Sleeving Questions

theninja35

Hi. Recently, I've been thinking about making custom extensions for my computer. I've been looking around at sleeving, heatshrink, terminals, etc. and I've noticed that the pricing for all the supplies is far above that of what others sell their cables for. For example, modguru sells his 30cm 24 pin cable for $30. I spent about half an hour finding supplies myself, and the price is far above $30. It seems this is caused by heatshrink costs. For 8mm cuts of heatshrink from mod DIY, 48 8mm cuts will be $11+. That brings the cost of a 24 pin cable to nearly $40.

So my question is, how is it possible that Modguru and other places can sell these extensions for so cheap? I want to be able to sleeve my own cables so that I can get it a bit cheaper, but if they're sold for so little then I may have to take that route. I've been told, however, that the funds required to make the cables are far higher (tools, supplies, etc.) but it will eventually pay off in the long run. It does not seem that way, as I explained earlier. 

Is there somewhere I can get all the supplies cheap, particularly heatshrink? I calculated the costs (hopefully correctly) and I came out with about $8 in sleeving (@ modguru, $8=10m; 7.2 required for 30cm 24 pin), connectors will be $1.40 @ modguru,  crimp terminals will be $4.70 @ e22 (for 50, 48 required), and wiring will be $9 @ e22. Then heatshrink is around $11. This is around $35. Is that right? It seems far to expensive.

I could save a few dollars by sleeving my EVGA G2 cables, however I don't want to void the warranty or screw anything up. If anyone has any information on my questions, that'd be great, I appreciate it.

(Sorry for the extremely long topic.)

Hi. Recently, I've been thinking about making custom extensions for my computer. I've been looking around at sleeving, heatshrink, terminals, etc. and I've noticed that the pricing for all the supplies is far above that of what others sell their cables for. For example, modguru sells his 30cm 24 pin cable for $30. I spent about half an hour finding supplies myself, and the price is far above $30. It seems this is caused by heatshrink costs. For 8mm cuts of heatshrink from mod DIY, 48 8mm cuts will be $11+. That brings the cost of a 24 pin cable to nearly $40.

So my question is, how is it possible that Modguru and other places can sell these extensions for so cheap? I want to be able to sleeve my own cables so that I can get it a bit cheaper, but if they're sold for so little then I may have to take that route. I've been told, however, that the funds required to make the cables are far higher (tools, supplies, etc.) but it will eventually pay off in the long run. It does not seem that way, as I explained earlier. 

Is there somewhere I can get all the supplies cheap, particularly heatshrink? I calculated the costs (hopefully correctly) and I came out with about $8 in sleeving (@ modguru, $8=10m; 7.2 required for 30cm 24 pin), connectors will be $1.40 @ modguru,  crimp terminals will be $4.70 @ e22 (for 50, 48 required), and wiring will be $9 @ e22. Then heatshrink is around $11. This is around $35. Is that right? It seems far to expensive.

I could save a few dollars by sleeving my EVGA G2 cables, however I don't want to void the warranty or screw anything up. If anyone has any information on my questions, that'd be great, I appreciate it.

(Sorry for the extremely long topic.)

You're forgetting that companies who sell pre sleeved cables don't have to pay retail prices for supplies since they buy in bulk

You're forgetting that companies who sell pre sleeved cables don't have to pay retail prices for supplies since they buy in bulk

Do you think I could possibly get items in bulk to get it cheaper, or would I require some kind of reputation.

casemods are pretty cheap. i think some are on sale for 70 bucks

$70 for how much cabling?

Do you think I could possibly get items in bulk to get it cheaper, or would I require some kind of reputation.

$70 for how much cabling?

If you want to do it yourself Icemodz has sleeving for very fair prices I've used their stuff before and it's great stuff. As for companies that make sleeving they have machines that sleeve it for them usually and machine that install the crimps so it lessens costs in the long run when your producing thousands of them a day.

https://www.icemodz.eu/store/#!/Sleeve-Connectors-and-Pins/c/5474644/offset=0&sort=normal

On Amazon, Silverstone sells cable extensions which I was just about to make a post about (should it go in cases/PSU's or general discussion, btw). So if you're building in an NZXT case or another that has a cover for the PSU, you can get those for about $8-12 each (12 for 24pin 8 for 8pin, I think) and have it look just as good.

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

On Amazon, Silverstone sells cable extensions which I was just about to make a post about (should it go in cases/PSU's or general discussion, btw). So if you're building in an NZXT case or another that has a cover for the PSU, you can get those for about $8-12 each (12 for 24pin 8 for 8pin, I think) and have it look just as good.

I looked at the Silverstone cables, and they are a good idea, but I don't like the color schemes as well as custom cables. I may go with them if I can't custom-sleeve as they are extremely cheap and look very nice. Thank you.

If you want to do it yourself Icemodz has sleeving for very fair prices I've used their stuff before and it's great stuff. As for companies that make sleeving they have machines that sleeve it for them usually and machine that install the crimps so it lessens costs in the long run when your producing thousands of them a day.

https://www.icemodz.eu/store/#!/Sleeve-Connectors-and-Pins/c/5474644/offset=0&sort=normal

Icemodz looks like it may be my way to go if I sleeve myself, thank you.

Oh and one more question, sorry, if I go from a PSU to the motherboard/GPU, I need a Male/Male connector, right? But if I go from PSU cable to mobo/GPU (extension), I need a Female/Male?

I looked at the Silverstone cables, and they are a good idea, but I don't like the color schemes as well as custom cables. I may go with them if I can't custom-sleeve as they are extremely cheap and look very nice. Thank you.

Oh and one more question, sorry, if I go from a PSU to the motherboard/GPU, I need a Male/Male connector, right? But if I go from PSU cable to mobo/GPU (extension), I need a Female/Male?

Yup. A male end plugs into mobo and PSU, and if you're putting on an extension, then the male part that would go into the mobo would go into the female end and the male end of the cablew would go into the mobo. For the CPU supplementary power cable, do you know if it's just any 4-pin header or if there's a special one that has to be used?

Tip to those that are new on LTT forum- quote a post so that the person you are quoting gets a notification, otherwise they'll have no idea that you did. You can also use a tag such as @Ryoutarou97 (replace my username with anyone's. You should get a dropdown after you type the "@")to send a notification, but quoting is preferable.

Feel free to PM me about absolutely anything be it tech, math, literature, etc. I'll try my best to help. I'm currently looking for a cheap used build for around $25 to set up as a home server if anyone is selling.

If you are a native speaker please use proper English if you can. Punctuation, capitalization, and spelling are as important to making your message readable as proper night theme formatting is.

My build is fully operational, but won't be posted until after I get a GPU in it and the case arted up.

You want female ATX terminals for PSU to GPU/Mobo, for extensions it's Male to female.

Female ATX terminal:

post-4038-0-44595900-1436930716.jpg