Looking in to chromebooks

Hey everyone. I've been looking in to some chromebooks as just a college note taking machine. I understand that they have figured out how to get linux on chromebooks so I was wondering which of these would be best for that kind of thing. I've only really looked in to acer but if there is anything else let me know. I just want linux so I can stream games from my desktop. http://us.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/compare/NX.SHEAA.017-NX.EF2AA.002-NX.EF3AA.010-NX.EF3AA.004 Sorry if this is all disjointed sounding but I am just crazy tired right now and need to go to bed haha any help is appreciated.

SNIP

Have you looked into the HP Stream windows machines? similar performance and cost but with full windows

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Have you looked into the HP Stream windows machines? similar performance and cost but with full windows

I have seen those but I like the look of chrome os. I know it is definitely not practical but I can always switch to linux if need be

I have seen those but I like the look of chrome os. I know it is definitely not practical but I can always switch to linux if need be

honestly if you are a student I would strongly recommend a windows machine, just incase you need specific software that is windows only, you can just install steam natively

Chrome OS is basically.. chrome browser... there is not much to it , and its super restrictive, sure linux is better but it means fucking around

If you want a chromebook, then I would look for one with an IPS display, SSD and most up to date CPU

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

honestly if you are a student I would strongly recommend a windows machine, just incase you need specific software that is windows only, you can just install steam natively

Chrome OS is basically.. chrome browser... there is not much to it , and its super restrictive, sure linux is better but it means fucking around

If you want a chromebook, then I would look for one with an IPS display, SSD and most up to date CPU

That software thing is a very good point.. I totally failed to realize that. I just don't like the cheap look of the hp streams. Honestly I have a budget of up to around $450 so I might have to do some more digging *sigh* Might you have a suggestion off the top of your head? If not, no worries. I can always look around

That software thing is a very good point.. I totally failed to realize that. I just don't like the cheap look of the hp streams. Honestly I have a budget of up to around $450 so I might have to do some more digging *sigh* Might you have a suggestion off the top of your head? If not, no worries. I can always look around

$450? well you can get something way better for that budget, can get a surface 3 for $499

or maybe like an i3/i5 laptop, or something like a yoga 

$450? well you can get something way better for that budget, can get a surface 3 for $499

or maybe like an i3/i5 laptop, or something like a yoga 

Oh man I TOTALLY forgot about the surface 3.. I will probably get that just for the fact that I can actually write on it with the pen thing. Thanks for talking me out of the chromebook 

Also, for note taking, you want to use OneNote (free). You need Windows for that.

I think chrome must have something but ya, good point still. Definitely can't deny windows' functionality

Oh man I TOTALLY forgot about the surface 3.. I will probably get that just for the fact that I can actually write on it with the pen thing. Thanks for talking me out of the chromebook 

I think chrome must have something but ya, good point still. Definitely can't deny windows' functionality

Its cool I used to be on computer sales so I am good at talking people around :P

yeah surface 3 is the ideal student device