i3 4330 vs G3258

Go to solution Solved by othertomperson,

Get a 4330 with a b85 or h81 since it doesn't overclock anyway and save yourself money on the mobo, and the cooler and put it into getting a 280x. 

You don't need Z97 to overclock the Pentium.

You don't need a particularly effective cooler to overclock the Pentium.

I use an overclocked Pentium in my HTPC with an MSI H81M-E34 and a Noctua NH-L9i.

That said if it's for gaming I still recommend the i3, but people stop perpetuating these myths about the Pentium G3258

Hi guys, i need help with my cpu choice. I'm planning to buil a new low end pc and i need to know wich Cpu to buy.

I will use this rig for gaming and i will upgrade the rig in 6/12 months.

I play FPS mostly (BF4).

Mobo: Msi Z97 Gaming G45

GPU: Evga Gtx 750ti FTW edition

SSD: Kingston hyper fury x 240 gb

RAM:Kingston hyperx savage 1866 8gb CL9

PSU:Evga 650w supernova gs

Wich one i should buy? The g3258 OC is better than the 4330?

I use this CPU In another build, with a 660ti, It actually doesn't run half bad overclocked, with the G3258 & 660ti, I'm getting about 70fps on highest settings, On battlefield 4.

I think that graphics card is what'll really be holding you back...

AMD has stronger offerings.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

This pentium overclocked has nice performance, the problem is that some games are not supporting dual cores anymore, so I would go for i3 or Athlon 860K.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

Hi guys, i need help with my cpu choice. I'm planning to buil a new low end pc and i need to know wich Cpu to buy.

I will use this rig for gaming and i will upgrade the rig in 6/12 months.

I play FPS mostly (BF4).

Mobo: Msi Z97 Gaming G45

GPU: Evga Gtx 750ti FTW edition

SSD: Kingston hyper fury x 240 gb

RAM:Kingston hyperx savage 1866 8gb CL9

PSU:Evga 650w supernova gs

Wich one i should buy? The g3258 OC is better than the 4330?

drop the ssd, get 1600mhz ram and use the money you save to get a better GPU

drop the ssd, get 1600mhz ram and use the money you save to get a better GPU

Yeap, some R9 380 would be cool.

Spoiler

Main PC: CPU Xeon E3-1231 V3 - MB Asrock B85M Pro3 - RAM 16GB Kingston - GPU GTX 1070 Gainward Phoenix - PSU Corsair AX760i - Monitor  LG 22EA63 - Keyboard Corsair Strafe - Mouse Logitech G402 - Storage 2x3TB WD Green - 240GB OCZ SSD

I need the z97 mobo because i will upgrade the rig in 6 or 12 months and i can't drop the SSD and RAM because i get those components 25% cheaper in a local store. Keep in mind that i live in Switzerland, my budget at the moment is 850 CHF.

Should i get the 4330 then?

I will upgrade in future for a 4790k and at least a 980 or 980ti and i will upgrade to water cooling and more storage, but for now i'm stuck with my budget.

Get a 4330 with a b85 or h81 since it doesn't overclock anyway and save yourself money on the mobo, and the cooler and put it into getting a 280x. 

I use an overclocked Pentium in my HTPC with an MSI H81M-E34 and a Noctua NH-L9i.

That said if it's for gaming I still recommend the i3, but people stop perpetuating these myths about the Pentium G3258

I have a pentium.  It is overclocked to 4.5 on the stock cooler. I have a z87.  So i'm pretty sure I know all of the above. 

But to get high enough overclocks to make it keep up with an i3, you need a more expensive mobo than running a stock 4330.

I need the z97 mobo because i will upgrade the rig in 6 or 12 months and i can't drop the SSD and RAM because i get those components 25% cheaper in a local store. Keep in mind that i live in Switzerland, my budget at the moment is 850 CHF.

Should i get the 4330 then?

I will upgrade in future for a 4790k and at least a 980 or 980ti and i will upgrade to water cooling and more storage, but for now i'm stuck with my budget.

If you are stuck in this budget don't get that 750Ti, the r9 265 will easily out preform it at the same price.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

If you are stuck in this budget don't get that 750Ti, the r9 265 will easily out preform it at the same price.

I don't think there is that much difference and the 750ti it would cost 119CHF vs the 159 for the 265.

I have a pentium.  It is overclocked to 4.5 on the stock cooler. I have a z87.  So i'm pretty sure I know all of the above. 

But to get high enough overclocks to make it keep up with an i3, you need a more expensive mobo than running a stock 4330.

My motherboard is handling 1.3V well enough, I don't care to push either it nor the CPU harder than that.

My motherboard is handling 1.3V well enough, I don't care to push either it nor the CPU harder than that.

Guys i just need to know if i should buy the i3 or the pentium. I will upgrade the rig in future so don't tell me to change the rest of the rig, thanks.

Guys i just need to know if i should buy the i3 or the pentium. I will upgrade the rig in future so don't tell me to change the rest of the rig, thanks.

We've all already answered that question.

I don't think there is that much difference and the 750ti it would cost 119CHF vs the 159 for the 265.

There is much of difference, regardless those are shitty prices. I would stick with the 750ti IF you are completely unable to find a r9 270 or r7 265 at a good price.

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

We've all already answered that question.

Ok thank you all guys

There is much of difference, regardless those are shitty prices. 

I know but the electronic parts in Switzerland cost a lot of money because of taxes.