorious things about PC gaming is turning settings down. Not even all the way, just a little bit. Because most of the time your visual fidelity barely changes.

Not really, a R9 290 is still capable for modern games today. Just wait until the point where your GPU is lacking so much that you really need a new GPU....2016-2017 seems fine as average upgrades is around 3-4 years.

Or another 290 for Xfire.

why not pick up a second one? they are dirt cheap right now

I forgot to mention i have it in an ITX build so no Crossfire :/ 

You know, one of the glorious things about PC gaming is turning settings down. Not even all the way, just a little bit. Because most of the time your visual fidelity barely changes.

I do bring them down, but end up just reaching 60 (I really prefer 60 like many) 

Reading previous replies if you aren't getting the frames you'd like at the settings you'd like then upgrade. A 390x minimum

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

ITX on AM3+? :o

i just built a new build this past week. I forgot to update my build. I'm using a 4690k now. 

ITX on AM3+? :o

he has a 4690k

@op

Short of getting a second one the only significant upgrade is super expensive (Fury X or 980 Ti)... anything short of that isn't a huge upgrade. Probably better off waiting a year or so.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

if you can wait for pascal,or next year,just wait,if not upgrade now