PNY 64gb flash drive showing only 31.9gb of space?

EthanTheFrogMan

how might I do that? thanks for all the help guys

What OS are you using?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Format it to NFTS. This maybe fixes it (maybe you need to format twice), but it will for sure allow you to move files that are over ±4GB each on it.

Tried this yet?

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7

if diskpart doesn't see 64GB worth of partitions, I'd download RMprepUSB (there's a portable version on the official site somewhere) and let that do a quick size test of the drive (the button for that in near the bottom right corner. 

I use RMprepUSB occasionally to determine the actual size of USB sticks when buying them online.

If part of the storage is dead (however unlikely that seems), this should show the stick as being 32GB instead of 64

if diskpart doesn't see 64GB worth of partitions, I'd download RMprepUSB (there's a portable version on the official site somewhere) and let that do a quick size test of the drive (the button for that in near the bottom right corner.  I use RMprepUSB occasionally to determine the actual size of USB sticks when buying them online.

well it is a 64gb drive, windows showed it as 64gb originally, it changed though

windows 8.1

Go to my computer. Locate your USB, right click it and select "format" and then chose File system, choose NTFS untick format quickly and the click on start.

EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU BACKUP YOUR INFO

Edited by Abdul201588

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

Go to my computer. Locate your USB, right click it and select "format" and then chose File system, choose NTFS untick format quickly and the click on start.

it is formatting it, thanks, ill post when it finishes.

formatting likely won't fix it I have a solution however. will update this in a second when i find the exact steps for u

edit:

You are going to need to clean the drive using Diskpart; here is how to do it

launch CMD (as admin, not sure if its required but helpful)

type "diskpart"

then type "list disk"

find the disk you want to modify, in this case your flashdrive. 

type "select disk X"   X stands for the disk number, so disk 1 would be "select disk 1" as an example (EXTREMELY important you select the right drive here, dont want to ruin your main hard disk)

type "list partition" to see the partitions (help you verify you got the right disk selected)

once you know you have the right disk, type "clean"

then type "create partition primary" this will make a partition that uses all available space

(optional) then type "list partition" to see the partition again if you wish to

then type "format fs=fat32 quick" you can replace fs=fat32 with fs=ntfs or even fs=exfat(if drive is capable of that). fat32 should be fine in most cases though

then type "exit"

enjoy your fixed drive, and save this guide somewhere so you know what to do should it happen again! This happens to me often so I have some experience with it.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

formatting likely won't fix it I have a solution however. will update this in a second when i find the exact steps for u

edit:

type "diskpart"

then type "list disk"

type "select disk X"   X stands for the disk number, so disk 1 would be "select disk 1" as an example (EXTREMELY important you select the right drive here, dont want to ruin your main hard disk)

type "list partition" to see the partitions (help you verify you got the right disk selected)

then type "create partition primary" this will make a partition that uses all available space

then type "format fs=fat32 quick" you can replace fs=fat32 with fs=ntfs or even fs=exfat(if drive is capable of that). fat32 should be fine in most cases though

then type "exit"

enjoy your fixed drive, and save this guide somewhere so you know what to do should it happen again! This happens to me often so I have some experience with it.

great, I am gonna try that in a minute, when it finishes the format.

did not work :(

Okay i'm going to tell you what I did when I had the same problem.  I opened up my Windows command line and typed in the command diskpart.  Then, I ran the command list disk to find my flash drive.  Next, I typed in select disk (disk number) to edit that disk.  Make sure you type in the number that is your flash drive, and not something with your valuable data on it.  I then typed in the command clean.  Finally, I typed in create partition primary.  For me, this set of commands was able to free up all the space on my flash drive.  I hope it works for you.

Edit:  Just realized someone already posted this, sorry.  :)

• CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Extreme3 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard Ram: Team Zeus Blue 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 970 4GB STRIX Video Card Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro ATX Full Tower Case Storage: Crucial MX100 128GB 2.5" Solid State Drive, Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive PSU: EVGA 750W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply Display(s): Asus VG248QE 144Hz 24.0" Monitor Cooling: Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK 68.5 CFM CPU Cooler Keyboard:Corsair K70 RGB Cherry MX BrownMouse: Razer Deathadder Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (32/64-bit) PC Part Picker URL: http://pcpartpicker....aze101xx/saved/

edit:

type "diskpart"

then type "list disk"

then type "exit"

diskpart says it has 59 available, sounds more like it

Okay i'm going to tell you what I did when I had the same problem.  I opened up my Windows command line and typed in the command diskpart.  Then, I ran the command list disk to find my flash drive.  Next, I typed in select disk (disk number) to edit that disk.  Make sure you type in the number that is your flash drive, and not something with your valuable data on it.  I then typed in the command clean.  Finally, I typed in create partition primary.  For me, this set of commands was able to free up all the space on my flash drive.  I hope it works for you.

Edit:  Just realized someone already posted this, sorry.   :)

its ok. u get credit too ;) lol

But yeah I have to use this pretty often as my drives often break themselves in this way when making bootable drives for random OS'es. Works every time though!

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

edit:

type "diskpart"

then type "list disk"

then type "exit"

NVM did not work, was working but then this :(

http://s592.photobucket.com/user/EthanTheFrogMan/media/nothelpingwithflashdrive_zpsfbbj7fn1.jpg.html

try exfat or ntfs instead, like I put in the guide

apparently 64GB is too large for fat32. 

edit: after a bit of quick research 32GB is the partition size limit for FAT32, which explains how you're 64GB flash drive turned into a 32GB one when formatted

Spoiler

You should definitely format it as NFTS, since that allows you to move files bigger than 4GB on it, which fat32 does not.

PC SPECS: CPU: Intel Core i7 3770k @4.4GHz - Mobo: Asrock Extreme 4 (Z77) - GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 680 Twin Frozr 2GB - RAM: Crucial Ballistix 2x4GB (8GB) 1600MHz CL8 + 1x8GB - Storage: SSD: Sandisk Extreme II 120GB. HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB - PSU: be quiet! Pure Power L8 630W semi modular  - Case: Corsair Obsidian 450D  - OS: Windows 7