Laptop for School

Shadskular

Hello Forum!

Recently I have been looking for a new laptop for me to take back and forth from school, as I am having major issues with my current one . My price range is around 1000 USD, and I am hoping for something that is fairly portable (I can tolerate up to about 4.5 lbs/2.1 kg), no need for an optical drive. A discrete graphics card can also help, (I plan on disabling it when I don't need it for better battery if needed) and a decent i5 or i7 CPU for the occasional game. (TF2, Garry's Mod, numerous racing games [therefore the good CPU for the physics], no super heavy FPS games). For storage, I am fine with at least 500 GB of mechanical storage, though and SSD or SSHD will be nice. I want to stay in the 13-16 inch range for physical size, and 1080p non-touch or higher is good for the display. So far, I have taken a look at the Lenovo Y50 and Y40, a modestly upgraded Dell XPS 13 and a Vostro 5840, . An added bonus would be decent build quality and rigidity, as the biggest in my past PC was caused because of that. With that, do you guys have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions for a laptop!

Thanks,

Shadskular

Also I need a Windows PC. Sorry Apple.

Wow i love how specific you are, I would go with one of the lenovos you looked at if i were you

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Survived the Survivor 2299

Audio Engineer, Lighting Programmer, Video Engineer, FOH.

MacBook

Reported

/s

The Wannabe is no longer. Replaced by the Flotilla. If you replace every part of a computer is it still the same computer?

Lenovo

Speedtests

WiFi - 7ms, 22Mb down, 10Mb up

Ethernet - 6ms, 47.5Mb down, 9.7Mb up

Rigs

Spoiler

Type            Desktop

OS              Windows 10 Pro

CPU             i5-4430S

RAM             8GB CORSAIR XMS3 (2x4gb)

Cooler          LC Power LC-CC-97 65W

Motherboard     ASUS H81M-PLUS

GPU             GeForce GTX 1060

Storage         120GB Sandisk SSD (boot), 750GB Seagate 2.5" (storage), 500GB Seagate 2.5" SSHD (cache)

Spoiler

Type            Server

OS              Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

CPU             Core 2 Duo E6320

RAM             2GB Non-ECC

Motherboard     ASUS P5VD2-MX SE

Storage         RAID 1: 250GB WD Blue and Seagate Barracuda

Uses            Webserver, NAS, Mediaserver, Database Server

Quotes of Fame

On 8/27/2015 at 10:09 AM, Drixen said:

Linus is light years ahead a lot of other YouTubers, he isn't just an average YouTuber.. he's legitimately, legit.

On 10/11/2015 at 11:36 AM, Geralt said:

When something is worth doing, it's worth overdoing.

On 6/22/2016 at 10:05 AM, trag1c said:

It's completely blown out of proportion. Also if you're the least bit worried about data gathering then you should go live in a cave a 1000Km from the nearest establishment simply because every device and every entity gathers information these days. In the current era privacy is just fallacy and nothing more.

Reported

/s

why

why

Do you really think i reported you? /s means sarcasm.

But seriously a mac is a bad idea if he wants to play any games at all

A Mac is just a bad idea.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

Thanks for your advice guys! One more thing, I also checked out the MSI PX60 series. What do you think of that?

i game sometime on my mac.

i game sometime on my mac.

I am leaving now. Im not going to start this flame war

Hello Forum!

Recently I have been looking for a new laptop for me to take back and forth from school, as I am having major issues with my current one . My price range is around 1000 USD, and I am hoping for something that is fairly portable (I can tolerate up to about 4.5 lbs/2.1 kg), no need for an optical drive. A discrete graphics card can also help, (I plan on disabling it when I don't need it for better battery if needed) and a decent i5 or i7 CPU for the occasional game. (TF2, Garry's Mod, numerous racing games [therefore the good CPU for the physics], no super heavy FPS games). For storage, I am fine with at least 500 GB of mechanical storage, though and SSD or SSHD will be nice. I want to stay in the 13-16 inch range for physical size, and 1080p non-touch or higher is good for the display. So far, I have taken a look at the Lenovo Y50 and Y40, a modestly upgraded Dell XPS 13 and a Vostro 5840, . An added bonus would be decent build quality and rigidity, as the biggest in my past PC was caused because of that. With that, do you guys have any suggestions? I would greatly appreciate any help or suggestions for a laptop!

Thanks,

Shadskular

Also I need a Windows PC. Sorry Apple.

http://www.xoticpc.com/msi-ge62-apache276-p-8459.html?wconfigure=yes

Frost | 7700K @ 4.9GHz 1.36v, delidded | Asus DUAL GTX 1060 6GB OC | Corsair LPX 16GB DDR4 2800MHz | Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD + Toshiba 1TB HDD + Toshiba 2TB HDD + Samsung 860 EVO 1TB SSD for macOS | Asus PRIME Z270-A | Fractal Design Celsius S24 | Seasonic M12-II 620W PSU | Corsair 400C White | NZXT Hue+

Samsung Galaxy S8 | Stock

Ticwatch E (Black) | Ticwatch Brown Leather Strap

I am leaving now. Im not going to start this flame war

ok but i didn't want to start a flame war.