Silent Hard Drives? (2.5 form factor)

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey so I unfortunately have a very loud toshiba hard drive on my laptop, and I was wondering does Western Digital and or Seagate have silent hard drives in this form factor? Obviously the tick of death is not going to be silent but I mean before the tick of death. Anything like that? 

edit - apparently ssds are hard drives... wthhhh... so the proper term is mechanical drive apparently sorry about that 

Hey Yames,

Here are my two cents on this:
There are four basic types of storage drives:
- HDD (Hard Disk Drives) which is your basic mechanical storage drive with a spinning platter and a read/write head hovering over it. 
- SSD (Solid State Drives) which have zero moving parts and store data on cells via electrical charges.
- SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives) which is basically a regular HDD with a small (usually 8GB) SSD that is used for caching the HDD for better performance on the more frequently used applications and files
- Dual Drives are basically a separate HDD and SSD in one form factor, working independently but through one SATA port.

Out of all these, a SSD would naturally be the most quiet one since it doesn't have any moving parts, hence nothing to produce sounds, but are the most expensive ones. Out of the other three, it would really depend from drive to drive. The general rule of thumb is the higher the performance and rpm, the higher the noise levels. 

I can suggest checking out WD Black2, WD Green, WD Blue and WD Blue SSHD as more quiet but still good and fast options: 
WD Green (this should have the lowest noise levels): http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=8R53Vk

Captain_WD. 

i am reading the post. All ur saying is. Ohh myyyyy someone plz tell me were I can get a silent mechanical HDD. Ohhhh myyyy ur not reading the posts.

obviously not reading the posts 

Hey so I unfortunately have a very loud toshiba hard drive on my laptop, and I was wondering does Western Digital and or Seagate have silent hard drives in this form factor? Obviously the tick of death is not going to be silent but I mean before the tick of death. Anything like that? 

edit - apparently ssds are hard drives... wthhhh... so the proper term is mechanical drive apparently sorry about that

noooooo HDD is hard disk drive. SSD's have no hard spinning disks.

noooooo HDD is hard disk drive. SSD's have no hard spinning disks.

someone already got to that, you would've seen that if you read the posts 

someone already got to that, you would've seen that if you read the posts

i was reading the posts. So ur asking for help, and want to be a dick?

So much ppl like u on the forums.

i was reading the posts. So ur asking for help, and want to be a dick?

I'm just saying that if you would have read the posts then there wouldn't have been a need to post that since someone had already corrected me, it's a waste 

I'm sorry you don't understand logic 

I'm just saying that if you would have read the posts then there wouldn't have been a need to post that since someone had already corrected me, it's a waste

i've BEEN SAYING THAT I HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS MAN!!!!! DICK HAVE U BEEN READING THE POSTS?

I was told they can die without warning, I would love to put in an ssd and a hard drive but my laptop is pretty old now and can only fit 1 2.5 inch device :(

so wouldn't that make smart for an ssd useless? 

As stated above, mechanical drives can also die without warning, and as stated above, if anything mechanical drives are more likely to die without warning.

"Rawr XD"

As stated above, mechanical drives can also die without warning, and as stated above, if anything mechanical drives are more likely to die without warning.

How can they die without warning? Wouldn't that just make S.M.A.R.T. useless? I don't understand 

wouldn't that just make an ssd the superior one? 

i've BEEN SAYING THAT I HAVE BEEN READING THE POSTS MAN!!!!! DICK HAVE U BEEN READING THE POSTS?

Calm down it's okay. 

How can they die without warning? Wouldn't that just make S.M.A.R.T. useless? I don't understand

HDD...... Hm they can show that it's failing or just not spin up. What do you think makes a HDD work?

Yes, that's why we're suggesting it.

"Rawr XD"

wtf? 

okay but I need something that will give signs of dying so there is time to move the files off before it's too late 

I was told an ssd will die without warning so it wouldn't be ideal here as far as I understand 

An SSD will only die out of the blue if you put a bullet through it or it shorts out, neither of which will likely happen. So whoever told you that is frankly an idiot. Most utilities that come with SSDs will tell you how they're doing, yes gradually over time the more you use it they'll loose blocks that can hold data but the amount is so small, it's not like you'll loose a gig or two of space, but a couple kilobytes. It'll take a very long time for an SSD to die unless you're constantly stressing it by writing immense amounts of data to it 24/7/365.

