Can't open settings or anything related on Windows 10

Klefth
Go to solution Solved by Klefth,

Never mind, I found the solution. I can now access everything and finally could activate my copy as well. I'll leave a link to the solution to this issue here in case anyone else runs into this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/settings-doesnt-launch-or-launches-the-store/ec439819-7ee4-4b4d-abdd-35d82e04c55f?auth=1​

So whenever I try to open the settings menu from Start I see the window flash for less than a second, then it immediately closes, and any time I try to access anything related like, say, change screen resolution or personalization options I get this error.

post-28939-0-73178000-1438214304.png

Has anyone run into this or has any solutions? :/

post-28939-0-73178000-1438214304.png

That seems very strange. Can you give details on your upgrade? Such as did you have anything like Classic Shell or Start8 installed before upgrading. Was it straight upgrade or have you clean installed?

You should check Event Viewer for critical errors. When an app crashes it will appear in Event Viewer.

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

So whenever I try to open the settings menu from Start I see the window flash for less than a second, then it immediately closes, and any time I try to access anything related like, say, change screen resolution or personalization options I get this error.

attachicon.giffuckingerror.PNG

Has anyone run into this or has any solutions? :/

Also make sure you follow your post when making a thread or else you have no clue that anyone has replied :/

"Epic Voice, Quality Content"

It was a straight upgrade from Win8.1. No classic shell, no Start8.

Apparently whenever I try to launch the settings menu I get two errors at once, one from the application itself and one from "Side by Side", which seems to be the cause.

post-28939-0-92205700-1438215509_thumb.p

The error from the settings app reads:
Activation of app windows.immersivecontrolpanel_cw5n1h2txyewy!microsoft.windows.immersivecontrolpanel failed with error: The application has failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect. Please see the application event log or use the command-line sxstrace.exe tool for more detail. See the Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational log for additional information.

Aaand I just realized that I can't activate either. The exact same error happens again.

post-28939-0-92205700-1438215509_thumb.p

Never mind, I found the solution. I can now access everything and finally could activate my copy as well. I'll leave a link to the solution to this issue here in case anyone else runs into this.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-other_settings/settings-doesnt-launch-or-launches-the-store/ec439819-7ee4-4b4d-abdd-35d82e04c55f?auth=1​

• 2 weeks later...

Just found the same answer somewhere else a bit earlier from this thread on the Microsoft Forums  :D  :D . That was an annoying problem...

So thanks for reading guys, if this post sucked, I'm not sure what you can do, but if you liked it, go 'head and hit that like button, or maybe add me as a friend. Otherwise, go subscribe to LinusTechTips on YouTube, follow them on Twitch, follow @LinusTech on Twitter, and support them by using their affiliate code on Amazon, buying a cool T-shirt, or supporting them directly on this community forum.