New SSD's for Windows 10 problem HELP!

kxrider85

Hello everyone! I recently bought two new Samsung 850 evo's that I want to run Windows 10 on but I just realized that the copy of windows that you are using on your current HDD is your proof of having a previous version. I have not received the download link yet but I am starting to have a bad feeling that I will need to install windows 7 on the SSD's first and then install windows 10. I am going to see some family and won't be able to respond for a few hours so if I do not reply, don't go!

Windows installations are tied to your motherboard not your HDD, I moved from a HDD to an SSD with an OEM license and I have windows 10. But yeah you'll need to install windows 7 on the SSD and update from that I think

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Hello everyone! I recently bought two new Samsung 850 evo's that I want to run Windows 10 on but I just realized that the copy of windows that you are using on your current HDD is your proof of having a previous version. I have not received the download link yet but I am starting to have a bad feeling that I will need to install windows 7 on the SSD's first and then install windows 10. I am going to see some family and won't be able to respond for a few hours so if I do not reply, don't go!

So if I understand correctly you currently have a hdd in your system that is running windows 7 and you want to upgrade that to 2 ssds and have windows 10? If this is the case then you should not have any problems as long as you don't switch motherboard.

:)xD9_9:D:PB|

not at all download the image and you can upgrade using other paths http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

If you want to perform a clean install on your PC, or if your PC doesn’t have an operating system, you can use the DVD or USB. Here's how:

How to perform a clean installation of Windows
Warning
  • If you format a drive partition during installation, any data on the partition will be erased. Be sure to back up any data you want to keep before you begin.

1. Turn on your PC, insert the DVD or USB flash drive, and then shut down your PC.

2. Restart your PC, and then press any key to boot from the DVD or USB flash drive.

If you restart your PC and your current version of Windows starts, you might have to open a boot menu or change the boot order in your PC's BIOS or UEFI settings so that your PC boots from the media. To open a boot menu or change the boot order, you'll typically need to press a combination of keys (such as F2, F12, Delete, or Esc) immediately after you turn on your PC. For instructions on changing the boot order for your PC, check the documentation that came with your PC or go to the manufacturer's website.

If changing the boot menu or order doesn't work, try again by signing into Windows, shutting down, and then starting your PC.

3. On the Install Windows page, enter your language and other preferences, and then select Next.

4. Select Install Windows.

5. On the Enter the product key to activate Windows page, enter your product key. The product key should be in a purchase confirmation email if you bought Windows 10. It looks like this: PRODUCT KEY: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX.

Note
    • If you upgraded to Windows 10 on this PC by taking advantage of the free upgrade offer and successfully activated Windows 10 on this PC in the past, you won't have a Windows 10 product key, and you can skip the product key page by selecting the Skip button. Your PC will activate online automatically so long as the same edition of Windows 10 was successfully activated on this PC by using the free Windows 10 upgrade offer.

6. On the License terms page, if you accept the license terms, select I accept the license terms, and then selectNext.

7. On the Which type of installation do you want? page, select Custom.

8. On the Where do you want to install Windows? page, select the partition that you want, select the formatting option you want to perform (if needed), and then follow the instructions.

9. When you've finished formatting, select Next.

10. Follow the rest of the setup instructions to finish installing Windows.

Edit here: the what that means is you should upgrade your existing windows system (old  drive) then do the clean install on the ssd (clicking skip for product key) and it will self activate.

Edited by ggcs.tk

not at all download the image and you can upgrade using other paths http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/media-creation-tool-install

Edit here: the what that means is you should upgrade your existing windows system (old  drive) then do the clean install on the ssd (clicking skip for product key) and it will self activate.

It looks like I can just install windows 10 on a usb with the media creation tool and run it from that, right?

yeah basically but there will be the issue that your Microsoft account needs to have the windows 10 licence attached to it which you get if you do an upgrade on the old install (which you can blow away for a clean install after-woods)

I'm  back! Okay so to be clear:

1. Install windows 10 over the old HDD with widows 7

2. Install windows 10 on a USB

3. Unplug HDD, and boot PC to the USB, skipping the product-key prompt

4. Select the drive to install windows on.

5. Download Windows 10

• 4 months later...

I'm  back! Okay so to be clear:

1. Install windows 10 over the old HDD with widows 7

2. Install windows 10 on a USB

3. Unplug HDD, and boot PC to the USB, skipping the product-key prompt

4. Select the drive to install windows on.

5. Download Windows 10

Hi kxrider85, did the above plan of action work out for you?