It's a spinning metal disk, you move it too much and the read/write head will come in contact with the platter and destroy it. That and dropping it, which happens.

I need to rethink my entire tech life... I can not believe this is such a game changer what the actual fuck... 

I am still facepalming over this, I can not believe this 

It's a spinning metal disk, you move it too much and the read/write head will come in contact with the platter and destroy it. That and dropping it, which happens.

okay so........ 

SSDs are smaller in capacity while hard drives are larger in capacity 

SSDs are faster than hard drives - this is because of cache or something? 

and my last question is, so do SSDs have S.M.A.R.T. which is the same thing used for hard drives to tell if they are in a dying stage? - are there different types of S.M.A.R.T. or is it the exact same thing here? 

okay so........ 

SSDs are smaller in capacity while hard drives are larger in capacity 

SSDs are faster than hard drives - this is because of cache or something? 

and my last question is, so do SSDs have S.M.A.R.T. which is the same thing used for hard drives to tell if they are in a dying stage? 

You can get SSDs up to 1 TB in capacity, it's just not as cheap as a hard drive.

SSDs are faster than hard drives because flash storage is faster than mechanical storage because you're not looking for bits of data on a spinning disk.

Yes, SSDs do use S.M.A.R.T.

You can get SSDs up to 1 TB in capacity, it's just not as cheap as a hard drive.

SSDs are faster than hard drives because flash storage is faster than mechanical storage because you're not looking for bits of data on a spinning disk.

Yes, SSDs do use S.M.A.R.T.

since SSDs do use S.M.A.R.T. they will give the same signs of "dying" as a hard drive then? 

since SSDs do use S.M.A.R.T. they will give the same signs of "dying" as a hard drive then? 

In a sense, yes. They "die" due to different reasons but the end result shows the same. You will know if your SSD is starting to go, and it's very gradual too.

In a sense, yes. They "die" due to different reasons but the end result shows the same. You will know if your SSD is starting to go, and it's very gradual too.

okay thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for clearing this up, I still can't believe how far off track I have been and I'm sorry if it looked like I was trolling or whatever I must have just been straightforward lied to or just missed something huge or made assumptions, I'm not sure what happened but thank you soooooo much

okay thank you sooooooooooooooooooooo much for clearing this up, I still can't believe how far off track I have been and I'm sorry if it looked like I was trolling or whatever I must have just been straightforward lied to or just missed something huge or made assumptions, I'm not sure what happened but thank you soooooo much

No problem. I've seen a lot of your threads made and all you need is clear information to make sense of things. Thankfully SSDs are always going down in price and will be going up in capacity soon, so it might be nice to be on all solid state storage for once.

Hey Yames,

Here are my two cents on this:
There are four basic types of storage drives:
- HDD (Hard Disk Drives) which is your basic mechanical storage drive with a spinning platter and a read/write head hovering over it. 
- SSD (Solid State Drives) which have zero moving parts and store data on cells via electrical charges.
- SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives) which is basically a regular HDD with a small (usually 8GB) SSD that is used for caching the HDD for better performance on the more frequently used applications and files
- Dual Drives are basically a separate HDD and SSD in one form factor, working independently but through one SATA port.

Out of all these, a SSD would naturally be the most quiet one since it doesn't have any moving parts, hence nothing to produce sounds, but are the most expensive ones. Out of the other three, it would really depend from drive to drive. The general rule of thumb is the higher the performance and rpm, the higher the noise levels. 

I can suggest checking out WD Black2, WD Green, WD Blue and WD Blue SSHD as more quiet but still good and fast options: 
WD Green (this should have the lowest noise levels): http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=8R53Vk

Captain_WD. 

If this helped you, like and choose it as best answer - you might help someone else with the same issue. ^_^
WDC Representative, http://www.wdc.com/