Silent Hard Drives? (2.5 form factor)

Go to solution Solved by Captain_WD,

Hey so I unfortunately have a very loud toshiba hard drive on my laptop, and I was wondering does Western Digital and or Seagate have silent hard drives in this form factor? Obviously the tick of death is not going to be silent but I mean before the tick of death. Anything like that? 

edit - apparently ssds are hard drives... wthhhh... so the proper term is mechanical drive apparently sorry about that 

Hey Yames,

Here are my two cents on this:
There are four basic types of storage drives:
- HDD (Hard Disk Drives) which is your basic mechanical storage drive with a spinning platter and a read/write head hovering over it. 
- SSD (Solid State Drives) which have zero moving parts and store data on cells via electrical charges.
- SSHD (Solid State Hybrid Drives) which is basically a regular HDD with a small (usually 8GB) SSD that is used for caching the HDD for better performance on the more frequently used applications and files
- Dual Drives are basically a separate HDD and SSD in one form factor, working independently but through one SATA port.

Out of all these, a SSD would naturally be the most quiet one since it doesn't have any moving parts, hence nothing to produce sounds, but are the most expensive ones. Out of the other three, it would really depend from drive to drive. The general rule of thumb is the higher the performance and rpm, the higher the noise levels. 

I can suggest checking out WD Black2, WD Green, WD Blue and WD Blue SSHD as more quiet but still good and fast options: 
WD Green (this should have the lowest noise levels): http://products.wdc.com/support/kb.ashx?id=8R53Vk

Captain_WD. 

Hey so I unfortunately have a very loud toshiba hard drive on my laptop, and I was wondering does Western Digital and or Seagate have silent hard drives in this form factor? Obviously the tick of death is not going to be silent but I mean before the tick of death. Anything like that? 

edit - apparently ssds are hard drives... wthhhh... so the proper term is mechanical drive apparently sorry about that 

is ssd an option?

SSD if possible. Otherwise a Seagate drive, maybe WD.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

is ssd an option?

nawh, i wish because of the speed but i need a hard drive for the ability of S.M.A.R.T. when needed :(

They're called solid state drives. They've been around for a while now, might've heard about them? Maybe?

As I had specifically said a hard drive. 

SSD if possible. Otherwise a Seagate drive, maybe WD.

My previous drive before the toshiba one was actually quite silent but I'm not sure what type it was all I know is that it was a 320gb 2.5 inch drive, not sure what types that would be under though

an ssd is a harddrive you mean to say you meant mechanical not a solid state.

askdjfasdf

an ssd is a harddrive you mean to say you meant mechanical not a solid state.

wtf an ssd is a hard drive? 

......is that even a....yes an ssd is a harddrive.

askdjfasdf

......is that even a....yes an ssd is a harddrive.

well i did not know that, i must have had my terminology messed up sorry about that

anything with moving parts will always make sound. So it's just ur personal problem.

anything with moving parts will always make sound. So it's just ur personal problem.

Someone didn't read all of the posts

nawh, i wish because of the speed but i need a hard drive for the ability of S.M.A.R.T. when needed :(

SSDs have S.M.A.R.T. too

"Rawr XD"

Someone didn't read all of the posts

u dumb? Get a ssd it has s.m.a.r.t status. You can't get a Operating HDD that makes no sound.

SSDs have S.M.A.R.T. too

I was told they can die without warning, I would love to put in an ssd and a hard drive but my laptop is pretty old now and can only fit 1 2.5 inch device :( 

so wouldn't that make smart for an ssd useless? 

Yes, a SSD is a hard drive, lol. It's just not an optical disk drive.

2.5" drives are naturally going to be louder due to their small form factor; though generally speaking I've not experienced any issues with them being noticeably "loud" before; even with older/less premium ones. They're not loud devices, and being that they're primarily for laptops and game consoles, there isn't a "silent" line.

If you want silence, go for a SSD. Otherwise, 5400 RPM is as slow as modern PCs should deal with and ultimately as quiet as you may get for a disk drive.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

u dumb? Get a ssd it has s.m.a.r.t status. You can't get a Operating HDD that makes no sound.

You can get ones that are quiet. 

I was told they can die without warning, I would love to put in an ssd and a hard drive but my laptop is pretty old now and can only fit 1 2.5 inch device :(

A SSD can die without warning just as much as a normal hard drive can. SMART rarely tells you what's wrong, in my experience. If your drive is going to randomly die, it's going to randomly die.

In a laptop, it's going to die from physical damage more likely than not, so SMART won't help you. Whereas a SSD with no moving parts is not susceptible to physical damage.

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

Because "reasons" I assume?

A hard drive is more likely to die than an SSD.

You can get ones that are quiet.

ohhmaw gawd. If u know that u can get one, then why make this post that is wasting all of our time? U dumb?

ohhmaw gawd. If u know that u can get one, then why make this post that is wasting all of our time? U dumb?

Someone obviously hasn't bothered reading the posts. 

Someone obviously hasn't bothered reading the posts.

i am reading the post. All ur saying is. Ohh myyyyy someone plz tell me were I can get a silent mechanical HDD. Ohhhh myyyy ur not reading the posts.

A hard drive is more likely to die than an SSD.

wtf? 

okay but I need something that will give signs of dying so there is time to move the files off before it's too late 

I was told an ssd will die without warning so it wouldn't be ideal here as far as I understand