Overclocking i7 4790k with 212 evo

I want to overclock my 4790k to 4.6 ghz and i have a 212 evo. Is it able to keep nice and cool or i have to buy better cooler?

unless you get really lucky you wont be able to get to 4.6 with a 212 evo

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Will be fine for a 1.3v (which is the recommended voltage) overclock.

I'd just shoot straight for 47 multiplier and 1.3v.

a 212 evo will not keep a 4790k below 85C at 1.3v

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Yes he will.

no

that will likely require 1.2v or more

unless he gets lucky like I said

and a 212 evo is not enough for that voltage unless you enjoy letting your CPUs overheat every time you do something intensive

Spoiler

Yeah, with the 212 at higher TDPs you start to see temperatures climb quite quickly. Remember, it only has four heatpipes and if the power is more than they can handle comfortably, performance just falls off a cliff no matter how fast your fans spin.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.

But what cooler should i buy then, should i buy the h80 or save up and buy h100 little later and in the meanwhile stay on the stock speeds?

Yeah, with the 212 at higher TDPs you start to see temperatures climb quite quickly. Remember, it only has four heatpipes and if the power is more than they can handle comfortably, performance just falls off a cliff no matter how fast your fans spin.

This is kind of why I personally recommend either getting a closed loop or a Noctua cooler for overclocking, since they can handle the heat better than the Cooler Master.

That's not to say the Cooler Master's a bad air cooler at all. In fact, it's a really good cooler. But for overclocking, I wouldn't personally recommend it on relatively high end CPUs.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

no

that will likely require 1.2v or more

unless he gets lucky like I said

and a 212 evo is not enough for that voltage unless you enjoy letting your CPUs overheat every time you do something intensive

My personal experience leads me to disagree.

Intel's problem is mostly with heat transfer not with heat produced. Devil's Canyon reduced the problem but doesn't eliminate it. A 212 is capable of dissipating about 180W of heat.

I ran my 4690K @ 1.32V and under Intel XTU (so highest stress on multiple instructions) I saw 82c as a peak temp on it, spending most of the time between 75 and 80c.

Let's assume HT adds 5c to max temp because they are the same die otherwise, we peak at 87c theoretically. A bit on the high side but otherwise safe.

Intel rates the TJ Max at 100c. So we are over 10c under TJ Max under a full synthetic load.

In gaming or other tasks I see between 60 and 70c. At 1.32V, so the extra 20mV probably makes up for the rough 5c gap between the two.

This was with my fans at inaudible levels.

My personal experience leads me to disagree.

Intel's problem is mostly with heat transfer not with heat produced. Devil's Canyon reduced the problem but doesn't eliminate it. A 212 is capable of dissipating about 180W of heat.

I ran my 4690K @ 1.32V and under Intel XTU (so highest stress on multiple instructions) I saw 82c as a peak temp on it, spending most of the time between 75 and 80c.

Let's assume HT adds 5c to max temp because they are the same die otherwise, we peak at 87c theoretically. A bit on the high side but otherwise safe.

Intel rates the TJ Max at 100c. So we are over 10c under TJ Max under a full synthetic load.

In gaming or other tasks I see between 60 and 70c. At 1.32V, so the extra 20mV probably makes up for the rough 5c gap between the two.

This was with my fans at inaudible levels.

the 4790k runs about 10C hotter than the 4690k

Intel-4690k-temps.jpg

and going over 85C is out of the safe zone

keep in mind the 3770k runs cooler than the 4770k and 4790k

temp-load.jpg

Spoiler

the 4790k runs about 10C hotter than the 4690k

and going over 85C is out of the safe zone

keep in mind the 3770k runs cooler than the 4770k and 4790k

At stock; yes.

The 4790K comes at a higher turbo voltage out of the box to achieve that 4.4Ghz rating.

I've seen chips validated at ~1.2V out of the box at max turbo.

Look at the 2 overclocked speeds on your graph at the top there, the 4790K at 4.8GHz is 4c more than the 4690K at 4.6GHz. But they didn't say what was cooling the 4790K...

I say go for it.  Though, for max potential you probably should upgrade to a pair of quality SP fans in push pull.  And remember that no air cooler works well unless you supply a steady flow of cool air through the chassis.

Work up your OC slowly and you might be pleasantly surprised.  Otherwise it was a relatively inexpensive experiment.

This is kind of why I personally recommend either getting a closed loop or a Noctua cooler for overclocking, since they can handle the heat better than the Cooler Master.

That's not to say the Cooler Master's a bad air cooler at all. In fact, it's a really good cooler. But for overclocking, I wouldn't personally recommend it on relatively high end CPUs.

It's very good, in fact. But there's a threshold above which the temps start to climb rapidly with increasing TDP, which is true for any heatpipe cooler. An overclocked 4790k is past that threshold for the 212.

I cannot be held responsible for any bad advice given.

I've no idea why the world is afraid of 3D-printed guns when clearly 3D-printed crossbows would be more practical for now.

My rig: The StealthRay. Plans for a newer, better version of its mufflers are already being made.