Not quite sure what to get?

Go to solution Solved by Faceman,

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H6XzrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H6XzrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cougar MG100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $703.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-29 20:20 EDT-0400

Could even spring for a nicer chassis.

Hi, I wanted a new PC for the year since i'll be going into AP Digital which involves lots of photo editing on a daily/weekly basis. This will be my daily driver, the task i'll put it through are:

• Essays, research
  • Movies & Tv Series
  • Productivity, Photoshop and Light Room
  • Games: League, Counter strike, and Hearthstone

I currently reside in California, USA. Don't particularly have a budget, but the best components for a budget would be nice maybe under $749, would you guys possibly know a cheap way into getting windows 10 as well? Thank you

P.S. i have no components to reuse. 

Edit: Would a small barebone/ITX be a good choice since i travel a lot between two cities?

• Essays, research
  • Movies & Tv Series
  • Productivity, Photoshop and Light Room
  • Games: League, Counter strike, and Hearthstone

For this, I would recommend to get a good, preferably an Intel CPU (since they are most all round), and not focusing on the GPU too much. This is clearly all CPU heavy work.

I currently reside in California, USA. Don't particularly have a budget, but the best components for a budget would be nice maybe under $749, would you guys possibly know a cheap way into getting windows 10 as well? Thank you

Reddit software key of Windows 7/8/8.1, and then do a free upgrade.

Edit: Would a small barebone/ITX be a good choice since i travel a lot between two cities?

Depends on personal preference. See what comes out best for you!

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

For this, I would recommend to get a good, preferably an Intel CPU (since they are most all round), and not focusing on the GPU too much. This is clearly all CPU heavy work.

Reddit software key of Windows 7/8/8.1, and then do a free upgrade.

Depends on personal preference. See what comes out best for you!

Ah so even photo editing on relied on CPU? As for the itx, this is my first build and i'm scared that i'll mess up

Ah so even photo editing on relied on CPU? As for the itx, this is my first build and i'm scared that i'll mess up

Photo editing does use the GPU, but the capacity of modern GPUs for 2D applications easily overcomes anything that Photoshop or a comparable program can throw at it. The extra horsepower that high-end GPUs have is pretty much exclusively useful for 3D applications. That is unless you start working on collossal resolutions, because then you'll still need a high-end GPU (or at least one with plentiful VRAM) to accommodate the frame buffer.

As for the motherboard size; there are a great number of high-quality ITX motherboards for Intel CPUs, so it's a perfectly viable option there. If you go the AMD route, however, which might be advisable for your requirements, you'll be stuck with mATX or larger.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

ITX is no different from ATX, you just need to make sure that all the parts work together!

Photo editing does use the GPU, but the capacity of modern GPUs for 2D applications easily overcomes anything that Photoshop or a comparable program can throw at it. The extra horsepower that high-end GPUs have is pretty much exclusively useful for 3D applications. That is unless you start working on collossal resolutions, because then you'll still need a high-end GPU (or at least one with plentiful VRAM) to accommodate the frame buffer.

^This

As for the motherboard size; there are a great number of high-quality ITX motherboards for Intel CPUs, so it's a perfectly viable option there. If you go the AMD route, however, which might be advisable for your requirements, you'll be stuck with mATX or larger.

Personally, I would go for Intel. I don't mean to black talk AMD, since they make good CPU's, but IPC is quite important in gaming. AMD offers lots of cores in their price range, Intel offers lots of IPC in the same one.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H6XzrH
Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/H6XzrH/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1231 V3 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($242.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-B85M-DS3H Micro ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($41.98 @ Newegg)
Memory: PNY Anarchy 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($76.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: A-Data Premier Pro SP600 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($46.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GB Video Card  ($169.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Case: Cougar MG100 MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($29.99 @ Mwave)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($44.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $703.42
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-07-29 20:20 EDT-0400

Could even spring for a nicer chassis.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

Personally, I would go for Intel. I don't mean to black talk AMD, since they make good CPU's, but IPC is quite important in gaming. AMD offers lots of cores in their price range, Intel offers lots of IPC in the same one.

I think that AMD would actually be viable in this particular usage scenario because of the content creation. It wouldn't necessarily be better or worse than Intel, but unlike in a purely gaming-oriented scenario, AMD would at least be worth considering.

Main Rig "Melanie" (click!) -- AMD Ryzen7 1800X • Gigabyte Aorus X370-Gaming 5 • 3x G.SKILL TridentZ 3200 8GB • Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming • Corsair RM750x • Phanteks Enthoo Pro --

HTPC "Keira" -- AMD Sempron 2650 • MSI AM1I • 2x Kingston HyperX Fury DDR3 1866 8GB • ASUS ENGTX 560Ti • Corsair SF450 • Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV Shift --

Laptop "Abbey" -- AMD E-350 • HP 646982-001 • 1x Samsung DDR3 1333 4GB • AMD Radeon HD 6310 • HP MU06 Notebook Battery • HP 635 case --

Thank you :), does hyper threading make a difference? 

For Light Room it will.  The other applications, not so much.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."