x2 SSD raid 0 to a bootable backup to HDD

Go to solution Solved by MrBucket101,

So by you copying and pasting your essentially cloned the drive A to B. If I did copy and paste what would I have to do from there to be able to boot to that drive instead after i changed the boot priority in the bios?

you can get a gParted liveCD from here just grab the latest stable release.

You can try using clonezilla, but I've had some issues with it not detecting RAID volumes. YMMV

Assuming it's windows you're using. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33433/restore-the-windows-boot-loader-after-an-ubuntu-update/

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way, and do the manual method. I never have any issues with that one. The other options are hit or miss, but will work.

So I have a raid 0 array and I want to make a backup from it but I need it to also be bootable from. So if a SSD fails I will have the back drive to boot to with a backup of what was on the raid array.

If it's a hardware RAID0, any backup program will work.

But will the backup also be a bootable drive?

So I have a raid 0 array and I want to make a backup from it but I need it to also be bootable from. So if a SSD fails I will have the back drive to boot to with a backup of what was on the raid array.

bootable isn't all that important. To make any drive "bootable" all you need to do is install a bootloader to the drive, and then boot off it in the BIOS. Installing bootloaders is trivial, and you will find NUMEROUS guides online for re-installing the windows bootloader, or switching to GRUB, etc...

I like to boot into the linux live discs, and just copy/paste the partition in question from the source to destination. Really easy to do in gParted.

bootable isn't all that important. To make any drive "bootable" all you need to do is install a bootloader to the drive, and then boot off it in the BIOS. Installing bootloaders is trivial, and you will find NUMEROUS guides online for re-installing the windows bootloader, or switching to GRUB, etc...

I like to boot into the linux live discs, and just copy/paste the partition in question from the source to destination. Really easy to do in gParted.

Sorry I don't know much about this. So if I install a bootloader to the backup drive I can boot from it with everything that was backed-up to it? 

Sorry I don't know much about this. So if I install a bootloader to the backup drive I can boot from it with everything that was backed-up to it? 

Depends on how you back up to it. but yeah that's the base principle.

However, you can't exactly copy the entire contents of the windows C:\ drive, while windows is in use. 

thats why I use gParted and simply copy the entire partition from drive A to B. That leaves no doubts the drive won't be bootable after a bootloader is installed.

If you are copying a windows install, you might need to copy some of the other EFI partitions as well. 

Depends on how you back up to it. but yeah that's the base principle.

However, you can't exactly copy the entire contents of the windows C:\ drive, while windows is in use. 

thats why I use gParted and simply copy the entire partition from drive A to B. That leaves no doubts the drive won't be bootable after a bootloader is installed.

If you are copying a windows install, you might need to copy some of the other EFI partitions as well. 

So by you copying and pasting your essentially cloned the drive A to B. If I did copy and paste what would I have to do from there to be able to boot to that drive instead after i changed the boot priority in the bios?

You can try using clonezilla, but I've had some issues with it not detecting RAID volumes. YMMV

Assuming it's windows you're using. http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/33433/restore-the-windows-boot-loader-after-an-ubuntu-update/

Scroll down about 2/3 of the way, and do the manual method. I never have any issues with that one. The other options are hit or miss, but will work.

I am using windows and the backup drive the was copied and pasted has windows on it? But needs the windows bootloader to be repaired/installed?