Windows 10 rollout is severely stressing CDN's currently at 10Tbps and rising

AlexGoesHigh

Its the 29th in half of the planet right now and Windows 10 is getting in the hands of a lot of eager users. So much so that CDN's services are getting hammered because of it.

Streaming Media is citing internal sources and is saying that Microsoft has reserved up to 40 Tbps with all of the key CDNs which is a massive amount of bandwidth. As of July 28th at 1PM ET, Microsoft is said to already be consuming over 10 Tbps and seeing that all regions are not yet online for deployment, it's only going to go higher.

As a comparison Apple events uses up to 8Tbps, straining networks around the planet and given that Microsoft has reserved 40Tbps it is expected to be five times bigger that any Apple event, this measure puts in perspective that the deployment is no joke to Microsoft and could be the biggest deployment Microsoft has ever done until today, it wouldn't be surprising if by the 30th the numbers of Windows 10 users get as high as dozens of millions

Source: Neowin

if you wondered why the rollout is staged this is exactly why, also just to clarify 10Tbps is bits not bytes if it were bytes it would be 1.25TBps

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Not surprised. Good traffic means business no?

ROG X570-F Strix AMD R9 5900X | EK Elite 360 | EVGA 3080 FTW3 Ultra | G.Skill Trident Z Neo 64gb | Samsung 980 PRO 
ROG Strix XG349C Corsair 4000 | Bose C5 | ROG Swift PG279Q

Logitech G810 Orion Sennheiser HD 518 |  Logitech 502 Hero

These kinds of numbers get me really excited.

As an IT guy I wish I could meet the people responsible for handling the deployment specifics. The amount of planning must be insane and it would be totally awesome to pick the brains of the people behind it.

Edit: Akamai, one of the biggest CDNs has a page for monitoring internet traffic in semi-realtime, appears to update every 5 mins. Right now its showing 47% above normal. https://www.akamai.com/us/en/solutions/intelligent-platform/visualizing-akamai/real-time-web-monitor.jsp

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

Like organising a sweet party, just with data and you don't have a huge food bill B)

CPU: AMD 7800X3D Motherboard: NZXT B650E RAM: 32GB 5600 30-CL Corsair Vengeance DDR5 GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 2070 PSU: Corsair RM850i Monitor: Samsung 27" 4K thing Cooling:Noctua Chromax Black NH-D15: Case: NZXT H510 Black

Like organising a sweet party, just with data and you don't have a huge food bill B)

this is more like authorities trying to clear traffic as fast as possible after the super bowl ended, you have to move people (in this case data) fast

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

These kinds of numbers get me really excited.

As an IT guy I wish I could meet the people responsible for handling the deployment specifics. The amount of planning must be insane and it would be totally awesome to pick the brains of the people behind it.

True, Microsoft have some of the smartest people there are. I think a P2P network would be perfect for such huge demand, but with the flak it has been getting lately I understand why they didn't go with it...

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

True, Microsoft have some of the smartest people there are. I think a P2P network would be perfect for such huge demand, but with the flak it has been getting lately I understand why they didn't go with it...

its a shame the windows 10 update didn't use it.

But windows 10 does do it now.

lan and to the world.

its a shame the windows 10 update didn't use it.

But windows 10 does do it now.

lan and to the world.

that feature is limited to local networks not the entire internet, ISP would be very mad at MS, this feature is more handy for deploying updates to a enterprise network

that feature is limited to local networks not the entire internet, ISP would be very mad at MS, this feature is more handy for deploying updates to a enterprise network

Not true its internet as well

JJE6RbM.png

source?

according to windows 10 it is the internet.

Why would isps be mad?

P2P for life

source?

according to windows 10 it is the internet.

Why would isps be mad?

P2P for life

yeah i got corrected i though that was only for a local network

Its the 29th in half of the planet right now and Windows 10 is getting in the hands of a lot of eager users. So much so that CDN's services are getting hammered because of it.

Streaming Media is citing internal sources and is saying that Microsoft has reserved up to 40 Tbps with all of the key CDNs which is a massive amount of bandwidth. As of July 28th at 1PM ET, Microsoft is said to already be consuming over 10 Tbps and seeing that all regions are not yet online for deployment, it's only going to go higher.

As a comparison Apple events uses up to 8Tbps, straining networks around the planet and given that Microsoft has reserved 40Tbps it is expected to be five times bigger that any Apple event, this measure puts in perspective that the deployment is no joke to Microsoft and could be the biggest deployment Microsoft has ever done until today, it wouldn't be surprising if by the 30th the numbers of Windows 10 users get as high as dozens of millions

Source: Neowin

if you wondered why the rollout is staged this is exactly why, also just to clarify 10Tbps is bits not bytes if it were bytes it would be 1.25TBps

and some told me this is easy for CDNs when I said it would be hard to get win 10 out there. lol he was wrong.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

Wasn't sure if I wanted to upgraded to Win10 immediately but the hype is getting to me and I'm becoming envious for those getting it.

Wasn't sure if I wanted to upgraded to Win10 immediately but the hype is getting to me and I'm becoming envious for those getting it.

im on it, and it is fine.

been using it since October 

So excited! I'm staying up until midnight just so I can install it and mess around with it!

COMIC SANS

So excited! I'm staying up until midnight just so I can install it and mess around with it!

1. i doubt you will get right away 

2. if on hdd expect an hour or so+ to install. 

1. i doubt you will get right away 

2. if on hdd expect an hour or so+ to install. 

1) Most of the files are already downloaded onto my computer.

2) I keep Windows on an SSD.

Again, hype.

:D

COMIC SANS

I won't get it at least until first week of August because I sold my desktop so I'm getting Win 10 when I buy a new laptop. And since I'm moving August 1st I have to wait until at least then to order it or else it might show up at my old address after I have already moved. :o

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I won't get it at least until first week of August because I sold my desktop so I'm getting Win 10 when I buy a new laptop. And since I'm moving August 1st I have to wait until at least then to order it or else it might show up at my old address after I have already moved. :o

you share my pain

peer2peer would of been a good idea for win 10... also would of showed a legitimate use of P2P in the form of bittorrent or something. 

But guess they decided to crash the entire internet instead. good job MS.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Torrent would have been a great, you'd have it downloaded faster than you can say "OH MY GOOOOD!!!!"

I'm Batman!

Steam: Rukiri89 | uPlay: Rukiri89 | Origin: XxRukiriXx | Xbox LIVE: XxRUKIRIxX89 | PSN: Ericks1989 | Nintendo Network ID: Rukiri

Project Xenos: Motherboard: MSI Z170a M9 ACK | CPU: i7 6700k | Ram: G.Skil TridentZ 16GB 3000mhz | PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850w G2 | Case: Caselabs SMA8 | Cooling: Custom Loop | Still in progress